Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

2 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

Design center was crushing it yesterday. 30 minute wait for a table at 2:30 at Hawkers. After walked over to Barcelona. Place opens at 4 and by 4:05 the bar and patio tables were full. 

Didnt partake but the line at Jeni’s was never less than 20 people.

Food and drinks were excellent at both. Bartender at Barcelona was fantastic 

13 minutes ago, nicholas said:

There was probably a 50 foot line of people outside of Jeni’s at about 5pm last night. I was going to grab some ice cream but didn’t feel like waiting quite that long. 

What's so special about this ice cream that people are willing to wait in lines that long or is it just that there are no other ice cream shops near by? 

9 minutes ago, NikolaTesla said:

What's so special about this ice cream that people are willing to wait in lines that long or is it just that there are no other ice cream shops near by? 

2 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Herd mentality.

I remember as a kid my parents took our family to the same beach every summer and there was one ice cream shop on town. Every year we would choose one evening to go, and stand in line for almost an hour to get their ice cream.

The ice cream was great but it never felt worth it. Especially as a kid who is antsy.

Though I'm sure waiting in line at a quaint old business with the entire community is probably half the point

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Jenis is popular because Charlotte loves “new, shiny, trendy” and places they can say “oh I’ve been there” it’s good ice cream. But no better than anything else. 

I had it once and thought it was better than the average ice cream place. Had unique flavors- mine was really good. The waffle cone was my favorite part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Jenis is popular because Charlotte loves “new, shiny, trendy” and places they can say “oh I’ve been there” it’s good ice cream. But no better than anything else. 

Certainly some truth to this, but lines outside of Jeni’s on a nice day isn’t just a Charlotte thing. 

15 hours ago, Jayvee said:

This is entirely dependent on what flavor profile one likes in ice cream. I could take or leave ice cream typically, but Jeni’s has impressed me every time I have gone with some of the best flavors I have ever had. They kill it with some of their complex and layered mixtures of sweet and salty profiles... super impressive for my palate that prefers savory over sweet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JoshuaDrown said:

This is entirely dependent on what flavor profile one likes in ice cream. I could take or leave ice cream typically, but Jeni’s has impressed me every time I have gone with some of the best flavors I have ever had. They kill it with some of their complex and layered mixtures of sweet and salty profiles... super impressive for my palate that prefers savory over sweet.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s delicious. But there’s no way in hell im waiting in the lines there has been for it. 

• Like 4

On 4/1/2019 at 12:54 PM, Sigma said:

Went to Superica for dinner Friday night and walked to Sycamore afterward.  This area felt AWESOME.  There were SO many people out and about strolling from one place to the other.  It felt like I was in a much bigger city than Charlotte.

I agree 100%  5pm on the rail trial is mind boggling.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cmwilson24 said:

The city should be doubling and tripling down on the rail trail - its the best thing I've seen the city do and still could be so much better 

Edens, and Portman have very big time plans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...