The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

• 1 month later...

Medical school by Wake Forest in Charlotte is still moving forward.  it does seem like their is concern (in W-S)  this medical school branch will take away from the main campus in Winston but that is highly doubtful.  This is really a satellite campus that will grow on its up.  I do think many of the teaching faculty will come from WS and work here a few days a week until the faculty grows in Charlotte.

Very exciting for Charlotte and for Wake.

https://www.journalnow.com/business/wake-forest-baptist-medical-center-s-innovation-quarter-facilities-impress/article_dea12805-7e6d-5036-b146-04ec1bcd9129.html

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Medical school by Wake Forest in Charlotte is still moving forward.  it does seem like their is concern (in W-S)  this medical school branch will take away from the main campus in Winston but that is highly doubtful.  This is really a satellite campus that will grow on its up.  I do think many of the teaching faculty will come from WS and work here a few days a week until the faculty grows in Charlotte.

Very exciting for Charlotte and for Wake.

https://www.journalnow.com/business/wake-forest-baptist-medical-center-s-innovation-quarter-facilities-impress/article_dea12805-7e6d-5036-b146-04ec1bcd9129.html

My wife's medical school was expanding to a new campus while she was in school.  It didn't effect her experience much. There were a few teachers that worked at both locations, but most professors also have other medical jobs so just going away a few days a week isn't very practical.

Also, the article makes me wonder if Atrium did any research about the Wake system at all. They never went to see the facilities? I'm hoping the 'this place is amazing' lines are just standard and not that they had no idea what they were actually getting in to.

Medical school here in Charlotte will be good.  Charlotte residencies are already a hidden gem in my opinion and placing a medical school here should in theory help increase the quality of the residents here as well, assuming the school can generate a good name for itself.

I think this was a big group tour with lots of Atrium people not just a few top execs and I am sure they had seen it before.  I can't tell you how big this will be for Charlotte once this established a campus and forever the UNC system will regret this me thinks.    But I am happy as Wake Forest is a great institution to partner with as one of the most selective med schools in the country.   Now how about a Wake Law secondary campus in Charlotte too? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The difference between private schools and public schools is always stark. Private schools have generous landscape, well tended, screened parking areas, art in public building spaces, better furniture, just all the details that mean it was well above low bid. Meant to communicate that the cost is worth the experience. Public institutions tend to crowd their buildings more, consider the intense use they must anticipate in the landscaping and furnishings. Cost per student is the driving force in the plan and it is apparent.

I do not mean to say one is right, or better, just that dropped blindfolded onto a campus I, and likely each of you, could tell in a minute if it was public or private, regardless of the size of the campus.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mpretori said:

The guy made a rap video saying they should let him in because he is Korean. What a joke and makes those who worked hard to get into college as a joke.

why are you assuming he didn't work hard? the video shows an impressive thoughtfulness in production quality, style, and writing. There are college graduates that would be lucky to have half that innate talent.

• Like 3

Just now, Blue_Devil said:

It looked pretty creative to me.... But you know, to get into a top tier university, you have to be pretty creative now, because these days everyone and their grandmother has a 5.0 and 1400+ on the SAT. 

Something like this made that kid stand out and separated him from every other kid with high test scores and grades with a letter from their CEO/Senator/8xalumni parent. 

I think he worked pretty hard. 

Until he enters the real word and thinks he can rap himself through a job interview. College's need to toughen up and not baby people. This is real life, not a Instagram popularity contest.

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

The guy made a rap video saying they should let him in because he is Korean. What a joke and makes those who worked hard to get into college as a joke.

Not sure why I’m taking the bait but that’s not at all what he said. Just because the guy is proud to be Korean (and Southern) doesn’t mean he’s asking for special consideration. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Ok boomer

Lol far from it. 

6 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Not sure why I’m taking the bait but that’s not at all what he said. Just because the guy is proud to be Korean (and Southern) doesn’t mean he’s asking for special consideration. 

Yes he did. He said they should accept him because of that. He's a joke. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I think the fact that he's even still under consideration at Harvard shows he knows how to be an academic success. The rap video shows tenacity and out of the box thinking. He will be a success no matter where he goes.

I rather have someone who lists their achievements and justify their worth for getting into college. Maybe he wants to be a art major, which is fine. But if he thinks he can pull this stunt for a stem interview, he's going to face multiple rejections and it's because the college babied him.

Edited by mpretori