Favorite City

Ok, I can't possibly make a subjective comment here, so I'll give some research (which will be obviously biased too, with limited subjects, and subjective tastes).

Travel and Leisure's Top 10 US and Canadian Cities

Top 10 Cities U.S. and Canada

Rank Name 2006 Score

1 New York 84.75

2 San Francisco 84.29

3 Chicago 82.52

4 Charleston, South Carolina 82.48

5 Santa Fe 82.06

6 Vancouver 81.45

7 Quebec City 80.98

8 Victoria, British Columbia 79.92

9 Montreal 79.46

10 Seattle 79.05

Top 10 Cities Overall

Rank Name 2006 Score

1 Florence 87.09

2 Rome 86.15

3 Bangkok 86.11

4 Sydney 85.94

5 Chiang Mai, Thailand 85.62

6 Cape Town 85.39

7 Buenos Aires 85.03

8 New York 84.75

9 Beirut 84.38

10 San Francisco 84.29

Other lists I googled in 0.06 seconds:

City Mayors website

Traveler's Digest (probably not research-oriented)

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Detroit,

I live 1,100 miles away from it, i've never been there and i'm obsessed with it. Sure it's portrayed as a craphole, but there is so much history there, they way it so instantly became the heart of Americas Economy, and it's subsequent fall from grace for the past 60 years. It has the best collection of neo-gothic architecture from the 30's. Not to mention the war between the city, and it's arrogant, affluent suburbs. I know Detroit is portrayed as the red headed step child of American cities in media outlets, but cheer up Detroit! Someone from outside Michigan loves you too ;)

I've been to Detroit and trust me, the portrayal is justified. As good as the architecture is (or whats left of it), the city is just dead and depressing. Downtown is nicer than most would imagine but the city generally sucks. Royal Oak is pretty much the Pinnacle of metro Detroit.

Archived