234 Market Mixed-Use Project

EastownLeo

11 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I wonder what is next for the neighborhood...

The land across the street is supposed to make way for quite the development in the near future. Not sure if the city has sold it yet or not, but they agreed to put it on the market. Hopefully it turns into an entertainment and housing corridor along with a riverside park. 

16 hours ago, john_denver said:

It looks so different...better.  The area is getting cleaned up.

"Make Market Avenue Great Again!"

17 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

The land across the street is supposed to make way for quite the development in the near future. Not sure if the city has sold it yet or not, but they agreed to put it on the market. Hopefully it turns into an entertainment and housing corridor along with a riverside park. 

Actually the city is turning the old auto parts store into a parking lot in the very near future. 

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

"Make Market Avenue Great Again!"

Actually the city is turning the old auto parts store into a parking lot in the very near future. 

Really? I guess that makes sense if there are plans to develop the land between that and the river. I just hope a sale goes through and someone comes in and makes something of that. Let's make Market Ave. great for the first time...ever. ;)

8 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Really? I guess that makes sense if there are plans to develop the land between that and the river. I just hope a sale goes through and someone comes in and makes something of that. Let's make Market Ave. great for the first time...ever. ;)

I think it's temporary to relieve the parking crunch issue in some areas of downtown (and probably help with Founders employees):

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/07/more_downtown_parking_proposed.html

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, john_denver said:

The little building on the little triangle of land was torn down...across from ye' old strip joint.

I wonder if there any plans or just a green space?

That'd be nice there. I just visited Boston and was thinking that Grand Rapids needs some more green near downtown. FMG is pretty nice, but is quite far away from everything.

Or maybe someone could put another 42 story building on that small triangle there too. :)

26 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

That'd be nice there. I just visited Boston and was thinking that Grand Rapids needs some more green near downtown. FMG is pretty nice, but is quite far away from everything.

Or maybe someone could put another 42 story building on that small triangle there too. :)

Yeah, I was picturing a green space with a seasonal cafe that serves coffee, etc.. like in Central Park or other big cities.  But the big industrial trucks that barrel down Monroe may spoil that scene.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I still wonder what they're doing with that triangle of land. It's not really shown in any of the drawings/renderings. 

It would be nice if it became a mini green space with trees and benches. Not exactly the most relaxing of surroundings, but the area is in need of it with the addition of housing. 

13 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

It would be nice if it became a mini green space with trees and benches. Not exactly the most relaxing of surroundings, but the area is in need of it with the addition of housing. 

Whaddayamean? There's the big green roof on top of the Rapid building? :) 

Unless you loaded that triangle with hundreds of trees, I don't think you'd see it get used very much. It'd be a dog poop park. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Whaddayamean? There's the big green roof on top of the Rapid building? :) 

Unless you loaded that triangle with hundreds of trees, I don't think you'd see it get used very much. It'd be a dog poop park. 

The pooches demand a poop park. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It's a great place for a fountain/sculpture.

The area is eventually going to become an extension of DT. It would make sense to put something there that will attract pedestrian traffic and interaction.

That's what they said about Cherry Park.

That space is almost as big as the Hinman lot.  How about another 42-story tower?

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

That's what they said about Cherry Park.

That space is almost as big as the Hinman lot.  How about another 42-story tower?

Yes, it'd make a good respite for the homeless on their way to their s-curve offramp shifts. 

And for dogs to poop. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...