234 Market Mixed-Use Project

EastownLeo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

Is wood framing typical for something of this scale?  

I think it comes down to cost. Sort of off topic, but I was in downtown Sarasota in April and they are building a 6-8 story building out of wood. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen as they had at least 3-5 2x4's end to end in many places. I'm sure it was for hurricane code, but it seemed like a ridiculous amount of work. Seemed like steel or concrete would have been the way to go. 

Joe

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think it comes down to cost. Sort of off topic, but I was in downtown Sarasota in April and they are building a 6-8 story building out of wood. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen as they had at least 3-5 2x4's end to end in many places. I'm sure it was for hurricane code, but it seemed like a ridiculous amount of work. Seemed like steel or concrete would have been the way to go. 

Joe

Wood is all the rage these days for the sustainability-minded.  "A 2014 white paper by Chicago-based architectural firm SOM found that using mass timber for structural elements while using concrete only for supplementary strength at connecting joints could make a 42-story wood-framed tower feasible while reducing the building’s carbon footprint by 60% to 75%." - Plant Material Discovery Could Benefit Future Wood Skyscraper Construction

Developer Unveils Plans for Wood Office Building in Chicago

World's 10 Most Incredible Buildings Made Entirely of Wood

4 hours ago, wingbert said:

Wood is all the rage these days for the sustainability-minded.  "A 2014 white paper by Chicago-based architectural firm SOM found that using mass timber for structural elements while using concrete only for supplementary strength at connecting joints could make a 42-story wood-framed tower feasible while reducing the building’s carbon footprint by 60% to 75%." - Plant Material Discovery Could Benefit Future Wood Skyscraper Construction

Developer Unveils Plans for Wood Office Building in Chicago

World's 10 Most Incredible Buildings Made Entirely of Wood

The owner of this told me underneath the entire building is constructed of wood, it is across from Display Pack on Monroe

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.57.54 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

have the initial "plans" for 201 market been shared publicly?  The city is looking at 5 bidders, one of which is Rockford. But I've not been able to find any of that info online.

http://www.201market.com/

https://mibiz.com/item/24683-5-firms-respond-to-rfq-for-201-market-redevelopment-in-grand-rapids

I don't think so, but I am definitely rooting for Rockford GRFC!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This project, 234 Market, is pretty impressive looking. The ceilings of the retail portion have to be 18- 20' tall. 

35423969316_e1581ea9a2_b.jpg

I haven't figured out why but this is one of my favorite projects right now. Some of it is definitely the retail space - love the higher ceilings and stronger first floor. 

Just now, GVSUChris said:

I haven't figured out why but this is one of my favorite projects right now. Some of it is definitely the retail space - love the higher ceilings and stronger first floor. 

It's a favorite for me because the building actually has character while the majority of the stuff going up is a bunch of boring rectangles. It also is replacing blight that was limiting the potential of the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

This building is visible from the S curve. Like Joe said, really changes the look of Market when heading South from DT. 

I was a passenger in a car the other day, which is unusual, and you can actually see it all the way down the river on the I-196 bridge. I assume then that this project will have a nice shot right down the river looking the other way, at least for the Northern wing of the building. 

• Like 2