W Main Street & Daniel Morgan Ave (Royce Camp Mixed-use building)

spartanburgh

The DRB approved this project tonight (with conditions).  They liked that there is now much more brick, and the design is simpler and more cohesive.  I agree.  I like this design better than the original.  The DRB just wants to make sure the design doesn't change as it goes through engineering (hence the conditions).

I found it interesting that the building footprint will extend to the (current) edge of the street on Daniel Morgan Ave, because the City apparently plans to concurrently improve the DM streetscape (widening the sidewalk). The city manager was saying that the City will take ownership of DM between Henry & St John from SCDOT. I'll be interested to hear more about those plans.

13626628_1286726814672079_60942270736166

Edit: H-J article  Wow, they really focused on the criticisms.  I promise the general DRB sentiment was positive.  And I don't really mind the apartment entrance being on the side, given the tight site and the retail spaces.

Edited by westsider28
Added H-J article link
  • Like 1

I can see why the HJ focused on the criticisms, as there were quite a few.  That is the challenge, I think, as we work our way into implementing a downtown code.  Personally, I thought some of the criticisms were on the subjective side - preferring certain colors of materials to others - and I think that's dangerous.  

The point about the building front came up - as in, some DRB members seemed to think an apartment building needed to have an apartment entrance on the front.  However, some other downtown apartments/condos don't have a prominent apartment entrance on the street - Palmetto Lofts and Library Commons come to mind.  

However, at least one member of the DRB said he thought this was a "much more successful building" than the previous design.  The architect got some guidance and a conditional approval, which they absolutely had to have before going to the expense of structural design. The DRB does want to see materials as the design evolves - since some of that is not final yet.  

The point about DOT conveying Daniel Morgan from Henry to St. John was very interesting - and I presume it means some significant changes and streetscaping will be forthcoming - I know some streetscaping in front of the hotel is required as part of the development agreement - but it looks like we will see a lot more.  

While I did not attend the meeting or follow the podcast, I believe this project will come together and the result will be something all Spartans will be proud of.  Extending the building's footprint to Daniel Morgan Avenue and the streetscaping is an unexpected bonus. 

Overall I like the design. It's still a little contemporary for my tastes, but it's still an improvement over the original. I do wish that they had done something to make the corner a little more attractive. It's kind of boring and brown EFIS panels aren't going to be overly attractive in the long run. I think a more traditional design could have more easily accommodated some sort of architectural detail to make it better.

Anyway, overall improvement. Definitely a win for Spartanburg.

I agree that the main residential entrance doesn't need to be emphasized. The retail is more important at the street level, IMO.

@Spartan The panels are aluminum, not EFIS, so they should be more durable.  And I think they're more grey than brown.  We need architectural variety in downtown, and I think this is a good balance (contemporary but not too crazy, and mostly brick).

Re: DRB minutes - They do post them; you have to scroll WAY down here (right side).  This meeting's won't be up till next month, though.  I have to say, I wish the City would post the whole packets online (not just the agenda) for DRB, Planning Commission, Zoning, and HARB like many other cities do (and like Spartanburg does with City Council packets).

Ehh... grey aluminum doesn't excite me either due to the very large "blank" area it's creating... but as long as it's not EFIS.

I do agree that architectural variety is a good thing. As much as I appreciate what GDJ has done for architecture in Spartanburg, most of his downtown buildings have a similar "cotton mill" style. The AC hotel, though, is going to be amazing.

Anyway, I'm not completely opposed to contemporary styles of architecture if they are executed well. This one is very close to being excellent in my mind. It has a solid design overall with two retail spaces. That corner is a signature corner because it is so visible as you approach downtown from the crest of the hill at Forest Dr. I think they need to do something on the corner to make it more visibly appealing, and to me a large blank space on the side of the building doesn't accomplish that goal very well.

Thanks for pointing me to the minutes. I've looked on there before and never noticed that. I agree on posting the agenda packets. It would be great to not have to rely on the HJ to post images...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...