The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

So proud of my Alma Mater and did not know that UNC Charlotte was once run by the City  of Charlotte school system and stayed a community college for a couple years.  Read the history of this fine institution that I went to post graduate, my brother undergrad, my nephew both undergrad and post graduate.   

https://issuu.com/unc_charlotte/docs/wtr_22_mag_digital_full/2?ff

Kudos to UNC Charlotte Alumni association for putting a new logo sticker inside the magazine for us alums! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

this is great news for UNC Charlotte and since Amazon has more employees in the Charlotte metro than any other area in the state.  

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/03/03/unc-charlotte-tuition-soon-free-for-amazon-employees-in-nc/

this is a great recruitment tool for Amazon too and provides upward mobility.  

My top of the head count of local Amazon facilities are as follows: Mecklenburg County 7  Cabarrus County 3 Gaston County new one.  Plus Prime Air which has a local base at CLT. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this is great news for UNC Charlotte and since Amazon has more employees in the Charlotte metro than any other area in the state.  

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/03/03/unc-charlotte-tuition-soon-free-for-amazon-employees-in-nc/

My top of the head count of local Amazon facilities are as follows: Mecklenburg County 7  Cabarrus County 3 Gaston County new one.  Plus Prime Air which has a local base at CLT. 

Could we expect the Prime Air base to grow at CLT? Given its proximity to the facility across the street from the airport, I feel like they could expand.

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is a good thing but...tons of employers pay for college and get a lot less press for it. My employer has been doing it since I was hired 35 years ago (and I assume banks pay for graduate degrees,  but don't know for sure). Perhaps it's rare for warehouse employees to get this perk but Amazon is obviously unique in that the owner is among the richest people in human history. Bigger question (I didn't read the article), will they allow paid time off for employees to actually attend class?  Again, this is a good thing overall but Bezos does NOTHING that is not beneficial to Bezos.

15 hours ago, JBS said:

This is a good thing but...tons of employers pay for college and get a lot less press for it.

Yup, in my experience, for masters degrees anyway, this group has included:

• Family dollar (back when they existed)
  • City of Charlotte
  • CharMeck Untilities
  • Duke Energy
  • Bank of America
  • Wells
  • quite a few other local companies that I can't remember at this point
Edited by kermit

Just up the road from the Charlotte area High Point University got 3 gifts totally $100 MILLION  for the university.

https://businessnc.com/3-families-pledge-100m-to-high-point-university/

HPU will open a law school.  Now Charlotte is one the largest cities in the country without a law school!   Every one of our peer cities has a law school.  I sure wish Wake Forest would open a branch of their law school here.   Everytime I turn around I am running into a WFU law grad.  Will see 2 tomorrow! 

Raleigh has the law school of Campbell University.  Duke and NCCU in Durham.  UNC in Chapel Hill.  HPU in High Point.  Wake in Winston.  Elon University Law school in Greensboro.    Charlotte has ____?

Mecklenburg County has the 2nd highest number of attorneys in the state after only Wake County. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is an example of how important is to this region and retaining and attracting people.  

My nephew just graduated from UNC Charlotte with both an undergraduate and now graduate degree MS in Data Analytics under the Belk Business school.   He has already lived around the world with my brother in Kazakstan, Republic of Georgia and China.  (But born in the USA)  He actually graduated from an international school in China about 40 miles outside of Hong Kong  (my brother and his wife both teachers)  He looked at a lot of schools, got into my most (wait listed by Georgia Tech and Cornell) but chose UNC Charlotte and was a Levine scholar.  

He met his wife from Durham also a data analytics undergrad and both will live in Charlotte and he will work at TIAA after working an internship there.  My brother his father was an UNCC undergrad and of course I was a UNCC MBA grad.  All of this could have been different if he went to Georgia Tech ( a great school) but I would have thought he would ended up in Atlanta. 

So whether you are a graduate or not of UNC Charlotte, UNCC, Charlotte etc this school is of the utmost importance to region in attracting knowledge workers.  And we need to continue to push for its growth and expansion.  

UNCC is very similar to the history of D1 rival school (my undergraduate alma mater), UAB (The University of Alabama at Birmingham) . The only difference is UAB has the world renowned medical school  and research programs.  The UNCC research apparatus needs to ramp up even further so that it can become "R1 Very High Research Activity" institution.  Hopefully, one day soon UNCC will finally get its own well deserved medical school of its own as well after several attempts blocked by the UNC Board.

Because let's face it, Charlotte is a major city. It's large enough to support two 4-year distinct medical schools (Wake Forest and one tied to UNCC) along the multiple business schools (Wake Forest & USC satellite campus), and a full fledged law school these days. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, kayman said:

UNCC is very similar to the history of D1 rival school (my undergraduate alma mater), UAB (The University of Alabama at Birmingham) . The only difference is UAB has the world renowned medical school  and research programs.  The UNCC research apparatus needs to ramp up even further so that it can become "R1 Very High Research Activity" institution.  Hopefully, one day soon UNCC will finally get its own well deserved medical school of its own as well after several attempts blocked by the UNC Board.

Because let's face it, Charlotte is a major city. It's large enough to support two 4-year distinct medical schools (Wake Forest and one tied to UNCC) along the multiple business schools (Wake Forest & USC satellite campus), and a full fledged law school these days. 

UNCC would need a teaching hospital partner... Atrium has decided to partner with Wake Forest University... which complicates things for UNCC. The other main hospital system in the Charlotte area is Novant, who does not have any experience or locations as teaching hospitals currently and seems less ambitious on that front than Atrium. So in addition to getting the UNC Board to cooperate, they would need Novant to decide to meet the requirements of being a teaching hospital / make that investment. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...