The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

I support this young man making this rap video. He is trying something different. At least he and his parents are trying to bribe their way into him getting a higher education ( hopefully not at least).  It takes talent to do something like this. Even if he doesn't get into Harvard it another top tier school, he'll still have success with how creative he is. Being able to think outside of the box is what makes you successful in a career, regardless of what others may think.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

03/11/2020  -  The University of North Carolina at Charlotte & Davidson College

This morning, NPR  (WFAE 90.7 FM)  announced that the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Davidson College are making plans to suspend in-person classes due to the coronavirus. 

Link: https://www.wbtv.com/2020/03/10/charlotte-area-colleges-planning-now-possibly-hold-classes-online-due-covid-/

Image result for image for unc charlotte

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

03/10/2020  -  Duke University

The university in Durham, North Carolina, suspended in-person classes immediately, officials said in a notice sent to students Tuesday night.  Spring break for undergraduates has been extended until March 22 so people can prepare for online classes.  Those who are out of town for spring break have been told they should not return to campus.

Image result for image of duke university

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, QCxpat said:

03/11/2020  -  The University of North Carolina at Charlotte & Davidson College

This morning, NPR  (WFAE 90.7 FM)  announced that the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and Davidson College are making plans to suspend in-person classes due to the coronavirus. 

Link: https://www.wbtv.com/2020/03/10/charlotte-area-colleges-planning-now-possibly-hold-classes-online-due-covid-/

Image result for image for unc charlotte

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

03/10/2020  -  Duke University

The university in Durham, North Carolina, suspended in-person classes immediately, officials said in a notice sent to students Tuesday night.  Spring break for undergraduates has been extended until March 22 so people can prepare for online classes.  Those who are out of town for spring break have been told they should not return to campus.

Image result for image of duke university

Just talked to my cousin who is a student at Charlotte. She stated that the school sent out an email yesterday saying they would make a decision today about classes. 

Also, I’m at State, we are on spring break this week but I have not received any updated info about any change in classes. 

Edited by Popsickle
Corrected from have to have not
  • Thanks 1

I go to UNCC.  One of my professors told me yesterday that one of her students is in quarantine, and that she is moving some quizzes and other in-class activities online in case the university decides to go that route.  One of my Monday classes was cancelled, supposedly for an unrelated reason as the professor noted that we are still scheduled to have class this coming Monday.

As of now, nothing new has been sent out.  The UNC system has set up a Coronavirus Coordinating Group and asked each chancellor not to make a decision until after the coordinating group's meeting today.  I had not seen or heard that UNCC was planning on making a decision today.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

I go to UNCC.  One of my professors told me yesterday that one of her students is in quarantine, and that she is moving some quizzes and other in-class activities online in case the university decides to go that route.  One of my Monday classes was cancelled, supposedly for an unrelated reason as the professor noted that we are still scheduled to have class this coming Monday.

As of now, nothing new has been sent out.  The UNC system has set up a Coronavirus Coordinating Group and asked each chancellor not to make a decision until after the coordinating group's meeting today.  I had not seen or heard that UNCC was planning on making a decision today.

Does not look like the coordinating group is the final say. State just expanded spring break, all classes are now online. 

Edit. Probably let each Chancellor make their own decision. I would imagine. 

Edited by Popsickle

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Jaheda said:

Amazing University

Amazing only if you are enthralled by a campus full of New York suburbanites who weren't smart enough to get into Princeton.

[apologies for the Quarantine crank  -- Go Heels !(???)!]

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I would prefer a downvote for someone who uses this forum to advertise for the site where he buys his assignments for his college courses. His principles are infected if he himself is not.

This post by Jaheda cannot be in keeping with the spirit of this forum.

Yah, that should be banned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

What s the demographic trend you mention?

Since 2011, college enrollment in the United States has declined -11%. Less people are choosing to go to college and the next co-hort of people to attend college is smaller in size. High school graduates are flat or declining in many areas. The new chancellor has experience in Ohio, which is at the forefront of the demographic decline. North Carolina should peak around 2025 and then begin a decline in high school graduates. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 4

UNCC just announced its new hire for the Dean of the College of Engineering. He is a renowned biomedical engineer (most recently from U Louisville) who appears to have a specialty in Electromechanical medical devices. Its a long shot, but if he were able to build a biomed expertise at the school then engineering school links to the WFU med school could be interesting. Devices would also be a nice complement to WFU’s existing focus on regenerative medicine. 

(as an aside, they way the state budget is likely to look for the next decade(?) as we work through 20% unemployment, I think Charlotte lucked out that the UNC system dropped to ball on the local med school and WFU jumped into the void)

Dear colleagues,

Please join me in welcoming Robert Keynton as Dean of The William States Lee College of Engineering beginning early August 2020. Keynton joins us from the University of Louisville where he is Interim Executive Vice President for Research & Innovation and professor and Lutz Endowed Chair of Biomechanical Devices in the Department of Bioengineering at the Speed School of Engineering. 

1px.png 1px.png
ff17668cfc4de8ae9643e706987c93ab.jpeg
1px.png
1px.png

He led the creation of the Speed School of Engineering bioengineering department and its associated curriculum and was successful in realizing the vision to achieve national recognition of the bioengineering program by being named a Wallace H. Coulter Foundation Translational Partner.

Keynton’s area of expertise is development of biomedical micro-electromechanical systems (BioMEMS) and cardiovascular mechanics, the development of micro Total Analysis Systems (uTAS), experimental and computational microfluidics, acoustic transducer design and fabrication, and experimental fluid mechanics. 

Keynton is an elected fellow in the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), and the National Academy of Inventors (NAI). He received his B.S. in Engineering Science and Mechanics from the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and his master’s degree and Ph.D. in biomedical engineering from the University of Akron.  

UNC Charlotte has sought an experienced administrator, researcher and mentor who is innovative in cross-disciplinary and inter-institutional endeavors to lead our well-regarded College of Engineering. We believe Robert Keynton is that leader and we welcome him warmly as UNC Charlotte enters its next chapter as Charlotte’s urban research university.

Sincerely,

1px.png
1px.png
0cac7076a7b189ad7c2d6efe4702ad7e.jpeg
1px.png
1px.png

Joan F. Lorden

Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

I believe the Provost is retiring next year, her replacement will do more to shape the research vs. teaching tone of the university more than any other major hire. That said, I don’t think the money is (or has been for 10 years) in the budget to attract new research stars to any UNC institution. I personally know two -very- well respected scholars who turned down different endowed positions at Chapel Hill in the past three years  out of concern for the direction of the system.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3