Jump to content

cltbwimob

The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, kermit said:

I would be surprised if it ended up anywhere other than adjacent to CMC main. However it would be a fantastic anchor for the innovation corridor (N of Optimist Hall) that was in the N Tryon vision plan if Wake was in the mood for urban trailblazing (they did have some success w the WS Innovation Quarter)

Is someone buying out the rail yard in this idea?  It is my #1 hope for Charlotte to redevelop that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Is someone buying out the rail yard in this idea?  It is my #1 hope for Charlotte to redevelop that....

It was a neighborhood plan so it was basically just art. 

But yea, IIRC the innovation corridor replaced the rail yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 8:01 PM, js4life said:

The more I think about it, this partnership might be a better fit than the UNC /Atrium deal .  Combining both strengths could help Wake attract more research funding & Charlotte likely gets a decent chunk of it.

UNC/CHS would have been orders of magnitude better, only certain people decided having a dick measuring contest made more sense than, ya know, having the chance to build one of the largest integrated healthcare systems (atrium is already big, but this would have been a game changer) in the country AND a de novo med school that would have been top 25 in under a decade.

BG is still a world class teaching hospital and its practitioners are incredibly gifted,  but walking out of residency staring down $300k in student loan debt is a motherfudgeer no matter how many zeroes are at the end of the rainbow. UNC is the best deal on earth and it’s a shame that the measuring sticks impeded improving the state’s public health (also, to bury the lede, I’m not sure it would have made it past antitrust, but we deserved the chance to find out).

 

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
“Motherfudgeer,” from the Germanic “mutterfocker”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

UNC/CHS would have been orders of magnitude better, only certain people decided having a dick measuring contest made more sense than, ya know, having the chance to build one of the largest integrated healthcare systems (atrium is already big, but this would have been a game changer) in the country AND a de novo med school that would have been top 25 in under a decade.

BG is still a world class teaching hospital and its practitioners are incredibly gifted,  but walking out of residency staring down $300k in student loan debt is a motherfudgeer no matter how many zeroes are at the end of the rainbow. UNC is the best deal on earth and it’s a shame that the measuring sticks impeded improving the state’s public health (also, to bury the lede, I’m not sure it would have made it past antitrust, but we deserved the chance to find out).

 

From a potential to grow  research in Charlotte & the current poltical climate on the state level makes this is a better deal , Chapel Hill was always going to get the overwhelming majority of funding & you don't have to deal with state of NC . 

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, js4life said:

From a potential to grow  research in Charlotte & the current poltical climate on the state level makes this is a better deal , Chapel Hill was always going to get the overwhelming majority of funding & you don't have to deal with state of NC . 

There's a lot to unpack here but this take is just dead wrong.  

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
Punctuation is important

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, js4life said:

From a potential to grow  research in Charlotte & the current poltical climate on the state level makes this is a better deal , Chapel Hill was always going to get the overwhelming majority of funding & you don't have to deal with state of NC . 

I agree 100%.  Wake needs this relationship to increase its research levels.  A UNC related school would always play second fiddle by a large margin to Chapel Hill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new CPCC design and colors looks too similar UNCC.

Speaking of UNCC, it doesn’t truly hit until it hits your city. It looks as if the school and police department was able to take control of the situation in a timely manner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Merthecat said:

CPCC unveiled a new branding today, which includes a completely redesigned logo and website, as well as new school colours:

I know it's supposed to be an up arrow, but it looks like the logo of a home builder.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

The new CPCC design and colors looks too similar UNCC.

Speaking of UNCC, it doesn’t truly hit until it hits your city. It looks as if the school and police department was able to take control of the situation in a timely manner. 

I never thought gun violence was as widespread as it was until one year ago when Majory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL was the next victim of a mass shooting. Truly a sad world we live in politics aside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

The new CPCC design and colors looks too similar UNCC.

Speaking of UNCC, it doesn’t truly hit until it hits your city. It looks as if the school and police department was able to take control of the situation in a timely manner. 

The two have always had similar colours, but I'm a bit more confused by why CPCC's new website uses blue instead of the grey-green in the video.  The blue and gold are almost the same colours as Wake Tech.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Great piece from Charlotte Ledger newsletter today.  I don't have any affiliation to UNCC, but want them to be successful for Charlotte's sake.  Does anyone closer to the school have any sense for whether this might at least push UNCC to start an Uptown law school?  Seems like they better hop on that opportunity before they lose it too.  Hopefully, some of the alumni bashing the Chancellor also used it as an opportunity to push for a Charlotte law school

Phil is close enough to retirement that I don't really think the prospect of getting fired will motivate him.

Its currently is a very unsettled time for the UNC system. Last year saw significant unexpected enrollment declines at ECU (this caused a $5 million budget gap and a hiring freeze). Based on emails from admin over the past month, UNCC is now _very_ concerned about enrollment declines for this year's entering class (new freshman, transfers and new grad students). The mass shooting was not mentioned in this context, but I do have some suspicions it may be playing a role in UNCC enrollment declines as well.   While declines are not unexpected (the demographics of the post- millennial generation are awful for higher ed), they are a huge surprise to the UNC system  since every level of administration thought low tuition costs would win the day (and smaller private schools would feel the brunt of the demographic impact). Since UNCC has been on an expansion footing for so long (and federal funding via the NSF is declining), it is really going to be whipsawed if enrollment declines materialize. 

Now that the Board of Governors has multiple data points suggesting that the downturn may be real for most of the system I would not expect to see any new or expanded programs approved until enrollments stabilize. This is doubly true for law schools which have been having some significant enrollment struggles in the post-recession era.

image.png.8d4f6672a80602386accb7b69d8339c0.png

ECU Enrollment: http://www.reflector.com/News/2018/09/07/ECU-trustees-get-discouraging-student-enrollment-report-from-provost.html

 

 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kermit said:

Phil is close enough to retirement that I don't really think the prospect of getting fired will motivate him.

It is a very unsettled time for the UNC system at the moment. Last year saw significant unexpected enrollment declines at ECU (this caused a $20 million budget gap). Based on emails from admin over the past month, UNCC is now _very_ concerned about enrollment declines for this year's entering class (new freshman, transfers and new grad students). The mass shooting was not mentioned in this context, but I do have some suspicions it may be playing a role in UNCC enrollment declines as well.   While declines are not unexpected (the demographics of the post- millennial generation are awful for higher ed), they are a huge surprise to the UNC system  since every level of administration thought low tuition costs would win the day (and smaller private schools would feel the brunt of the demographic impact). Since UNCC has been on an expansion footing for so long, it is really going to be whipsawed if enrollment declines materialize.

Now that the Board of Governors has multiple data points suggesting that the downturn may be real for most of the system I would not expect to see any new or expanded programs approved until enrollments stabilize. This is doubly true for law schools which have been having some significant enrollment struggles in the post-recession era.

I can't help but think the super low unemployment is hurting a little too.  Do you know how trade schools, and community colleges are doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Windsurfer said:

I can't help but think the super low unemployment is hurting a little too.  Do you know how trade schools, and community colleges are doing?

I don't. But in the past strong economies have impacted graduate school enrollments more than undergraduate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

As a UNC Charlotte alum I think they should pursue a law school.  Raleigh has Campbell University school of Law and of course Duke and Chapel Hill and Winston all have law schools.  Charlotte needs a local school as the county in the state with the 2nd most attorneys and we used to be #1 now Wake County holds that title. 

Even Greensboro has a law school (Elon's). Charlotte absolutely needs one

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kermit said:

 

Its currently is a very unsettled time for the UNC system. Last year saw significant unexpected enrollment declines at ECU (this caused a $20 million budget gap and a hiring freeze). Based on emails from admin over the past month, UNCC is now _very_ concerned about enrollment declines for this year's entering class (new freshman, transfers and new grad students). The mass shooting was not mentioned in this context, but I do have some suspicions it may be playing a role in UNCC enrollment declines as well.   

Oddly on multiple points...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/virginia-tech-defer-admission-over-enrollment-1441857%3famp=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.