234 Market Mixed-Use Project

EastownLeo

There is a workout place just a hop away on Market by the S-Curve (next to the Intersection), but this wont hurt them at all. PF it seems has a reputation for being a bit of a joke to the super serious fitness folks, and the people at the other place definitely look like the super serious types when I've driven by.

But it may take a little bit of the overcrowding from the Y.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

44 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

There is a workout place just a hop away on Market by the S-Curve (next to the Intersection), but this wont hurt them at all. PF it seems has a reputation for being a bit of a joke to the super serious fitness folks, and the people at the other place definitely look like the super serious types when I've driven by.

But it may take a little bit of the overcrowding from the Y.

Yeah, I definitely don't think there will be much crossover between 8th Day (a crossfit gym w/ people lugging bags of sand around downtown) and Planet Fitness. I think it's definitely a good fit for downtown, especially if they have on site parking (workers coming downtown - it's still a bit far away from "the core" to walk from the office).  Nice!

Joe

This is pretty cool.  I've often wondered when we would see a PF in GR proper (excluding the one on LMD).  I always thought it would be Michigan St or Eastown.  There's quite a few gyms DT already, but they all seem to cater to different groups.  I think this will be successful.  It's especially nice for out of towners who are looking for something better than a hotel 'fitness center'.

I wonder about parking on site in the ramp.  Maybe 1-2 hours free?  Probably not, though....

10 hours ago, MJLO said:

That's great news!  I wish it could have opened up on the Westside but I'll take it. 

The Westside has the Y! :) I actually don't think this will pull that much business from the Y. "Gym people" are not big fans of the downtown Y's weight lifting area, even though their cardio area and indoor track are pretty unsurpassed in the metro area. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Just found out the vacant retail space on the corner of Williams and Market is being turned into 7 apartment units.

Ground floor apartments...on Market? That would be a pass for myself! I remember seeing them in DT Seattle a few years back and thought it was the most bizarre thing, especially how the front doors opened right into your living room 5 feet from the sidewalk!

4 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Ground floor apartments...on Market? That would be a pass for myself! I remember seeing them in DT Seattle a few years back and thought it was the most bizarre thing, especially how the front doors opened right into your living room 5 feet from the sidewalk!

I mean, we are in a housing crunch. I guess ANYTHING at this point is a plus. Just feel like once the amphitheatre opens, that retail spot would have been found gold.

I think it’s much better than commercial space that sits empty. It would be nice if the city changed the rules a bit to allow more residential on the ground level. Especially if they encouraged a more urban/residential feel with small courtyards/ ornamental gates/fences. If they slap residential into a former retail space, it’ll probably look terrible in a few years. 

Joe