The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

• 2 weeks later...

2022 US News Rankings released today, Charlotte area universities and colleges:

National Universities:
Charlotte, #227 (also #112 top public universities)
Wingate, #299-391 range

National Liberal Arts:
Davidson, #13
Johnson C Smith, #168-222 range

Regional Colleges South:
Catawba College, #8
Queens, #15
Winthrop, #17
Belmont Abbey, #19
Livingstone, #71-93 range

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

2022 US News Rankings released today, Charlotte area universities and colleges:

National Universities:
Charlotte, #227 (also #112 top public universities)
Wingate, #299-391 range

National Liberal Arts:
Davidson, #13
Johnson C Smith, #168-222 range

Regional Colleges South:
Catawba College, #8
Queens, #15
Winthrop, #17
Belmont Abbey, #19
Livingstone, #71-93 range

Just for some context: the previous administration at Charlotte was not keen on sharing information with USNWR for college rankings. Dubois was quoted many times as saying he didn't put much emphasis on them, and continued to use Charlotte as the "best hidden secret in Charlotte." With Dr. Gaber at the helm, she has said she would like to see our ranking improve based on the great work at the university.  She also is looking at raising our Carnegie classification to the highest available (Charlotte is currently R2). I'm hopeful that this year was a status-quo year considering the pandemic, and that next year will see some improvement based on our responsiveness to the ranking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

New attendance figures out for UNC Charlotte

Inbox: Fall enrollment reaches 30,448 at , setting a record for the third consecutive year

I wish they'd emphasize quality over quantity.  You should hear some of the complaints from professors I know.  Some of these 'kids'  haven't even EVER stepped into a library before.  It's scary.

6 hours ago, Rufus said:

I would look at it this way -- enrollment was generally one of the only ways the university would get any attention from the State and the public. In the 90s and early 00s, you saw this explosive growth that hasn't let down at all, and I think a lot of that growth helped propel the university towards improved (still not great) funding and capital projects. I'll say that the university is changing its tune and becoming more and more about academics and research, it's just hard to do that and contend with the level of growth seen. That all being said, when I was at the university 2006-2010, it was extremely rigorous, and compared to some of my classes in grad school here in NYC, I would say the university could go toe to toe with many "esteemed" universities in the Northeast. I think it all comes down to resources. When the pool is so limited, the best way to gain more resources is to grow so that you need more to stay afloat (mixed metaphor but it makes sense). 

I suspect you'll find it's changed a lot in the quick 10 years you graduated.  My wife teaches there.  When I met her in the early 2000's she was bubbling over with excitement. Her research was going well, other professors and she would get together for Happy Hour,  and students were so fun and ready to learn.  One of her classes even took it upon themselves to create a bumper sticker that had to do with a segment of her class.  There was a lot of chemistry.  Perhaps things changed during the recession. Perhaps things changed due to the increased pressure to develop STEM programs at the loss of humanities, but something has changed. 

Capital projects are impressive....on the surface.  All I see are big box buildings from my perspective. (I'm still bemoaning the loss of all that green canopy for STEM buildings.)

^ if I were a betting man I would put money on A&T being the next ‘it’ university in NC (taking the mantle from UNCA)

Also interesting that Western saw a decline, despite it being virtually free due to the NC Promise program that makes tuition $500 per semester for in-state students (this is also available at ECSU and Pembroke which saw enrollment increases).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Niner National said:

With today's technology do you even have to step into a library? I went to the library one time while in college. Anything I ever needed, even books, were available online. That was 16 years ago. Surely the technology is even more robust today.

I was going to say this.  The only reason I ever went to the library in my college days was to have a quiet place to study.  I basically never looked at the books except for the one English/humanities class I had to take as an engineering student. 

6 hours ago, Windsurfer said:

You guys remind me of several engineering friends of mine.  I asked one once, "When is the last time you read a book?"

His response: " About 20 years ago".  (It had been just a weather manual at that)

Unbelievable. If you meet and talk with any CEO , lawyer, or owner of a well-run business, and ask him/her what the last book was that they read their face will light up.  You'll be lucky to shut them down after they tell you the wonderful things they just read.  

I can't begin to tell you the stuff I found just going randomly through shelves at a library.  You're missing out on a lot. It can be even better than the internet. Heaven forbid.

Haha These days most of the books I "read" are audiobooks, just because working fulltime, studying for the PE, and being a parent don't offer too much other free time.  As a kid I was a total book worm, but most of the physical books I read these days are board books with my kids.  I retain information slightly better reading from a physical book, but finding the time for that is just hard these days. Audiobooks (mostly through the library, CML has an amazing selection) allow me to multitask somewhat by exercising, commuting, or cleaning while also "reading" some.  All that said, I think libraries (especially public libraries) are incredibly important resources for communities.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TGIBridays said:

Haha These days most of the books I "read" are audiobooks, just because working fulltime, studying for the PE, and being a parent don't offer too much other free time.  As a kid I was a total book worm, but most of the physical books I read these days are board books with my kids.  I retain information slightly better reading from a physical book, but finding the time for that is just hard these days. Audiobooks (mostly through the library, CML has an amazing selection) allow me to multitask somewhat by exercising, commuting, or cleaning while also "reading" some.  All that said, I think libraries (especially public libraries) are incredibly important resources for communities.

I have a nine year old myself. She's able to look up books on her own and loves having that power.  She still gravitates to "graphic novels"....we used to call them comic books, but also reads at a college level. We didn't press her, just read aloud to her even when she couldn't understand us, or the book. All she realized was that we enjoyed reading print. Somehow that was conveyed.

You hit the nail on the head about libraries being essential.  This was on my mind last night after reading the above comments with regard to our uptown library plans. Should we still be planning improvements to a library that apparently just offers a roof for homeless folks? 

1 hour ago, JeanClt said:

I am a STEM student (Engineering) and I feel slightly offended by this last remark…lol, no but I agree…somewhat. I’d like it if there were more trees on campus. The sun beating down on you during this summer was making a walking trip on the crazy hills on campus a hell walk. I told one of my peers I wanted more trees and they told me there were enough… I said no… We need much more especially lining the sidewalks!! The STEM buildings are great IMO, but I would also like more canopy shading.

I'm sure you've travelled the world, as most on this forum have.  One of the FEW things we can boast about, or at least relish, is the fact that we have some trees in this city.  Drive around LA or Southern Cal.  Visit Madrid., Sao Paulo or any other megacity.  What do we have they don't?  Trees.  Or, at least what's left.  Buildings are a dime a dozen, and the ones UNCC put out there look like something made of plastic to look like ancient Greece or something.  So. Corny.  I appreciate STEM, but so many in those fields can't see beyond their Legos.  I'm glad you appreciate some green.  Go with it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I’d like it if there were more trees on campus. The sun beating down on you during this summer was making a walking trip on the crazy hills on campus a hell walk. I told one of my peers I wanted more trees and they told me there were enough… I said no… We need much more especially lining the sidewalks!! The STEM buildings are great IMO, but I would also like more canopy shading.

I'd like to think that the trees by Woodward are finally getting large enough. When I was there in 2006-2010, Woodward was fairly new and the trees were still quite young. I'd chance to say that anything built after that still needs time to grow into the canopy. It also didn't help that Belk Quad was redone and has very little canopy (if any). I much rather preferred the quads by Robinson or Fretwell because they had more tree shade. And while Cone is aging and needs a good redesign, I think the trees along it and Atkins are pretty great. Is the shaded area between Burson and CHHS still there? That was always nice. As were the trees between the Pine, Oak, Maple buildings and Witherspoon. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Follow up article to @KJHburg's posting above.  Great news for Hickory and the surrounding area to have a big presence of a state university.  I will be curious to see what transpires at this site.  Also we could see  academic collaboration between ASU and Lenoir-Rhyne College.

https://today.appstate.edu/2021/11/19/hickory

• Like 4