Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

For the price I have heard for the building they should have a super  on site and doorman.

10 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

This just really doesn't look nice.

I wouldn't want to pay all that money to feel like I had to walk into some scary/drab, cabrini green looking building just to get to my nice home every day. 

Are we going to get a residential building somewhere between "Pretty in Pink"& "Candyman" at any point? 

36 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

"2003 newly divorced dad just bought a sports car and he's trying coke for the first time on a business trip"

For the "first time".

To me it screams, I'm going to stay another night in Tempe after my business trip so I can go watch some ASU girls at the bars on Mill Street. :tw_sweat_smile:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

I can understand why some might not like this design, but I find it one of the more interesting projects in the city for a couple of reasons: 

1. Not all blue glass

2. Inset balconies -- adds a different layer to the boxiness of the design

3. The light touches to the concrete that do have some partial deco flair. Particularly in the dark section

4. I love the windows from what I've seen. Very industrial vibe, and I am a big fan of large picture windows. 

I think once this is structurally complete, they will do a clean of the building and also touch up the streetscape. I remain open minded and intrigued by this project. 

Agreed. I think what does disappoint me is the lack of contrast between the different color panels. There was more contrast in the rendering with the lighter color popping more, IMO. This is more one note than I hoped. 

I do like the industrial vibe. Calling this “scary” or like Cabrini Green is a little much. 

Edited by Bruco72
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 9:03 AM, TheOneRJ said:

The interior more than justifies the bland exterior, IMO. Too bad rent here will be astronomical, otherwise I’d consider getting a unit myself. These apartments have more upscale finishes than prime Uptown towers. 

That's my point. When I go home every day, the first thing I see is the outside. I want to be happy about going home because my home "greets" me. The reason I purchased my house is because the outside was as nice as the inside. This is not. Nothing about it is nice or even acceptable for the amount these people will have to pay, imo. It is not interesting. It is not nice. It is not stylish. It is nothing.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, thenewkage95 said:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, but does anyone have the exact height of this building? All I can find is the floor count (which is fairly obvious since it’s topped out at this point).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

176' source, my article lol

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/156197/view-renderings-the-definitive-guide-to-charlottes-changing-skyline/

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Where would a second phase go? Also, is Balfour the best tenant for the Design district?

Second phase will be on West and Hawkins, it was closed on by Childress Klein a few months back for a hefty chunk of change, the name of the LLC was "Design Center Phase 2 LLC." I have heard eventually there will be a 100k office building built nearby to be anchored by Balfour, and thus opening up that space for other uses. Unclear if that would be phase 2, or possibly phase 3.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Balfour is currently under construction on their new front door to their design center office that will be on Hawkins. They're converting the loading docks into their reception area and adding one more retail space that'll front the alley next to Fit Atelier. They're not moving anywhere. Their current front door opening to the plaza area where Jeni's is will be new retail spaces. I'm sure there will be an announcement soon on the tenant. 

Thanks, interesting. I had heard that a number of companies had been engaged about building a office building. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...