Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

I will give this one a pass on its potential two-tone stucco look because it is not the ubiquitous 4-6 story, boxy, stick-built junk with which Southend is otherwise infested.  At a minimum it will have to be constructed of steel and concrete, so that is a positive. 

It actually has some features that look like they were pulled from the Mint Museum tower's renderings. Overall, not too shabby.

Same architect.

• 2 weeks later...

10384196_878036436447_349314861316612674

Sure, here you go

Official 255' to the roof of the highest occupied unit.  Another 8-10' to the peak of the building.  So, call it  264'.

There are 2 retail space in addition the the leasing office.  Leasing office will front Worthington.  The two retail spaces will be at the corner of Worthington and Camden, and along Camden.  Tough to see in this rendering, but the portion right at the corner is actually recessed a bit at the ground level, with a covered mini-plaza there, which I assume indicates 1 or both retail spaces are restaurant.

There are 2 retail space in addition the the leasing office.  Leasing office will front Worthington.  The two retail spaces will be at the corner of Worthington and Camden, and along Camden.  Tough to see in this rendering, but the portion right at the corner is actually recessed a bit at the ground level, with a covered mini-plaza there, which I assume indicates 1 or both retail spaces are restaurant.

That's highly disappointing given the size of the site. I was expecting at least as much retail as Camden Gallery or 1616. 

That's highly disappointing given the size of the site. I was expecting at least as much retail as Camden Gallery or 1616. 

it has 7600 square feet and camden gallery has 9000 square feet. Design Center has 120 feet of frontage on Camden and Gallery has 260 plus 255 feet on West  before the deck entrance. If anything, be happy with design center and be disappointed with Camden. Not sure where else design center could put retail? 

it has 7600 square feet and camden gallery has 9000 square feet. Design Center has 120 feet of frontage on Camden and Gallery has 260 plus 255 feet on West  before the deck entrance. If anything, be happy with design center and be disappointed with Camden. Not sure where else design center could put retail? 

It looks like there is a lot of frontage on Worthington that won't be used, and seems like all of it can't be taken up by lobby/leasing. I guess there may be ground floor units/patios similar to Ashton? Anyway since there is some fledgling boutique shopping down around Worthington & Hawkins I assumed that Worthington would see some retail too and link it up. Gallery used almost all of its available frontage on both West and Camden and has a higher number of smaller spaces, not 2 huge expensive ones that will be less versatile. 

Would think an office tower in South End is a really difficult prospect unless they already have an anchor lined up.  Typically towers (as opposed to mid-rise) rely on larger average user sizes, and those firms typically go Uptown.  Typically creative or engineering or tech firms go to South End, and those users are just much smaller on average.

Also, the land cost differential is a relatively small component of construction costs when talking high-rise in South End vs Uptown.....wouldn't think it's possible to build new construction in South End with rents < $30/sf.

Now, if there is a large tenant already lined up that prefers South End, then sweet!  I'd love to be proven wrong.

• 5 months later...