The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

UNCC classes (Both grad and undergrad) are now scheduled to be online only until October 1. Move in dates have been pushed back until the end of September.

https://ninernationcares.uncc.edu

ECU went all online this morning after reporting a crapton of cases (more than Chapel Hill I believe) yesterday.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

More on the Atrium Wake Forest med school here in Charlotte.  Biz Journal article below. 

""Wake Forest medical students will start rotations in Charlotte in March. The school received a record 11,000 applications this year, said Dr. Julie Ann Freischlag, CEO of Wake Forest Baptist Health and dean of the School of Medicine.""

sounds like plenty of students for the new Charlotte campus.  Wake Forest in Winston enrolled 1900 students in med school there.

Why the Atrium Health, Wake Forest combination made sense - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like UNC / WFU are making sure they tap into Charlotte's corporate wealth, Wake is already establishing a entire grad level division here, along with a med school. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Novant/UNC deal morph into a full school & both eventually establishing Law programs here

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

This just feels like a continued slap in the face to UNC Charlotte. Belk is a great business school, and if the state really cared, they would pump money into that school rather than have UNC Chapel Hill stake their claim here. It's really unfortunate the the home city of the second largest university in the state refuses to pay it any mind, while allowing schools that are over a hundred miles away set up shop here. I am sure Kenan-Flagler is a great school...but why does it have to be UNCCH? Why can't UNC Charlotte get some of this attention. 

And don't come in and say that we should be proud that a school of the stature of UNCCH is wanting to set up shop here. What it's really doing is blocking the success of other schools. Cut us off at the knees so that UNCCH remains the flagship school that gets all the $$$. Academic stature is purely tied to the wealth of a university, and when you have state-supported universities all jostling for funds, it's the big players that get first dibs and leave everyone else to scrounge. And it's not fair.

UNC Charlotte should be fighting this to the bitter end. 

I think there is plenty of room for UNC Chapel Hill to offer a full time MBA program in Charlotte and UNC Charlotte to continue to offer a part-time MBA program in Charlotte (where you stay in your job). Belk doesn't offer a full time program and I don't think it has plans to, so the Chapel Hill program offers a niche for people that plan to fully leave their existing job / quit et. and just do school. They can absolutely co-exist and I expect Belk to remain way bigger in Charlotte due to cost and people wanting to stay with their employer / continue working while doing school.

Due to the lack of full time MBA programs in Charlotte, many people that want a full time program have to move away from Charlotte. This provides an option for people to remain in Charlotte while they finish the program and network with employers here. A win-win for the city. More options isn't a bad thing.

Belk should be proud of the program they've built and honestly, they should be proud enough to know that students WILL continue to select the program due to its quality, cost, and part-time status. It doesn't need to be scared of Chapel Hill / have an inferiority complex. It can stand on its own two feet. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

UNC Charlotte has the state's largest computing college and it's among the largest in the nation. It graduates more computer science majors than any other university in the Carolinas and Virginia, and is the North Carolina's No. 1 producer of Black, Hispanic and female computer science graduates.""

Unless it's producing more black, Hispanic, and female graduates per capita of enrollment, that's just marketing spin for a population heat map.

In my graduate school time (before most of you were born) I had a class of Measurement and Statistics. I recall nearly nothing of it now except the example of wrongful deduction from data which had a graph of union membership in the U. S. overlaid with the incidence of (some) disease in India. Correlation? Causation? The data speaks, you decide.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just up the road from Charlotte the first private dental school in NC at High Point University!  NC is growing so much the need for doctors like at Wake Forest and their new Charlotte campus and this new dental school will fill the need for medical professionals in this state. 

""High Point University's transformational growth trajectory continued Wednesday with the announcement of a new graduate program that will bring a $150 million investment over five years.  HPU President Nido Qubein announced the School of Dental Medicine and Oral Health will be next addition to the university’s “innovation corridor.”  The new school, pending Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accreditation, will enroll its first class in fall 2023. At full capacity, the only dental school at a private university in North Carolina will bring 180 students to campus. The new building will be on International Avenue, housing the 10th academic school on the HPU campus and the seventh added since Qubein’s arrival in 2005.""

from the Triad Biz Journal

High Point University's newest program: a dental school | Education | greensboro.com

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, kermit said:

Phil Dubois retired a year ago and the Provost (the chief academic officer) just announced her pending retirement this morning. This combination of retirements could facilitate a significant change of footing at UNCC. The new chancellor has made no secret of desiring to push UNCC to R1 status (equal research footing to Chapel Hill, NCSU etc). The new provost will almost certainly share that goal.

unfortunatley no one on campus is optimistic this evolution can happen. It will require huge budget infusions from the gop controlled system and legislature (faculty can’t conduct much world class research when they teach 6 classes a year). The system has also been unwilling to pay to retain research stars or to offer competitive graduate student stipends (the folks who would likely pick up the teaching slack).

In short, there is a will on the part of administration to improve the research output of UNCC, but if it’s gonna happen the political will to do it needs to be cultivated in Raleigh. I am not sure the current chancellor recognizes that yet.

With the new Atrium/Wake Forest Campus, I wonder if UNCC can partner with that somehow, or feed off that? The Innovation Campus will be bringing in a lot of Private research. Establishing a hub close by, maybe in Brooklyn Village could allow them to work with a lot of the companies who are likely to move in, even if they can't partner with Wake/Atrium.