Design Center Expansion in South End

yorkconstruct

Not Sure where to post this, but..... Saw this in my inbox this morning.  DesignCenter.jpg

Project Name:

Design Center Tower

Project ID:

5165249 (this project is only available on iSqFt)

Bid Date:

Monday, June 29, 2015 2:00 PM ET

Project Location:

118 West Worthington Avenue, Charlotte, NC 28208

Project Description:

Design Center Tower in Mecklenburg County, Charlotte North Carolina is a proposed 25 story residential apartment building is approximately 324,053 gross square feet including 296 apartment units comprised of approximately thirteen (13) typical unit plans, a parking deck, amenity spaces, retail, storage and service areas. The parking deck will have approximately 346 parking spaces in 199,265 gross square feet. The parking deck is architecturally screened and will require mechanical ventilation. Amenities and common areas will include a leasing office at level 1 and a pool deck at Level 7 with fitness center and a clubroom at level 25 with an exterior terrace Schedule information. Projects notice to processed on Dec 1st 2015

• Like 2

Nice... Kinda wish we could work those parking ratios down, but definitely looks promising between what the street level looks like & proximity to East/West Blvd Station. I wouldn't put it on a magazine cover, but it definitely doesn't inspire the "uhg" feeling that a lot of recent apartment projects have. 

(also: boooo all atlanta design team)

Put it in Levineland!

?   This is Southend.

Forgive my slight pessimism but the original proposal we heard about sounded better with inclusion of hotel and office. This doesn't seem to be the full site though (part wraps all the way around to West Blvd) so maybe that is still planned over there. Design looks kind of meh. I'll give it a big pass though if the Worthington side includes as much retail as the Camden side. There is some cool boutique retail down there around Worthington & Hawkins that nobody seems to currently know about, and it would link that up nicely. 

Edited by nonillogical

?   This is Southend.

Forgive my slight pessimism but the original proposal we heard about sounded better with inclusion of hotel and office. This doesn't seem to be the full site though (part wraps all the way around to West Blvd) so maybe that is still planned over there. Design looks kind of meh. I'll give it a big pass though if the Worthington side includes as much retail as the Camden side. There is some cool boutique retail down there around Worthington & Hawkins that nobody seems to currently know about, and it would link that up nicely. 

This will still have Retail and there is still a big development spot on West Blvd for Office/Retail. From what I hear There is another 1616 Center type development in the works for SouthEnd so we should get even more office space soon.

Corner of Camden and Worthington.  There is a parking lot there now.

I'm actually bummed on the design.  Would think this part of town could actually do better with a bit bolder design.  Looks like 2-tones of stucco like The Element. 

• Like 1

Corner of Camden and Worthington.  There is a parking lot there now.

I'm actually bummed on the design.  Would think this part of town could actually do better with a bit bolder design.  Looks like 2-tones of stucco like The Element. 

Especially since its part of the DESIGN Center. 

Yeah a family member who does glass contracting got this in their inbox and sent it to me yesterday.  Didn't have a chance to post it but looks like someone beat me to it.

Any chance the image might be larger than the one York posted?

Going to have to remove that "mid-rise" from the header.

The Dilworth folks are keeping buildings short farther north, will that cause a permanent 'dent' in the skyline between Southend and uptown?

No because this will bridge the gap.

neoscapetrinitycapital-1000-s-tryon-hero

I'm also hearing there is a high rise being planned in the area between Summit and Carson Blvd, but I cannot share the location. 

Edited by Guest

I will give this one a pass on its potential two-tone stucco look because it is not the ubiquitous 4-6 story, boxy, stick-built junk with which Southend is otherwise infested.  At a minimum it will have to be constructed of steel and concrete, so that is a positive. 

It actually has some features that look like they were pulled from the Mint Museum tower's renderings. Overall, not too shabby.

No because this will bridge the gap.

neoscapetrinitycapital-1000-s-tryon-hero

I'm also hearing there is a high rise being planned in the area between Summit and Carson Blvd, but I cannot share the location. 

1000 S. Tryon is one of my favorite buildings currently on the drawing board.  The renderings look great.

So is  are the developers of Design Center looking for a Dec. 15 time frame for starting construction?

It's getting to hard to imagine all these developments now. Too many.

p1161677010-5.jpg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1