Grandville Castle Apartments

mgreven

On September 15, 2016 at 3:51 PM, WMrapids said:

I really want to see some sort of development across the river near Johnson Park. Wasn't something big supposed to happen there? I thought they originally wanted the Cabelas there or something.

Do you mean across Wilson? I remember hearing Dan Hibma from Land & Co. originally wanted to make into a industrial park. Then he had some grandios plans to dredge the river all the way to Grand Haven and build a marina there. That would be kinda cool.

It's just so awesomesauce... I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.  I sort of wish there were another 6 or 7 stories of castley goodness.  Or maybe just another two stories of main turret goodness.  You know what I would give to live in a three story castle turret with battlements surrounding it?  But I'm guessing no one gets to live in the main turret other than an air conditioner unit or something.  Sad.  

9 hours ago, x99 said:

It's just so awesomesauce... I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.  I sort of wish there were another 6 or 7 stories of castley goodness.  Or maybe just another two stories of main turret goodness.  You know what I would give to live in a three story castle turret with battlements surrounding it?  But I'm guessing no one gets to live in the main turret other than an air conditioner unit or something.  Sad.  

This project might be objectionable to hardcore Seattle-lite urbanists, but I'm guessing people will line up to get into that tower. Duuude, I live in the castle! 12th floor! C'mon over and paaahhhtay!!! (Plenty of parking for drunken guests)

2 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This project might be objectionable to hardcore Seattle-lite urbanists, but I'm guessing people will line up to get into that tower. Duuude, I live in the castle! 12th floor! C'mon over and paaahhhtay!!! (Plenty of parking for drunken guests)

Not to mention it doesn't look like a bunker on Michigan Street. It's a castle, which is an even more sophisticated fortress.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2016 at 10:34 PM, WMrapids said:

The roof still includes another 3 floors of penthouses.IMG_2162.PNG

I was driving through Grandville today and then downtown Grandville for work, and this thing is just getting MASSIVE. You can totally see it from downtown Grandville. I'm trying to think if there's any other project in the whole metro area that has this kind of mass to it, and it's only really the main tallest tower and just a portion of the lower section started so far. There's a lot more to go (height and width) 

It's apparently 1 million square feet:

http://woodtv.com/2016/10/06/grand-castle-apartments-rising-in-grandville/

It's going to cause a huge buzz once it's complete, maybe even nationally. People visiting the area and traveling on I-196 will probably think it's an amusement park.  

I wonder what colors it will be? 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I was driving through Grandville today and then downtown Grandville for work, and this thing is just getting MASSIVE. You can totally see it from downtown Grandville. I'm trying to think if there's any other project in the whole metro area that has this kind of mass to it, and it's only really the main tallest tower and just a portion of the lower section started so far. There's a lot more to go (height and width) 

It's apparently 1 million square feet:

http://woodtv.com/2016/10/06/grand-castle-apartments-rising-in-grandville/

It's going to cause a huge buzz once it's complete, maybe even nationally. People visiting the area and traveling on I-196 will probably think it's an amusement park.  

I wonder what colors it will be? 

Just think, Rivertown Crossings originally had 1.1 million square feet of retail.

23 minutes ago, GR8scott said:

Hope Granville will do a little more to revitalize the downtown and the main corridors of 196

Agreed. Grandville has long ignored its northern section and as a result it has become a less than desirable area. Downtown is nice, but lacks that Main Street feel that towns like Holland, Grand Haven, EGR, etc. have. They took a step toward that by providing streetside parking, but it still lacks investment to make it a destination area. I was hoping that the addition of a brewery downtown would kickstart that, but it has yet to do so. What I would like to see is that strip mall demolished and a Main Street-like mixed use building erected with shops, restaurants, etc. on the bottom floor and condos/apartments above. Granted, there's a railroad track right behind it, but for some that's not an issue.

As for 28th and Wilson...That area has long been nothing more than a busy intersection, highway entrance, industrial area, and watershed. Hopefully the addition of this complex sparks a demand to improve the quality of the area, but what can really be done when there are businesses around it that probably have no interest in relocating or spending the money to improve their exterior image? Also...that area is known for its water drainage off the highway and flooding from the river on the west side of I-196. Any development over there would require a lot of work to bypass that.  

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kevin8gr said:

I might be late to this but where the walls all done offsite then moved on site to be put on quickly? This went up really fast while 20 East Fulton is taking forever.

They are precast concrete walls. In one of the videos from the local media, you could see a section. It looks like each section is two (or three, can't remember) windows long. I'd imagine the facade will take shape pretty quickly.

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

They are precast concrete walls. In one of the videos from the local media, you could see a section. It looks like each section is two (or three, can't remember) windows long. I'd imagine the facade will take shape pretty quickly.

Joe

I wonder if they're building those sections next door? At that precast concrete company? Can't think of the name..