234 Market Mixed-Use Project

EastownLeo

9 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

IMG_5634.JPG.dffde6018a820d311541a5d0b181e4a2.JPG

Sure is looking good.

It's actually looking better than the rendering. Quite a few more contours to the facade. 

Although maybe the recessed portions on the actual product will be the recessed patios in the rendering? Either way, looks good. 

• Like 1

https://mibiz.com/news/design-build/item/24908-developer-raises-

GRAND RAPIDS — The developers of a mixed-use project being built on the southwest side of downtown just completed an $8.7 million capital raise to finalize a construction loan.

With the loan in place from Chemical Bank, Grand Rapids - Market Avenue Place LLC, a subsidiary of East Lansing-based Maplegrove Property Management LLC, will continue moving forward with the $56.5 million project at 234 Market Ave. SW. 

A total of 34 investors participated in the equity raise, according to a filing with federal securities regulators. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scottythe1nonly said:

the building rings the block on three sides.  Are there any drawings of the East side?  It looks like it's going to be a surface lot?  Or are they putting a ramp in that space?

It's a ramp.

26121390085_defd0ae1c5_o.jpg

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The article makes it sound like they started the development and this will allow them to finish. Isn't ALL of the funding usually in place?!? :)

Joe

Good question. :)

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

The article makes it sound like they started the development and this will allow them to finish. Isn't ALL of the funding usually in place?!? :)

Joe

Remember Metro Health sitting around as a skeleton for quite some time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

the building rings the block on three sides.  Are there any drawings of the East side?  It looks like it's going to be a surface lot?  Or are they putting a ramp in that space?

My guess is that it is a 2-story garage. The thing in the middle looks like that is where the actually inclined ramp is, and what you are looking at is actually the lower deck, because I cant identify an exit/entrance anywhere else. The building itself is going to be built technically into the side of a hill, which makes the lower-right part of the image the part that is actually against the side of the hill so a straight surface lot wouldn't make any sense.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2017 at 10:02 PM, joeDowntown said:

Latest construction photos. It's actually hard to Capture how big this project is in a photo. Maybe it's the way it sits on the hill (or the sheer size), but it's a massive project!

I really agree with you about how massive this project feels. Has anyone heard what might be going in the ground floor?

On 9/17/2017 at 12:15 AM, WMrapids said:

I really hope they don't make that rectangular portion orange like in the drawings. I wonder what color it will actually be. Other than that the brick looks great on it. It may be more of the same old squares that we've been seeing in town but at least it has some curved elements to it.

I'm guessing it will be the orange. All the other colors are matching up to the latest rendering. I don't mind the orange.  #vitaminC

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

How is orange dutchy? And is that necessary? The last time I was in Ikea, it seemed like everything was orange. Is that what you mean? :)

Because of Hope College?   I think there is something about orange and the Netherlands, but orange  IS the new black you know. :D   Seriously, I think it's just happens to be an in color right now.   Maybe not Brady Bunch orange on your kitchen counters in, but its in.   It will get old in a few years and they will change it.

The royalty of the Netherlands are from the "House of Orange-Nassau ". Their flag used to be orange, white, and blue before they changed the orange to red.

I really love the color scheme myself. If you on the bridge (on Bridge St.), you will have a great down-river view of the project. The color will definitely make it stand out when looking at it from the north. Even when you are approaching the S-Curve on Market, it is such an imposing and inspiring structure already, and the unique color will make it pretty breathtaking.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The royalty of the Netherlands are from the "House of Orange-Nassau ". 

This ^.  If you've ever watched World Cup soccer you've seen the Dutch going bananas with the orange.

As for this building, I'm hoping it looks good and ages well and doesn't turn out like this old gem...

125791739_e742ebe2e0_z.jpg?zz=1

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wingbert said:

This ^.  If you've ever watched World Cup soccer you've seen the Dutch going bananas with the orange.

The Dutch are mad for orange when it comes to sports. 

3 hours ago, wingbert said:

As for this building, I'm hoping it looks good and ages well and doesn't turn out like this old gem...

125791739_e742ebe2e0_z.jpg?zz=1

THE HAMSTER CAGE! At least that's what we called it circa 1999 in East Lansing. I think that parking lot/structure is great but I may be biased.  GO GREEN!!

54 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

The Dutch are mad for orange when it comes to sports. 

THE HAMSTER CAGE! At least that's what we called it circa 1999 in East Lansing. I think that parking lot/structure is great but I may be biased.  GO GREEN!!

My thoughts exactly.  Probably a bit of nostalgia clouds our judgment here.. Was still the Hamster Cage when I left EL in 2006.   Go White!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

How is orange dutchy? And is that necessary? The last time I was in Ikea, it seemed like everything was orange. Is that what you mean? :)

Probably a rhetorical question but... the Netherlands soccer team is nicknamed “oranje”, the royal family is from the House of Oranje, and it is, indeed a color associated with the Dutch. :) https://www.google.com/amp/www.dutchamsterdam.nl/321-why-the-dutch-wear-orange/amp

Probably not the reason this building has Orange accents, but “the more you know”. Haha

Joe

• Like 1