Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

17 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Why? Recession? Charlotte while not recession proof, is in a pretty good place overall. People will still be moving here in droves.

You think?  YOY population growth numbers looked pretty meager.   One year not enough to establish a trend but I'm curious about your confidence that we'll get population in droves.  Might there be a leveling off?  And recession brings a lot less talent churn as companies cancel hires or significantly slow down hiring, so new hires as a source of inbounds starts to dwindle.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, RANYC said:

You think?  YOY population growth numbers looked pretty meager.   One year not enough to establish a trend but I'm curious about your confidence that we'll get population in droves.  Might there be a leveling off?  And recession brings a lot less talent churn as companies cancel hires or significantly slow down hiring, so new hires as a source of inbounds starts to dwindle.

The metro grew by 31000. I mean, I am not sure where the leveling off is? 

• Like 2

Why? Recession? Charlotte while not recession proof, is in a pretty good place overall. People will still be moving here in droves.

Seems that way since the pandemic. It’s been resilient. Some forecast a recession 2-3 years from now but some say it could be next year as well so not sure. There’s also some that say we don’t even know we’re in a recession until well into it or at it’s lowest point I may have misheard/misread that.
  • Like 1

I think there are multiple definitions and all subjective. It's just a label we attach to the state of the economy I guess. Regardless we are definitely in an economic decline and I've seen many saying it will last a while. NC as a whole has stayed very resilient through the last couple years though so let's see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

The metro grew by 31000. I mean, I am not sure where the leveling off is? 

Should the country fall into recession , your post seemed to suggest that Charlotte would be especially resilient (you were careful to note not recession-proof) because of population growth. 

Charlotte may indeed be resilient,  but I was questioning any sort of differentiated population growth (coming in droves) as a legit cause of it because on a relative basis, the growth was sort of middle-of-the-pack among large metros.

I was expressing some doubt or equivocation on cause.  I tend to err on the side of skepticism.

Also, rate-wise, 31k on a metro of 2.7m would suggest a bit of leveling off, although too early to say if the rate in one or two years is the start of a long-term trend.  Cities which have experienced growth start to see price surges and other growth “issues” reflect an overextension of resources to accommodate growth, and so they become less desirable to those sources of growth, and thus experience a leveling off.  That can ease some measure of strain on those already residing.

Population figures and percentage increases aren’t,  alone, reasons to celebrate.

• Thanks 1

NC and SC should jointly build a heavy rail project like NY and Chicago have.  If traffic/congestion weren’t a problem, vast areas south, east, and west of Charlotte could be developed.  With the right infrastructure, Charlotte could equal (if not surpass) Atlanta.

The first line should run along 77 from Mooresville to Rock Hill.

Edited by SydneycartonII
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Now, I want to preemptively say that I'm not saying I want growth in the area to halt or anything, but I wouldn't mind seeing  a slow leveling off for a short time.  Nothing sudden as to scare away any investment and development too much but the area could use a bit of a breather.  A little bit of a catching up so to speak.  I think Charlotte and the surrounding areas are, for the most part, doing a commendable job at handling the huge influx of people over the last three decades, but with every year that goes by it feels like that gap is widening ever so slightly. 

I'm sure there are places that are tackling their growth with a clearer and more concise plan, but we are certainly doing better than the majority of the other boomtowns.  I mean, just here in the south I can point to Orlando and Nashville.  I don't think they're doing quite as well with their infrastructure as we are here.  Sure, our regional transport planning is lagging, but the fact that our cost of living is still competitive compared to our peers while still getting some pretty major projects completed tells me we're doing some things right. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SydneycartonII said:

NC and SC should jointly build a heavy rail project like NY and Chicago have.  If traffic/congestion weren’t a problem, vast areas south, east, and west of Charlotte could be developed.  With the right infrastructure, Charlotte could equal (if not surpass) Atlanta.

The first line should run along 77 from Mooresville to Rock Hill.

One thing that I've thought about through the years is, why follow interstates with these rail lines? Everyone does, and I can see why with land and easements, etc.  But, wouldn't it make sense to run rail into areas where there aren't freeways already?  For instance, Matthews to Charlotte, or SouthPark to downtown?  Seems redundant to have a freeway and rail line together.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Windsurfer said:

One thing that I've thought about through the years is, why follow interstates with these rail lines? Everyone does, and I can see why with land and easements, etc.  But, wouldn't it make sense to run rail into areas where there aren't freeways already?  For instance, Matthews to Charlotte, or SouthPark to downtown?  Seems redundant to have a freeway and rail line together.

Yes, but the land already exists along the interstate.  It seems like it would be nearly impossible to acquire 50 or 60 miles of land from private property owners.

16 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

I'm not an expert but just looking at Google Earth tells me some of the answer: freeways run through the developed areas. Charlotte's metro area, like many, has sort of a star or spiky shape to it, with suburbs running along freeways that extend out from the city. So building rail away from those might just be crossing through a bunch of rural or wooded land. 

I'm curious which came first, the suburb pattern or the freeways. My guess is a bit of chicken or egg, both influenced each other.

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

I'm not an expert but just looking at Google Earth tells me some of the answer: freeways run through the developed areas. Charlotte's metro area, like many, has sort of a star or spiky shape to it, with suburbs running along freeways that extend out from the city. So building rail away from those might just be crossing through a bunch of rural or wooded land. 

I'm curious which came first, the suburb pattern or the freeways. My guess is a bit of chicken or egg, both influenced each other.

Many interstates followed the routes of old US highways that were built prior to the interstate system. Those US highways, in turn, follow even older roads that were prominent well before cars. In many cases, I suspect, those roads follow old trading paths extending as far back as Native Americans. Interstate 81 through Virginia is a good example of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

Roads lead to development.  Think about it, beltways are built through open land, and what follows?  Strip malls, subdivisions and on an on.

Not to continue to derail the threads topic but this I think is an important thing to mention: Redundancy is the goal. Providing multiple options of travel so the car is not the only means of transportation. Even making other more efficient modes more favorable if possible. Traffic is a product of bottle necking. Providing other options reduces volume in other infrastructure such as highways. I wouldn’t say they should follow right on top of each other but should follow close or similar paths in redundancy. This would improve and expand modes of transport. Reduce congestion. Rail can carry a significant amount of people as it is known for mass transit for less space and less energy. (This is not to confuse the redundancy of 277 lol that is a waste and could actually improve quality of life for all residents near and all over Charlotte of designed properly)

Edit: Hah! The unintentional pun in the beginning. Too funny.
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, atlrvr said:

Building permits for foundation and vertical package for Phase 2 have been filed within the last week.  (this would be 125 West Blvd, so the corner of West and Hawkins). 

Not much info gleaned yet.  RAM Realty is the developer, and RJT+R is the architect (out of Atlanta who I think was the architect on the Lowe's tower as well)

Clearly this is fully designed at this point, but I haven't heard/seen anyone confirm exactly what is planned. 

Any update on this project?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...