Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

22 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/grandville/closer-look-at-the-grand-castle-apartments-coming-soon/461774334

"the developer plans to open its doors to renters in late September or early October."

The flickering hall lighting to mimic medieval wall torches? I just can't. 

7 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

"I've never met a girl who didn't want to be a princess, and I've never met a guy who didn't want to be a king," Lucas said. "So I'm just trying to give them what they want."

This thing is going to be a running joke for decades.  

This guy couldn't sound more out of touch with reality. 

• Like 4

The Castle Guy has a very pronounced West Michigan accent.  He sounds a lot like the guy who does the Talsma Furniture commercials. 

Those Penthouses with the casement windows that open onto the roof will be popular with Vampires.  At night they can fly in and out without having to use the elevator.   Straight shot to the blood bags walking the night streets just a few miles away in the downtown.  

Edited by scottythe1nonly

My pet peeve with this whole project is still the windows.  If any of the developers happen to read this (probably doubtful):  The windows look like crap.  The white vinyl instead of a proper dark sash color was bad enough, but to tack the square peg in a round hole look on top of it?  Unforgivably terrible.  They need pieces of exterior applied trim which will cause the glass to match the openings.  At 1:15 into the video you can see how stupid it looks on the inside too.  Hopefully this gets fixed.  I'll bet even the trailer park that used to be there didn't have square windows in round openings... :P

Edited by x99
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The hatred for this project on Mlive's FB page is thick and saucy. :rofl:  I guess if I lived in the Grandville/Jenison area I might care more. The windows do look terrible, but to have custom made arched windows? That many of them? Hooooey!!

The Lands are blessed so I'm sure it will all work out for them. Kind of like the guy who built the Noah's Ark project thingy. 

On 6/30/2017 at 2:48 PM, Prankster said:

Cedar Springs Brewing Co comes pretty close. 

So upon your recommendation my wife and I have stopped in to eat here three times since this comment.  Still no sauerbraten, but there are some other great German dishes:

csbrew menu  

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The hatred for this project on Mlive's FB page is thick and saucy. :rofl: 

Yeah, my criticisms of the project seem pretty mild in comparison.  It’s a little unsettling to find oneself on the same side of an issue as the chronic Mlive commenters.   I may have to re-evaluate this.      

• Like 3

Most of the people I talk to think it's cool and would want to live there.  I think the bulk of the population is not opinionated enough (or in Mlive's case insane enough) to get on an internet discussion forum and espouse their views on it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Most of the people I talk to think it's cool and would want to live there.  I think the bulk of the population is not opinionated enough (or in Mlive's case insane enough) to get on an internet discussion forum and espouse their views on it. 

It's the 1/9/90 rule: 1% of people create content, 9% comment on it or interact with it, the other 90% just lurk.

7 hours ago, walker said:

Yeah, my criticisms of the project seem pretty mild in comparison.  It’s a little unsettling to find oneself on the same side of an issue as the chronic Mlive commenters.   I may have to re-evaluate this.      

I was thinking the same thing! :) I almost came to its defense on there or corrected people in their errors, and then quickly changed my mind. 

35 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Every single person I've discussed this with has been horrified by it.  When I brought  it up with one friend who works in Holland and commutes past it she told me she thought it was a new Prison.  I'd love to meet people who think it's great. 

Edited by scottythe1nonly

31 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

Every single person I've discussed this with has been horrified by it.  When I brought  it up with one friend who works in Holland and commutes past it she told me she thought it was a new Prison.  I'd love to meet people who think it's great. 

In your short time here you have exhibited a tendency toward hyperbole.  Although given your outspoken personal feelings on it, i'm sure there are people who might be afraid to comment positively about it when speaking with you for fear of being judged :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scottythe1nonly said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying horrified. However, most people I have talked to in Grandville (and I know quite a few), have had the reaction of "but why?" Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. The thing is a monstrosity of epic proportions in both size and appearance. The people of the city were not consulted whatsoever. It was proposed, rushed through the council, OKed by the fire department, and away they went. I'm all about progress in the building department, but I can think of half a dozen things that would have looked better there.

. 913.gif 

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 2