The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Too late on the Med school at UNCC but they should do a law school in conjunction with UNC Chapel Hill.   Otherwise I think Wake Forest will open a school here and end that.  The UNC system is being very shortsighted as it contends to this area but thank God Wake Forest is coming to town with their Medical school or we would still not have one. 

The disposition at the UNC Board of Governors level is really the general dismissal of Charlotte because it is not Chapel Hill nor the Triangle. TPTB can control the Triangle all one has to do is look at the lower levels of ethnic and racial diversity of that area outside of small pockets as proof.  If UNC were to open a full fledged law school and medical school at UNCC then Charlotte would literally explode in the racial and ethnic diversity at an even more expediential fashion than it is already coming in now without either.  The gap in economic mobility would significantly close as more educational resources and vocational training options for those here will also increase.  Education is one economic sector Charlotte should capitalize upon.  As higher education helps those from the working class have more options and access to betterment and economic  mobility along bringing up the overall regional educational attainment level. 

TPTB doesn't want Charlotte to turn into Houston overnight because that level of diversity of people, economic, higher education, and urban design landscapes would be make keeping things under the NCGA control would be nearly impossible.  The thing is we'll be looking similar to present-day Houston-levels of diversity and options in the next 2 decades regardless. 

UNC is opening a de facto medical school with Novant Health at the Presbyterian Medical Center campus. However, it'll take a major push from UNCC leadership to evolve this into a full-fledged medical center. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, a2theb said:

Charlotte is only a non traditional program as well no?

Not sure what you mean by non-traditional.  If you mean not full time, then yes, but Wake shut down their full time program years ago so neither Charlotte nor Winston Salem have a full time MBA program. But I don’t think that just because it’s a part time program that it is non-traditional per se (note neither location offers an EMBA either)

4 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Not sure what you mean by non-traditional.  If you mean not full time, then yes, but Wake shut down their full time program years ago so neither Charlotte nor Winston Salem have a full time MBA program. But I don’t think that just because it’s a part time program that it is non-traditional per se (note neither location offers an EMBA either)

Non-traditional probably wasn't the right term to use as it seems most MBA programs these days are not full time! 

I didn't realize both locations were part time either.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:12 PM, Blue_Devil said:

In all honesty, I would not be surprised to see Duke Partner with something Local when it comes to medicine. The Health System has been afraid of getting encircled by UNC and Atrium for a while. 

While my Employer Highly disagrees with me, I would love to see Duke come and open a Hospital At Johnson C. Smith, with a Medical and healthcare school campus.  That said it'd be really hard to make that financially viable in North Carolina's regulatory environment.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

News from Johnson and Wales they are selling one of their student housing towers and it makes a lot of sense to me.

""Johnson & Wales University plans to sell its City View Towers student housing building uptown, the school confirmed to CBJ this week.  The eight-story, 239,000-square-foot building at Pine and Fifth streets can accommodate 554 residents. Amenities include a fitness center and game room.   JWU and Spectrum Properties were partners on the apartment-style project, which opened in 2005. It’s located a half-mile from JWU’s campus in uptown.  “The current state of the real estate market will allow us to gain important financial resources to invest in our new College of Health and Wellness as well as existing programs,” a JWU spokesperson told CBJ.  The uptown campus includes two student housing buildings with combined capacity for 721 people. According to JWU, 66% of students live on campus.  The school’s current enrollment is 1,262 students. Although it is best known as a culinary and hospitality school, JWU has broadened its academic programs in Charlotte and at sister campuses across the country.""

Johnson & Wales University to sell student housing building in uptown - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I took a self guided unauthorized tour as construction was wrapping up and to me it looked like typical dorm or student housing.  I bet it needs a refresh by now for sure.  

• Like 4