Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

On 3/27/2017 at 7:31 PM, tSlater said:

Would love if someone could get pictures of that if convenient.  I'm only very rarely in that area.

Just drove by and tried to take a pic but it's a bit difficult on 196. :). It almost looked like one of the large cranes "broke". But they may have just lowered it to the ground. It was an odd site. 

One of the turrets is starting to take shape (on the shorter part of the complex). 

Joe

On 3/27/2017 at 5:02 PM, GRDadof3 said:

They're constructing some really interesting roof structures off the main roof now, like shed dormers, that appear to hover over a balcony that has "merlons" (?) around it. They are not messin around on this. 

Yes, I believe the crenellation around the building is designed to catch water and were designed to be part of the building's gutter system. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This whole thing pisses me off on so many levels.  I seriously can not believe this was approved.  Was there ever an opportunity for local residents to see the plans and voice concerns or opinions?  Who are the city officials in charge of approving these things?   It's going to be a giant eyesore for decades.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jthrasher said:

This whole thing pisses me off on so many levels.  I seriously can not believe this was approved.  Was there ever an opportunity for local residents to see the plans and voice concerns or opinions?  Who are the city officials in charge of approving these things?   It's going to be a giant eyesore for decades.  

Agreed. It's a monstrosity.  And no, the residents of Grandville were given zero ability to voice their approval or concerns unless they happen to be retired regulars at city council meetings. Grandville isn't exactly known for giving two flying farts what the residents of the town think. Business owners get whatever they desire, properties are allowed to deteriorate to the point of limiting neighborhood property values, streets are not kept up, the roads have some of the worst plowing in the area....But hey, at least Land got their monolith. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Agreed. It's a monstrosity.  And no, the residents of Grandville were given zero ability to voice their approval or concerns unless they happen to be retired regulars at city council meetings. Grandville isn't exactly known for giving two flying farts what the residents of the town think. Business owners get whatever they desire, properties are allowed to deteriorate to the point of limiting neighborhood property values, streets are not kept up, the roads have some of the worst plowing in the area....But hey, at least Land got their monolith. 

Come on guys lighten up!  Who wouldn't want to live in a place that can brand itself the "Castle City".  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tSlater said:

Not even a Renaissance Faire?

Such strong hatred for the project.  I like it.

You like the project or my disdain for it? Either way, I'm not a fan. I know it fits the bill for a lot of people, just is not a place I would ever choose to live in. I'm sure many people feel the same way about my lower westside neighborhood. 

25 minutes ago, arcturus said:

I'm reserving judgement until it's further along.  Hard to render an opinion based on the rough state it's in.

I agree. I don't see why people hate it so much.  It's taller than most of the latest projects downtown, a little corny/tacky yes, but still.  Either way, it will fill a need for housing in the region and people will live there, especially located right near an interchange.  I actually wish we had more of these big projects outside of GR.

I don't love it, but since it is plowing forward at an incredible pace, I hope I'm terribly wrong and it looks amazing (as someone said, a bit corny-whimsical). I'm really wishing for the best. My biggest fear is it'll end up looking like a sketchy version of the Excalibur in Las Vegas (which is already pretty awful looking). 

Fingers crossed. 

Joe

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Other than occasionally driving by it on the freeway or 28th street, how many people on this forum can see this project from their house or apartment???

No one. That's kinda what I thought. 

That doesn't mean it's not an eyesore.  With that logic, let's just build lots of hideous buildings around the area.  As long as nobody can see then from their houses, it's all fine. :tw_confused:     One of the first things people will see when driving to GR from Chicago or from anywhere via 196 will be a giant cheesy castle.  That's a great first impression.   As a designer and lover of GOOD architecture, I'm livid.   

Edited by jthrasher
  • Like 1