Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

• 3 months later...
On April 1, 2016 at 3:46 PM, mpretori said:

Update on this? 

Nope. Lots of things going on behind the scenes with the Design Center of the Carolinas as a whole. Lots of different uses being considered for the entire project. The Parking Deck will be the first of a lot of coming announcements. Retail, Hotel, Residential, lots of things going on.

Quick question-- once you build a parking deck, how hard is it to build a tower on top of it years later?  Is it something you have to plan for from the beginning from a structural standpoint like the Portman tower above the Westin parking lot?  (They built the parking deck so a tower could be added later).  Or can you work around it?

It's not hard if it's planned for. The problem is that it often means spending a lot of up-front money for excessive structure (heavier steel, deeper foundation, etc) for a future project that may never exist. 

Parking deck column layouts are also notoriously incompatible with the layouts of actual useful (ie, not car parking) space, so extra care has to be taken to manage that structural challenge. Habitable spaces are not well designed if they use a parking space's 9'x18' module.

Edited by tozmervo

15 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's not hard if it's planned for. The problem is that it often means spending a lot of up-front money for excessive structure (heavier steel, deeper foundation, etc) for a future project that may never exist. 

Parking deck column layouts are also notoriously incompatible with the layouts of actual useful (ie, not car parking) space, so extra care has to be taken to manage that structural challenge. Habitable spaces are not well designed if they use a parking spaces 9'x18' module.

Pete Verna did it, and nearly two decades later we have a rather unattractive Hyatt Place.

I've been working on a rendering for the Design Center, just because, you know... I'm a nerd. Also because I'm trying to get into the development world as a designer. But the more I work on this, the more I'm starting to like the tower Ram is planning. Its got great lines. I just wanted to share the work in progress, its only about 40% complete, so don't judge it yet. 

Design-Center.jpg

10 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Looks great!  I wouldn't mind more of an outdoor courtyard look to connect the two structures.  Would allow for Camden's retail development to leak out to the surrounding streets.  This would require eliminating that parking lot that sits in the middle.

Thats what I as planning :-)

• 6 months later...

They are building a parking garage I think for Design Center tenants that ironically blocks the view of many of the new Helix townhomes. Since this tower is proposed on the parking lot that would seem a logical first step and the garage is almost complete. Here is a photo I took last weekend. (I was checking out the townhomes there under construction)

CAM07077.jpg

CAM07079.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, QCT1401 said:

Has there been any traction on the planned high rise next the this garage at the Design Center?  I was walking around this area recently and can't help but think about how awesome this section of Southend could be.  There is a ton of potential in the lots across from the design center right on Camden.  This area could truly be special if executed well.  Plus, I'm a sucker for neon signs - like the one Superica has put up outside their new spot.

Super.jpg

More plans will start to trickle out once the capacity issue is fixed

I’m obviously out of the loop with this but can anyone tell me what exactly is happening with Design Center? Retail? I’m just overly confused. 

9574b0386357c63ec39e8f4d3df013ed.jpg

Everything. Office, retail, residential, maybe a hotel. Google

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, BullDurhamer said:

ok, so I googled this and didn't find crap.  

I also come to this site to see development news rather than having to do random internet searches

Uhm... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=charlotte+design+center+redevelopment+plans

with the very first result "a building by building look at how 'Design District' will transform SouthEnd" by Charlotte Agenda... https://www.charlotteagenda.com/98116/building-building-look-design-district-will-transform-south-end/

The other results are not any worse....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I took the random comment as a suggestion that Google was leasing space...hmmmmm... maybe it was snark...

haha, lots of snark, no google. I just feel the reason these threads exist is to read and find out about a project. Asking for someone to summarize something complicated is a little silly.