The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

so happy for Hickory to have this new campus of App State in town.  Hopefully 1000 students by 2023.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/appalachian-state-university-looking-expand-campus-hickory/MY3XDL5PPFDVBJ2PXGPOKBUGZE/

Yeah it's on US 321 corridor.  I saw it in February when I was there to visit the Hickory City Walk urban trail.  It's a good thing for that part of the Metro Charlotte area. 

Edited by kayman

Aren't MSA's due to be re-evaluated soon? I heard this during discussion about the Triangle, which many (including me) believe should be one single MSA rather than two. Same goes for Triad. I know they use commuting metrics to determine this... I wonder if NC will see some major MSA boundary changes in the next couple years.

23 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Aren't MSA's due to be re-evaluated soon? I heard this during discussion about the Triangle, which many (including me) believe should be one single MSA rather than two. Same goes for Triad. I know they use commuting metrics to determine this... I wonder if NC will see some major MSA boundary changes in the next couple years.

There are big questions looming on how to treat WFH (and other remote places) in commuting stats. We might see an across the board decline in MSA sizes due to pandemic-era changes in commuting patterns.

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The UNC System (not individual campuses) must approve all new programs before they can begin to operate. Part of that approval includes a certification that the new program won’t compete with or canabalize any existing programs elsewhere in the system including feedback from any campuses potentially affected. Given this one of two things must have happened:  a) Chapel Hill  emphasized in its application that its executive program in Charlotte was substantially different from anything offered at UNCC — and UNCC B-school officials agreed with that statement; or b) the system didn't give a crap about impacts on UNCC and just rubber stamped the application from the flagship (which would be contrary to current policy but happens more than you would think).

If the programs are similar then I would be very surprised if there was not pushback from UNCC, so I think the most likely answer is some form of b). Having said that, I have no idea about what the new program proposes to do, so it may in-fact be substantially different than anything offered by UNCC.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Hopefully the leadership at Charlotte pushes back against this.

If the program is being advertised then it is too late for that. The new Chapel Hill MBA program has already been approved.

The UNC program much like Duke’s exec program are both top in the nation. They are catering to high end bankers in the Charlotte region that are willing to fly to NYC or Chicago for programs, who would not even be looking at UNC Charlotte. 

US News MBA Rankings:

Duke - 12

UNC Chapel Hill - 19

UNC Charlotte - unranked

edit: double post

Edited by Blue_Devil

53 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Sure, that's the full-time MBA program, but the part-time MBA that is designed for those with jobs or other responsibilities, ranks UNC Charlotte #69. 

And  I mean, rankings only do so much since most them benefit the haves over the have-nots. It suggests that Duke and UNCCH are "better" than UNC Charlotte, even though we all know that these rankings are extremely biased towards those who can afford to pay into them. UNC Charlotte is a fantastic university, with a great business school that has been providing key employees and services to this city that has only helped bolster the growth that we have all seen. I would even chance to say that if UNC Charlotte didn't exist, this city would not be where it is now. 

So you made my point. Banking middle management looking to make it to the exec level, who can afford to pay for it and want the connections UNC Chapel Hill provides. These people were not looking at UNC Charlotte. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Johnson and Wales teeters on the brink (enrollment down 55%, no president for over a year). Exploring a shift to nursing edu, but JWU has also been shutting down other regional campuses (Denver).

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/08/26/johnson-wales-university-jwu-campus-crossroads.html

Edited by kermit

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...