Residential Real Estate

HankStrong

Again with your Orlando-centric can't think outside of a 50-mile radius mentality. Check rental rates in Miami and Atlanta and report back.

Honey, I'm quoting the New York Times. Orlando is ranked in the top ten of the least affordable cities in the country. My flat in London wasn't as expensive as what I'm seeing now. 

In my 35 years I've lived in more cities around the world than you will probably ever visit. So don't you try to school me with your pretense.

Lets just be honest here and admit you have no clue what you are talking about. Rental rates do not dictate development, demand does. The last time I checked in with Olde Town over 10,000 apartments were under construction in the metro and that isn't even close to handling the demand. 

You mentioned no developer or architect of the "upper echelon" was interested in the Orlando area. Apparently you don't read the paper. Why even in Downtown Orlando Arquitectonica  has a proposed building that has passed the review board. Oh, and there is that 7 star resort that just broke ground. But you can keep your pretentious blinders on and hate all you want.  

Bye Felicia

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honey, I'm quoting the New York Times. Orlando is ranked in the top ten of the least affordable cities in the country. My flat in London wasn't as expensive as what I'm seeing now. 

In my 35 years I've lived in more cities around the world than you will probably ever visit. So don't you try to school me with your pretense.

Lets just be honest here and admit you have no clue what you are talking about. Rental rates do not dictate development, demand does. The last time I checked in with Olde Town over 10,000 apartments were under construction in the metro and that isn't even close to handling the demand. 

You mentioned no developer or architect of the "upper echelon" was interested in the Orlando area. Apparently you don't read the paper. Why even in Downtown Orlando Arquitectonica  has a proposed building that has passed the review board. Oh, and there is that 7 star resort that just broke ground. But you can keep your pretentious blinders on and hate all you want.  

Wow impressive amount of misinformation in one quote.

Let's begin.  

Post the link to the New York TImes article because I would love to see the context.  Least affordable does not necessarily mean that the rental rates are the highest.  It could be any number of things, wage-to-cost-of-living perhaps.  Me thinks you miscomprehended because having recently priced out the cost of renting a one bedroom condominium on Brickell I can guarantee you that the rates are MUCH higher than $1,300.

As far as rental rates not dictating development, that again is a simpleton's view of it as I mentioned in another thread where you attempted the same argument.  Demand of course dictates development, but not all development is the same.  There's a huge monetary difference between developing a plywood Crescent-like apartment and a 23 story high-rise apartment. Hence why we haven't seen a high-rise apartment other than big-box style Skyhouse rise from the ground in the last 5 years.  And even that isn't on the grand scale of what is being proposed.  

Also, I never said no architect of the upper echelon was interested in Orlando, I said developer.  Having a renowned architecture firm like Arquitectonica doesn't mean anything other than the developer paid for a big firm to design the building.  Pininfarina has done work for Kia before, same thing.  And the 7 star resort...let's not go there for your sake.  

I was paying $1700 for a 700sqft studio in San Diego, that wasn't downtown or near the water. San Francisco is worse of course. I agree, there is likely confusion here on rental rates vs cost of living as it relates to local wages. We're definitely not in the top 10 on rental rates.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I was paying $1700 for a 700sqft studio in San Diego, that wasn't downtown or near the water. San Francisco is worse of course. I agree, there is likely confusion here on rental rates vs cost of living as it relates to local wages. We're definitely not in the top 10 on rental rates.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I can't find anything putting us in the Top 20. And let's think about it logically for a minute. If rental rates were so disproportionately high in downtown Orlando investors would be buying up downtown condos left and right to rent them out and we would be in a feeding frenzy. But we aren't. Last I heard the average price per square foot for a downtown condo in Orlando was under $300.  I have also heard thay we would have to get close to $400/sq ft for any developer to begin to think about building a high rise condo project here again. So why is it shocking for someone to question the viability of these high rise apartment projects? They are cheaper to build than condos, but still incredibly expensive. Now midrises I can see all day, especially those that look built to convert like 420.

One of my biggest fears with the low cost apartment high-rises is build quality. Not from a safety perspective or anything like that -- just the endless complaints from people on apartment review sites about hearing everything their neighbors do, etc. SkyHouse comes to mind. I suppose it only affects you if live there, but it drives out families and people who like to sleep at night. I think if you want a mature urban environment, you need all types of tenants -- not just club going 20somethings who can afford to split rent 2-3 ways. Quality of life in these places is important.

I'm sure that all speaks to the price per square foot in the city right now ... and some projects might be dead on arrival without those kind of cost savings.

Last I heard the average price per square foot for a downtown condo in Orlando was under $300. 

Reviewing public records indicates downtown condo prices are around $250 per square foot.  A complex like The Vue is around $300 (two sales above $350/SF), and the older stuff is obviously around $225.

Case in point, the developer who purchased at auction 165 units at The Vue still owns 53, including five of the six top-floor units.  The auction was five years ago!

One of my biggest fears with the low cost apartment high-rises is build quality. Not from a safety perspective or anything like that -- just the endless complaints from people on apartment review sites about hearing everything their neighbors do, etc. SkyHouse comes to mind. I suppose it only affects you if live there, but it drives out families and people who like to sleep at night. I think if you want a mature urban environment, you need all types of tenants -- not just club going 20somethings who can afford to split rent 2-3 ways. Quality of life in these places is important.

This.  The reason I'm so hesitant to leave 55 West is because of the build quality.  Do I have complaints?  Absolutely.  But only once in three years have I heard my neighbors. (And that was them trying to assemble some IKEA thing or some crazy thing that involved lots of banging). Once you're in your apartment, the only thing you hear is people walking by in the hallways, and that's a momentary thing.  My bed backs up to another apartment, and I've never heard a person the entire time.

This.  The reason I'm so hesitant to leave 55 West is because of the build quality.  Do I have complaints?  Absolutely.  But only once in three years have I heard my neighbors. (And that was them trying to assemble some IKEA thing or some crazy thing that involved lots of banging). Once you're in your apartment, the only thing you hear is people walking by in the hallways, and that's a momentary thing.  My bed backs up to another apartment, and I've never heard a person the entire time.

Yep. Despite all the problems we have in 55W, sound isolation isn't a substantial one.

If noise comes in, it's from outside (people partying on their balcony, or blasting music with their balcony door open), or through the front entryway (this is actually quite bad. They should weather strip all the doors or something. On the 28th floor we have people screaming in the hallways at 4AM ... and depending on your unit, you CAN hear people INSIDE their apartment from WITHIN your own apartment ... not even yelling, really.)

Never through the walls, though ... Except for that one time. In which I can only assume my neighbors were very enthusiastically agreeing with each other while mounting pictures ... or something. They seemed happy though, so I wasn't worried.

Who your neighbors are seems to be the most important factor, though.

Who your neighbors are seems to be the most important factor, though.

I can't agree with that statement more. I never hear my neighbors, except maybe the occasional dog bark in the hallways. However a friend on the opposite side of the building says she hears her neighbors "happily drilling pictures into the concrete walls" multiple times a day. Most of the noise I get is from outside: the 408, trains, emergency vehicles, and those damn motorcyclist who race at night.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can't agree with that statement more. I never hear my neighbors, except maybe the occasional dog bark in the hallways. However a friend on the opposite side of the building says she hears her neighbors "happily drilling pictures into the concrete walls" multiple times a day. Most of the noise I get is from outside: the 408, trains, emergency vehicles, and those damn motorcyclist who race at night.  

Ugh. The motorcycles downtown are incredibly annoying. Worse than the clubs and trains by far, because the motivations are PURELY selfishness and annoyance. Trains have to go places, clubs provide entertainment, a highway is a highway, but motorcycles revving at 3AM is just dick wagging.

Ugh. The motorcycles downtown are incredibly annoying. Worse than the clubs and trains by far, because the motivations are PURELY selfishness and annoyance. Trains have to go places, clubs provide entertainment, a highway is a highway, but motorcycles revving at 3AM is just dick wagging.

I want to walk out to Orange Ave or up to the 408 to video these jerks. 

Archived