Favorite City

I can't speak for Philly (never really spent any time there) but... when were you last in Pittsburgh? It's definitely not dumpy. I can only guess that you were either here a long time ago or you just saw the wrong part of the city (every city has good and bad areas after all).

I really wish people would refrain from saying things like that. If you don't like a place then just let it go, why go around insulting it?

G, I missed this as well . . . I too am interested what this experience is based on. Philly is also a great city as well. Very puzzled on this one.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides Louisville I would say its a close toss-up between Lexington and Cincinnati. Lexington has an awesome downtown and Cincinnnati is a perfect city to spend a weekend. Both of these cities are close to home too. I am going to Lexington tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing the new devolpment downtown.

• 1 month later...

as far as big cities go, i really like Detroit, its a fun place to go for the day, catch a baseball game visit the restaurants in the Greektown neighborhood, go for a walk by the river, quite a bit of stuff to do.

and as for small/midsize cities ,i like Daytona Beach, Florida , Traverse City, Michigan , and Bay City, Michigan(although i havent spent much time in it)

1. San Francisco

2. Berlin, Germany

3. New York

4. Rome, Italy

5. Charleston, SC

San Francisco...cause the living is easy, diverse, fun, high salaries, excellent weather, close to beaches, nature, mountains...BERLIN...cause I love the German people & its culture...and esp. Berlin's fascinating history...NY...cause it's so tall and handsome and never sleeps...ROME...the only city that ever made me cry upon entering by train...CHARLESTON...cause it represents home & the state I was born.

as far as big cities go, i really like Detroit, its a fun place to go for the day, catch a baseball game visit the restaurants in the Greektown neighborhood, go for a walk by the river, quite a bit of stuff to do.

and as for small/midsize cities ,i like Daytona Beach, Florida , Traverse City, Michigan , and Bay City, Michigan(although i havent spent much time in it)

You are brave for going for a walk in Detroit

have you even been there? Downtown Detroit isnt bad at all.

Does that look like a bad place to walk?

160553598_d62012e051_b.jpg

actually, im headed down to Detroit tomorrow night, ill have to make sure i go for a nice long walk. Taking a few pics on the way.

...looks safe, walkable to me...Then I wouldn't recommend tourists walk through San Francisco's downtown TENDERLOIN after dark...unless you don't mind all the drug & hooker trade, "i-don't-know-what-it-is", etc....however, there are some good theatres in the Tenderloin like "The Exit"; and then there's "The Warfield"...and a good Italian restaurant I like to go to called "Original Joe's" on Taylor near Eddy...

...looks safe, walkable to me...Then I wouldn't recommend tourists walk through San Francisco's downtown TENDERLOIN after dark...unless you don't mind all the drug & hooker trade, "i-don't-know-what-it-is", etc....however, there are some good theatres in the Tenderloin like "The Exit"; and then there's "The Warfield"...and a good Italian restaurant I like to go to called "Original Joe's" on Taylor near Eddy...

Heh, yeah, my brother lives on what he tells me is the border region of the Tenderloin. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, but unfortunately hardly spent any time in SF and don't have a real good feel for the city. Interesting stuff he sees in his alley...like the women going in and out of the mosque from the side door (front door is reserved for the men), and the needle exchange that's there on Thursdays. Anyway, yeah, salaries are high there, but the cost of living and taxes are, too, so you really don't come out ahead at all.

• 3 months later...

The Tenderloin in SF really isn't that bad. I stayed in a hotel there once.

My favorite US cities outside NNJ/NY are:

Philly

Boston

Baltimore

San Fran

Chicago

Washington

My favorite Int'l cities are:

Amsterdam

Montreal

Barcelona

Berlin