234 Market Mixed-Use Project

EastownLeo

6 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It's an infill structure going into an area that has been a wasteland for decades. Its main goal is to look presentable and to nail the ground floor so that people will actually start being in that part of the DT area. That is the important thing. Needless ornamentation for ornamentation sake is worthless if the basics are neglected. It just isnt the current architectural style, and it adds far too much to the cost.

It doesn't actually add that much in the context of a $50mm project.  I suspect far less than the goofy "feature" will likely cost.  I just find it hard to trip all over myself when a building isn't much more than a bunch of bricks stacked up with holes cut in.  Most of the old warehouses even put out more effort than that.  Heck, strip centers on the Beltline put out more effort.  

I didn't say it was bad.  It's a step in the right direction from some of the tin-panel wonders of late.  This just isn't anything I can get too worked up about.  

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, john_denver said:

That little triangle piece of land across from this new building.  It's some kind of weigh station bordered by Market, Finney and Williams streets.

Who owns that?

What could possibly developed on it?

I have always felt that this would be a prime spot for a drive through coffee place.  Just wish I had the apples to try.  Plus I know nothing about coffee.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, john_denver said:

That little triangle piece of land across from this new building.  It's some kind of weigh station bordered by Market, Finney and Williams streets.

Who owns that?

What could possibly developed on it?

It was for sale not that long ago. I think the seller wanted a king's ransom for it, IIRC. 

• 2 weeks later...

Meh.  Could be a lot worse, and I suppose it's sort of a warehouse district.  Still don't like the orange protuberance, which I see soldiers on.  Integrated just leaves a somewhat bland yet objectionable taste in my mouth.  They get a nice flavor going, and then seem to either screw it all up or fail to finish it, time and time again.  

And to be clear, I'm not panning the project or the development.  I'm simply panning the architects who tend to design the architectural equivalents of white Chevrolets with funky bumper stickers and a dent in the hood patched with bondo.  Serviceable, but ... lacking.  I'd like a Caddy with tail fins for once.  Maybe a Lincoln Continental.  Or an Auburn.  That's all.  Bold, yet classy and beautiful.  At least it ain't an Aztec or a Nissan Cube. 

21 hours ago, x99 said:

Meh.  Could be a lot worse, and I suppose it's sort of a warehouse district.  Still don't like the orange protuberance, which I see soldiers on.  Integrated just leaves a somewhat bland yet objectionable taste in my mouth.  They get a nice flavor going, and then seem to either screw it all up or fail to finish it, time and time again.  

And to be clear, I'm not panning the project or the development.  I'm simply panning the architects who tend to design the architectural equivalents of white Chevrolets with funky bumper stickers and a dent in the hood patched with bondo.  Serviceable, but ... lacking.  I'd like a Caddy with tail fins for once.  Maybe a Lincoln Continental.  Or an Auburn.  That's all.  Bold, yet classy and beautiful.  At least it ain't an Aztec or a Nissan Cube. 

I too find the orange protuberance to be somewhat superfluous.  It's kind of like, you've got the beard, the stocking cap and the thick rimmed glasses, we get it, you're a hipster, there's no need to add the orange cardigan at this point.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, wingbert said:

I too find the orange protuberance to be somewhat superfluous.  It's kind of like, you've got the beard, the stocking cap and the thick rimmed glasses, we get it, you're a hipster, there's no need to add the orange cardigan at this point.

:rofl: Maybe it's to set themselves apart from the other hipsters. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Maybe it's fenced off so the bulldozers don't get overzealous and smash/blow it up in the process? :)

Joe

Same owner per city records--GR MARKET something or another.. My guess is bulldozer munchies eventually.

Edited by x99
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, john_denver said:

I've always wished there was a Demolition Fantasy Camp where you could spend a day driving the bulldozers, etc.  This would be a nice 1 day Demolition Fantasy Camp.

Actually, there is. I don't know how much demolition you can do, but you can definitely drive some big vehicles (in Las Vegas, of course): 

http://digthisvegas.com/

Joe

• 2 weeks later...