Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

On 2/1/2019 at 10:09 AM, crinzema said:

Things could always be worse

Interesting watching the video and listening to the locals complain, it’s sort of like Grandville.  Considering Turkey’s Syrian refugee problem, once the developer goes bankrupt, maybe the government could take it over and make it a refugee camp.   According to the video they’ve already got the barbed wire up.  It would solve two big problems at once.  Maybe sometime in the future something like that might be the creative solution to the Grandville castle too.  

• 2 weeks later...

^That's maybe not completely surprising. I know many of the new high rise apartment buildings in Chicago (which granted may also be due to their high rents) typically take over a year to be fully rented. I think only a portion of potential tenants will sign leases before a building is completed since move-in dates can be somewhat in flux and people would prefer to see the exact space they are renting and finished before committing to a lease.  The fact that they are still working around the outside may also be a deterrent to other potential residents. We would be better judging the success of this development at the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, BLUESCRUBS said:

I was driving past this place last night and noticed very few lights on. Does anyone know the number of units occupied? Also, do we know when the project is supposed to be wrapped up?  

Well, looks like someone is moving in:

468037032_castleknight.thumb.jpg.424218a7c1064ed884694083bade18de.jpg

Borrowed this from recent reddit post.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, cutlervillegr said:

Does anybody know how well this building is leasing?  I drove by Sunday for the first time in months, and it looked like there were quite a few cars parked outside.  

The studio and 1 bedroom units leased up very fast.  They are having a difficult time (and that is being kind) leasing the 2 and 3 bedroom units.  The reason for this, I am told, is because of two things.  One, it is still under construction and no one wants to move a family into a construction zone.  And two, almost none of the promised amenities are in, i.e. work out rooms, dog grooming rooms, promised walking trail by the water, boat docks, etc.  If a family is going to move in (2 and 3 bedrooms) they want those things upon arrival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ModSquad said:

The studio and 1 bedroom units leased up very fast.  They are having a difficult time (and that is being kind) leasing the 2 and 3 bedroom units.  The reason for this, I am told, is because of two things.  One, it is still under construction and no one wants to move a family into a construction zone.  And two, almost none of the promised amenities are in, i.e. work out rooms, dog grooming rooms, promised walking trail by the water, boat docks, etc.  If a family is going to move in (2 and 3 bedrooms) they want those things upon arrival.

As a daily commuter that passes this construction site, I can say affirm this statement. Lots of construction still going on here. The lakeside walking trail appears to be a sidewalk that just ends sort of by the stagnant water. 

On 5/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, JoeSchmo said:

On each side, are those fake doorways painted on???

They were openings, and for some reason they decided to close them in. I'm guessing yet to be painted. Further proof that this thing is sort of being figured out as they go along.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andrew.w said:

They were openings, and for some reason they decided to close them in. I'm guessing yet to be painted. Further proof that this thing is sort of being figured out as they go along.

Wow. I almost would have felt better if it had intentionally had been designed to be Wyle E Coyote style fake doors. But nope, just another stupid mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a motorist who decided to rear end another car at the Nunica construction site on 96 (despite 2 miles of traffic cones) I detoured past the Castle last week.  There were a ton of cars in the parking lot suggesting it's filling up pretty nicely.  

As to the slowness in 2 or 3 bedroom rentals it's possible that will pick up come August when the students start coming back.  According to Google Maps it's an 11 minute commute to the Allendale campus, 9 minutes to Pew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

Thanks to a motorist who decided to rear end another car at the Nunica construction site on 96 (despite 2 miles of traffic cones) I detoured past the Castle last week.  There were a ton of cars in the parking lot suggesting it's filling up pretty nicely.  

As to the slowness in 2 or 3 bedroom rentals it's possible that will pick up come August when the students start coming back.  According to Google Maps it's an 11 minute commute to the Allendale campus, 9 minutes to Pew.

I guess that is a potential market for the Castle but I'm not sure if their leases allow for students, who usually want an academic year only lease. I could be wrong but I'd think most college students wouldn't want to live in something that gaudy anyway.

I guess that is a potential market for the Castle but I'm not sure if their leases allow for students, who usually want an academic year only lease. I could be wrong but I'd think most college students wouldn't want to live in something that gaudy anyway.
In my experience as a student I was down to stay anywhere the rent was somewhat affordable and the accommodations were liveable. Looking at their floorplans the prices seem alright to me for the convenience that the location offers. As long as there's a May-May or August-August lease option, it seems like this might be an okay location for students. Gaudiness be damned (though you'd never catch me living in that monstrosity).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1