Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

I didn't take it real seriously at first, until i read that it's Land & Co which definitely have the business model and cashflow to do something like this.  They've been investing in their aging portfolio, but most of their stuff is in the mid-lower market.  They have definitely made strides to better their reputation from a low point in the mid 00's.  It'll be interesting to see if they do it right.  My guess is that by the time it's done,  the castle will be a good 5 stories smaller.

That sure is something. I could get a good laugh every time I go visit my parents in Grandville.

"My goal is to build the nicest apartment in Michigan on this site."

Really? I wasn't aware that was a very desirable location.

not yet  :lol:

between this and ramblehood being bought that area is going to be booming.  all the millennials won't be able to wait to move to wyoming/grandville area

I like it; in that 'just different enough to actually work' kind of way.

I having a feeling he'll cheap out on materials and construction, so I'm not expecting much.

Agreed.  It's quirky, which is okay for the edge of a suburb up against a gateway highway into the city.

As for Ramblewood, I hope the new owner doesn't interfere with the heavy forestation there.

• Like 1

I didn't take it real seriously at first, until i read that it's Land & Co which definitely have the business model and cashflow to do something like this.  They've been investing in their aging portfolio, but most of their stuff is in the mid-lower market.  They have definitely made strides to better their reputation from a low point in the mid 00's.  It'll be interesting to see if they do it right.  My guess is that by the time it's done,  the castle will be a good 5 stories smaller.

Agreed. It will probably get built, but a scaled down version of it. Even though that area might be "convenient" to a lot of things, it's still one of the poorest run down areas of 28th Street. You'll have a view of the cleaner areas (downtown, Rivertown area) although you'll also have a nice view of the industrial park to the North. 

I say build it! 

19272332616_7f778749e0_b.jpg

It's almost 20 stories tall when you count the exaggerated roofline:

19292406732_a4217f0295_b.jpg

19298379265_8c9407b789_o.jpg

Hopefully it doesn't end up like Heritage USA, Jim Bakker's failed Christian amusement park in Charlotte NC, which had a similar castle look. 

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I actually saw the other day that there's a lot of site work going on here. Is this thing actually going to happen? 

I just have a hard time believing it's going to look anything like the original proposal if it does.  However I think there is a definite need for more apartments in the suburbs,  it'll be interesting to see what the rents are if they do go vertical.

Just so I can clarify my total lack of taste, I think this entire project is completely awesome.  It's almost an architectural folly (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly) but not quite.  It's hilariously, spectacularly wonderful, and I hope and pray they actually build it, and add a couple more turrets while they're at it.  

And, oh, it's totally hilarious that one of the most expensive law firms in town partnering with one of the largest builders in town can propose a fabulously ugly building for the middle of downtown, while some two-bit apartment developer comes up with this totally cool building for some field in Grandville.  Oh, what a world.  The architecture firm behind this has done some other very nice new-urbanisty style projects as well: http://www.fuglebergkoch.com/Portfolio/Project/Providence-Point.  

Edited by x99
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, x99 said:

Just so I can clarify my total lack of taste, I think this entire project is completely awesome.  It's almost an architectural folly (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly) but not quite.  It's hilariously, spectacularly wonderful, and I hope and pray they actually build it, and add a couple more turrets while they're at it.  

And, oh, it's totally hilarious that one of the most expensive law firms in town partnering with one of the largest builders in town can propose a fabulously ugly building for the middle of downtown, while some two-bit apartment developer comes up with this totally cool building for some field in Grandville.  Oh, what a world.  The architecture firm behind this has done some other very nice new-urbanisty style projects as well: http://www.fuglebergkoch.com/Portfolio/Project/Providence-Point.  

It actually reminds me of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, which (no lie) has some incredible architecture. I was there recently with the fam and was mesmerized all day. 

IMG002.jpg

On April 25, 2016 at 1:48 PM, x99 said:

It reminds me of the Excalibur hotel in Las Vegas. I don't think I can possibly like it unless they build it out of stone and have alligators in the moat. 

Joe

On April 25, 2016 at 6:42 PM, GRDadof3 said:

It actually reminds me of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, which (no lie) has some incredible architecture. I was there recently with the fam and was mesmerized all day. 

IMG002.jpg

Agreed GRDad, I don't think it's built to last, but they definitely paid attention to every detail. I never got into Harry Potter so I don't understand all the little references, but I'm sure it is awesome for Potter fans. I didn't know why everyone was lining up for Butter Beer. :)

joe

On 4/27/2016 at 9:18 PM, joeDowntown said:

It reminds me of the Excalibur hotel in Las Vegas. I don't think I can possibly like it unless they build it out of stone and have alligators in the moat. 

Joe

Agreed GRDad, I don't think it's built to last, but they definitely paid attention to every detail. I never got into Harry Potter so I don't understand all the little references, but I'm sure it is awesome for Potter fans. I didn't know why everyone was lining up for Butter Beer. :)

joe

Yeah, I don't get into it either but my kids certainly do. That butterbeer was some funky concoction. I was disappointed to find out it didn't actually have any beer in it. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ryan_gndvl said:

There is a massive crane at this site today. It looks like there is a lot of activity. If built, this will look so out place here in Grandville!

Right, because that big tacky EIFS covered mall looks so classy. :)