Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

• 1 month later...

I noticed people working on the one white area that people had pointed out as a possibility the whole thing would be painted white. When I drove by in the afternoon, they had removed the white and it looked like the rest of the concrete. I imagine what you see now is what we’ll get. 

Joe

While not quite the same bait and switch that has been happening with value engineering  in GR but I think there's a pretty distinct difference between the two images. the  brick area in the front facade is so much larger than in the drawing, looks out of proportion and I understand that the project isn't finished and detail could be added but this is turning out exactly how I had imagined it. #ratchet 

On 6/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, crinzema said:

I heard, through the grapevine, that this place is sinking. Not by a little, but by a lot, like 1 ft+.

I've heard this too, but only through the social media grapevine, not my construction grapevine.  I can easily see "settling" turning into "sinking" or "concrete cracking during curing" becoming "collapse is imminent".  Anytime I drive by, they're still working away which leads me to believe it's minimal or at least under control. 

But that swampy site... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

I would think that much sink this quick should be evident on the structure itself.   It could be true,  but I'd also think the city/state would be all over it and we'd see it on the news.  My news director friend hasn't heard anything about it.   I get the impression that  the detractors of this place are also very intent on making sure the public at large is under the impression it's a boondoggle.  I tend not to trust this type of news on anything that's such a lightening rod for opinions. 

• Like 2

I agree. It is what it is at this point. I would hate for it to sink and sit there. Would rather have a fully functioning ugly building than an abandoned one. I hope it ends up being a huge success (with that being said, let’s not get crazy and build castles all over the city). :)

Joe

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I find the settling hard to believe. I attended a presentation on the construction and it's on something like 1000 piles IIRC

As for the naysayers, I get it, they don't like the appearance, but let it go for crying out loud.

I agree, the hatred from the hipsters of this project on FB is hilarious to read. Like foaming at the mouth hatred. Let it go bros. :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I agree. It is what it is at this point. I would hate for it to sink and sit there. Would rather have a fully functioning ugly building than an abandoned one. I hope it ends up being a huge success (with that being said, let’s not get crazy and build castles all over the city). :)

Joe

Even though I was one of the early critics here of the castle and I haven't changed my mind about it,  I totally agree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, walker said:

Even though I was one of the early critics here of the castle and I haven't changed my mind about it,  I totally agree.

Sums up my feelings as well. I, personally, would never live in such a place but for those that are into it, get down with your medieval self.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, walker said:

Me too. I drive by it every day, scratch my head a bit, and move on.  But I do hope it's successful. Can't think of any project that I would like to see fail. Kind of counter to the purpose of this forum. :)

Joe

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Me too. I drive by it every day, scratch my head a bit, and move on.  But I do hope it's successful. Can't think of any project that I would like to see fail. Kind of counter to the purpose of this forum. :)

Joe

There are some projects that I'd like to see fail before they get started. :) But after they kick off: whatevs.  I really have not one skin in the game on any of these so god-speed to all of these developers. Well, except a few.. :)