234 Market Mixed-Use Project

EastownLeo

That's great news!

Wasn't he asking a ton of money for that?  Curious what he ended up getting for it. 

BTW, I like Fox 17's photo of the JW Marriott for the story. It looks like we have really nice 20+ story strip clubs here.  =)

Edited by mgreven

He was asking 6 million.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116380-showgirls-galleria-on-market-ave-for-sale/

I doubt he got that much. I would guess it was sold for just under 3 million, but who knows.

What is really surprising is that they want to do apartments/condos here.  I for sure would have thought Founders wanted that land.  The next Founders expansion is probably going to end up in an industrial park somewhere anyway.

He was asking 6 million.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116380-showgirls-galleria-on-market-ave-for-sale/

I doubt he got that much. I would guess it was sold for just under 3 million, but who knows.

What is really surprising is that they want to do apartments/condos here.  I for sure would have thought Founders wanted that land.  The next Founders expansion is probably going to end up in an industrial park somewhere anyway.

I could also see Founders buying up some of the other industrial land in blocks around them.  I think that the tax credits and funding that they find in the city really helps.  Things they would not find in the suburban industrial areas.

He was asking 6 million.

They should. Founders should not be able to turn this key area into a string of mega warehouses and characterless industral buildings for their operations. Their current expansion, along with the ITP building and Custer's Office Enviorment HQ all are either a bit too cold or suburban looking in terms of their street frontage to encourage more of that type of thing.

I hope Market St. now can develop in a way where it becomes a seemless extension of the DT area. A place where people feel comfortable doing more than driving through really fast in order to get out of there or turning around because they think they hit a shady part of town. This building is a huge reason why development there would have never taken place if it remained as a club. Thank goodness that is now gone.

Market St won't get much better until the city sells that lovely parcel of land across the street adjoining the river.  It looks like it houses various city operations.  Put a beach and possible rapids launch on that strip island, strong arm Azzar to sell his eyesore to the city for city personnel relocation and I'll get more excited.  A pity the rail slices right through it.

By the way, that bus maintenance center is frig'n huge from a satellite perspective.  Picturing in my mind Founder's new expansion it's still only half the size of the center.

• 5 months later...
49 minutes ago, tSlater said:

So about 26 units per floor.  Hmm.

It's a big site, about 85,000 square feet. Might be two towers or two sections, 11 stories each. 

The scale of this project sounds pretty large. 260 units plus common space is probably at least 250,000 sf, + 60,000 commercial. A sizable project is needed there though to make any dent in its "industrial feel." 

23648799622_a84481c2ac_b.jpg

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Lady Godivas Sold, to be 11 story mixed use project

By comparison, Arena Place is 200,000 square feet in two buildings, and Fulton Place is 125,000 square feet. 

This would be the largest mixed use project built downtown since Bridgewater Place. And with 60,000 square feet of "retail/commercial" and the size of this site for parking, they could get a fairly large retail anchor in there.

Did Maplegrove develop 38 Commerce or purchase it?  i remember 38 Commerce being proposed and then it seemed like it started going up real quick after without any fanfare or politics, or long drawn out North Monroe hotel type crap.  If that's the case that gives me a little confidence boost that they are solid in what they do.

7 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Did Maplegrove develop 38 Commerce or purchase it?  i remember 38 Commerce being proposed and then it seemed like it started going up real quick after without any fanfare or politics, or long drawn out North Monroe hotel type crap.  If that's the case that gives me a little confidence boost that they are solid in what they do.

No, Maplegrove bought 38 Commerce from Locus Development, which split up (one of the owners is now a big wig at Founders full time).

Maplegrove also bought Hopson Flats recently.

Article says Rockford Construction is providing development and construction services, This thing will go up.

Can the city grow North and South at the same time?  This would be a big leap to push for river front development between Fulton and Wealthy.  GVSU already started the move on the west side of the river.

I know that some of the buildings on the west side of the river closer to Wealthy have recently been purchased and the owners are doing minimal cleanup knowing that they are sitting waiting to be bought up for development.  It won't be long until Padnos gets bought up  and the tanglefoot building will become a great residential option.

• 3 months later...