Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

So the rumors were true.  That stinks.  As awesome as the Camden corridor is becoming, it sort of sucks that there is such a lack of local, non-chain restaurants and businesses.  Almost everything is a national or regional brand.  

If I recall, DFA is holding out for local businesses to fill its retail spots.  Hopefully that comes to fruition.

Edited by CTiger
Details
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CriticalT said:

Let’s check out the cool new bar/restaurant/store they just opened in southend this weekend.  My friend went to one in Orlando/Birmingham/Columbus/New York yeet  

Market dictates what the market gets. And yes DFA is holding out, but good luck, they need to bring down rents if they want local

I did not include my favorite Superica as a chain.  Yes it has locations in Atlanta and Houston in addition to this one but I consider this a chef driven restaurant with a few outposts.

Everyone says they want local but then they go online because some big Mega website sells it cheaper and gets it delivered to their door.  Unfortunately the rents are too high in uptown and now even in Southend for local based shops that are non food oriented.   Hopefully Portman and their food hall in their office tower gets built.    You want lots of local non food retailers go to any small town around Charlotte like Mt Holly, Belmont, downtown Gastonia, Concord, Mooresville even Waxhaw.  

• Like 1

No. Yes. 

You crazy if you think the first. That people don’t care. No, JV, you don’t care bud, but a good amount do. Pikes isn’t anything special, and I have no allegiance to it, but Shake Shack is such a waste here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be pretty easy to see what the South End populace prefers.  Can be measured by the relative crowds.  Would love to see Pike's to move back to Shamrock (it's former home is still vacant) and that area is now seeing rapid growth, and rents would be much much lower.

Ultimately, Pike's is selling nostalgia more than anything else, which is a limited market in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You crazy if you think the first. That people don’t care. No, JV, you don’t care bud, but a good amount do. Pikes isn’t anything special, and I have no allegiance to it, but Shake Shack is such a waste here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not crazy. Atlrvr is right on. Hawkers is blah at best but has a 2 hour wait, but bulgogi box right down the street doesn’t. Jenis is good but not outrageous but two scoops and golden cow never are raging. Etc etc etc. but yeah could def be a better tenant with money instead of the shack. But you bet your ass it’ll have a line out the door constantly  the market wants new shiny hip instagrammable be seen places  

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Not crazy. Atlrvr is right on. Hawkers is blah at best but has a 2 hour wait, but bulgogi box right down the street doesn’t. Jenis is good but not outrageous but two scoops and golden cow never are raging. Etc etc etc. but yeah could def be a better tenant with money instead of the shack. But you bet your ass it’ll have a line out the door constantly  the market wants new shiny hip instagrammable be seen places  

People want authentic, and local. Pikes just happened to be a product of an era nobody in Charlotte is nostalgic for anymore. They haven’t done anything to keep themselves current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:
31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

People want authentic, and local. Pikes just happened to be a product of an era nobody in Charlotte is nostalgic for anymore. They haven’t done anything to keep themselves current.

Not sure what the heck is going on here with the quote in a quote in a quote buttttt anywho. Those people aren’t anywhere to be found in the design district lol. Barcelona, Hawkers, Superica and Jenis are 4 of the most popular places in the city. None local. None authentic. But yes, pikes didn’t care to adapt or upgrade. 

woah.... now I’m out here. Okay. Futo Buta backs your argument but as a south end resident for quite some time, trendy, instagrammable and new wins 9/10 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

woah.... now I’m out here. Okay. Futo Buta backs your argument but as a south end resident for quite some time, trendy, instagrammable and new wins 9/10 

Hahahaha. Yes they certainly exist, it’s new and shiny, yes that is priority, but the only thing those 4 places show, is just how much Southend is yearning for more. Those chains just happen to be capitalizing.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Hahahaha. Yes they certainly exist, it’s new and shiny, yes that is priority, but the only thing those 4 places show, is just how much Southend is yearning for more. Those chains just happen to be capitalizing.

There is an argument to be made there. But I’d argue it’s not more but better. But I guess those could be the same thing. I think part of the reason those places are thriving is frankly they’re just better and cooler than anywhere else in south end.

theres a reason Charlotte wasn’t exactly a culinary capital in the past. But yeah I guess it’s yearning for better and these chains happen to provide that better so hopefully it makes locals step up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

There is an argument to be made there. But I’d argue it’s not more but better. But I guess those could be the same thing. I think part of the reason those places are thriving is frankly they’re just better and cooler than anywhere else in south end.

theres a reason Charlotte wasn’t exactly a culinary capital in the past. But yeah I guess it’s yearning for better and these chains happen to provide that better so hopefully it makes locals step up. 

I think the better/cooler argument is true. The actually good places seem to be doing just as well if they're local. Futo Buta is a perfect example, Rai Lay, Pasta & Provisions, all seem to be doing quite well. Then there's stuff like the extremely strange CBD-obsessed Max & Lola's, the nostalgia-heavy mediocrity Pike's, and every Bottle Cap Group joint (though the Bottle Cap ones may actually be doing well, I don't really go by there at prime times, but I think it's clear they are *worse* than the chains). Seoul Food is also packed all the time, and it's not even good - but it has a similar cool factor to these chains. 

Bardo also looks to be doing great recently after a slow start - they've really picked up business over the past few months to where they appear full pretty much every night when I go by. I really don't think there is anywhere executing to the same level as these popular chains that isn't doing well *because* they're local; Golden Cow is a possibility - I'm not sure if they've been hit a lot by Jeni's moving in, but I have to be honest and say the ice cream just isn't as good. Their location is also significantly worse, which is another point: these chains do get the best spots, and *have* to be that full to make the rent back out. 

Overall it seems like people are freaking out and dropping hot takes (less on here than on Twitter), when those takes are really about ~5 hot national/regional chains (and yeah, I find it hard to consider Superica a "chain" either.)

• Like 1

I think the better/cooler argument is true. The actually good places seem to be doing just as well if they're local. Futo Buta is a perfect example, Rai Lay, Pasta & Provisions, all seem to be doing quite well. Then there's stuff like the extremely strange CBD-obsessed Max & Lola's, the nostalgia-heavy mediocrity Pike's, and every Bottle Cap Group joint (though the Bottle Cap ones may actually be doing well, I don't really go by there at prime times, but I think it's clear they are *worse* than the chains). Seoul Food is also packed all the time, and it's not even good - but it has a similar cool factor to these chains. 
Bardo also looks to be doing great recently after a slow start - they've really picked up business over the past few months to where they appear full pretty much every night when I go by. I really don't think there is anywhere executing to the same level as these popular chains that isn't doing well *because* they're local; Golden Cow is a possibility - I'm not sure if they've been hit a lot by Jeni's moving in, but I have to be honest and say the ice cream just isn't as good. Their location is also significantly worse, which is another point: these chains do get the best spots, and *have* to be that full to make the rent back out. 
Overall it seems like people are freaking out and dropping hot takes (less on here than on Twitter), when those takes are really about ~5 hot national/regional chains (and yeah, I find it hard to consider Superica a "chain" either.)

Thank you for saying Seoul Food isn’t good. That place is not good.

[emoji20]

Ok, meet me there in May, prove to me it’s good.

*realizes its may*

54 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Congrats on the 10000th post. I noticed that diamond before I saw it was the 10000th.

I tend to agree. If its an Atlanta "chain" and there are like 3, Its not much of a "chain".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Thank you for saying Seoul Food isn’t good. That place is not good.

Give those wings and kimchi fries any day. The pulled pork, yeah not good. 

And Bardo is excellent. Hope that place can thrive 

Edited by Bruco72
  • Like 1