Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

9 hours ago, WMrapids said:

I already know a few people who will be moving in. :lol:

Anyways, here is a picture of it from a few days ago.IMG_5582.thumb.JPG.30ae8a518b61f45574a8a78dd3dea18b.JPGIMG_5777.thumb.PNG.d698bb9ccae25519922ee86c24646bb6.PNG

Here's more shots by the Michigan Drone Pros.IMG_5775.thumb.JPG.22cdebcd06e39c46ed305c88dabed6e9.JPG IMG_5773.thumb.JPG.7402fa5fcbb3368bff02036286c129cc.JPG

Whoa those views off to the North are awesome. I was wondering if that was going to be the case. It's pretty much undeveloped land, the Grand River and Millennium Park. Industrial park in the Northeast foreground notwithstanding. :)

Looks like the areas under the blue roofs have a center hallway, and those must be apartments with vaulted ceilings? 

20 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

every time I drive by this thing I think "who in their right mind would live in it?"  Maybe if it has the cheapest rent in town.  But if it's going to be market rate and you had to choose between this monstrosity or a new apt in/near downtown, would anybody really choose this?  

Their rents are way cheaper than downtown's $2/sf and higher. Check it out:

http://www.grandcastle.com/floorplans/

Skip the studios and go to the 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. They have 3 bedroom 1400 sf+ for $1650 a month. That's pretty decent. Single parents with kids? Sold. Let's go live in a castle kids!! Ummm, woot!

I think you'll be surprised. You have to get out of the mindset that "I don't know anyone who would live there, so no one would want to live there." 80% of the metro population doesn't live in the city of GR, and even a smaller percentage lives downtown or near downtown.

Plus, parking galore. :) 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Their rents are way cheaper than downtown's $2/sf and higher. Check it out:

http://www.grandcastle.com/floorplans/

Skip the studios and go to the 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms. They have 3 bedroom 1400 sf+ for $1650 a month. That's pretty decent. Single parents with kids? Sold. Let's go live in a castle kids!! Ummm, woot!

I think you'll be surprised. You have to get out of the mindset that "I don't know anyone who would live there, so no one would want to live there." 80% of the metro population doesn't live in the city of GR, and even a smaller percentage lives downtown or near downtown.

Plus, parking galore. :) 

So I was actually considering what it would be like to live there.  Now that you mention kids I picture them being everywhere.  I'm one of those adults that go out of my way to avoid young human offspring.  I'll never have any of my own, I'd probably in jail if I did.  So I prolly wouldn't go anywhere near here haha. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MJLO said:

So I was actually considering what it would be like to live there.  Now that you mention kids I picture them being everywhere.  I'm one of those adults that go out of my way to avoid young human offspring.  I'll never have any of my own, I'd probably in jail if I did.  So I prolly wouldn't go anywhere near here haha. 

Exactly. Now that my kids are teens I don't like little kids either. :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Looks like the areas under the blue roofs have a center hallway, and those must be apartments with vaulted ceilings? 

No obvious signs of plumbing and there appears to be a vent cap in the lower left of the first drone photo.

My money is on 4 to 6 really large under roof beer gardens. :)

• Like 1

They're really taking this German theme all the way. The various floorplans all have German names and  Even the baked goods in the coffee shop are German.  

Coffeeshop & Deli

Start your day with an espresso and a warm, flaky pastry, without even leaving the building. Our coffeeshop and deli will offer a range of espresso beverages and German-themed baked goods. 

I wonder whether the staff will refer to renters as Herr and Frau?

Edited by scottythe1nonly
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, arcturus said:

No obvious signs of plumbing . . . 

Authentic medieval castles do not have plumbing.

48 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

They're really taking this German theme all the way. The various floorplans all have German names and  Even the baked goods in the coffee shop are German.  

I wonder whether the staff will refer to renters as Herr and Frau?

If they’d have a restaurant that served good sauerbraten I might loosen up my opposition to this project a bit.  I haven’t found good sauerbraten around town for quite awhile.  I can be bought off. 

• Like 2

I don't care what they put in that thing.  No way no how am I driving from downtown to eat there.  Maybe they could attract Medieval Times to open a location there.  

They've been advertising that it would open this year.  I'm getting the impression that they're a ways away from that.  

Edited by scottythe1nonly

2 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

this thing has 4oo apartments in it.  What is the availability right now of apts outside of the city of GR?  

I think it's 500 or so apartments. 

Last year there was only about  2 - 3% vacancy rate for the metro area in apartments. I don't know where it is now. 

6 hours ago, walker said:

Authentic medieval castles do not have plumbing.

Come to think about it, this might be why the rents are cheaper than downtown.  Construction costs come down a lot if you don't need plumbing.

4 hours ago, tSlater said:

There is no "German Restaurant" in the metro at all that I know of.  If they manage to open one due to this project I will be incredibly pleased.  The nearest one I can think of is in Middleville.

The one in Middleville had decent sauerbraten but it closed a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

is it just me or does it seem like progress on this monster has slowed?  Last time I drove by the roof still wasn't completed.  Are they going to paint all that exposed concrete?  

It may have. There's a severe shortage of construction trades in this market right now. I did notice that accoutrements were added under some of the towers recently.