Favorite City

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Does it have to be a huge city?

I like Fredericksburg second to Richmond. It brings back memories of college there and it's a nice, friendly walkable, historic little city. The only problem I have is its suburban traffic... esssssssh!

I've only been exposed to the Philly train station so I can't say but Pittsburgh is not a dump by any means.

I can't remember if I already posted in this thread so I'm going to post again...if I have already posted I wonder if my cities will be different...haha.

I live in the NW which is home. I am currently in Portland and was in Seattle and will likely be in Seattle again so I consider both 'my cities' and will refrain from listing them.

Cities I've lived in:

NYC

Pittsburgh

Los Angeles

Cities I've been to more than once:

San Francisco

Vancouver

Toronto

Cities I've never been to but like anyway:

Boston

DC(I have been to DC but only a sprint through the train station so it doesn't count)

Montreal

Chicago is my favorite. I've been there twice and am enamored of the place. I would call it a more accessible version of NYC. NYC also scores high on my list, but it's a tad bit overwhelming.

I'd avoid the LA area (dirty, pretentious, expensive, awful place). The culture is cool though, and as a car guy myself I can't deny that that's the center of the action. As much as I dislike it there, I may yet end up living there someday.

San Francisco I haven't made up my mind yet. We used to live near there so it was always just...there. It was never anything special to us aside from the wacky politics. Now that I'm removed from the area, I'd like to go back sometime as a tourist.

1. Detroit -grew up near there, spent lots of my childhood there, LOVE the city...Grit, toughness, uniqueness, personality like you can only find in our great American 'rust belt' cities. It's really sad how the city has been beaten down considering it's one of the 2 most important cities in the History of America. But that's alright, Detroit will be back someday!

2. Austin - just a fun place to be. Great people, awesome culture, lots of fun

3. Chicago - See both of the above

4. Savannah - Really neat one-of-a kind city. Unlike most of the South they have embraced and held onto their past and history and not let it be destroyed by Corporate America.

5. Boston - Like Detroit and Savannah. Tons of history, have done a great job retaining that, biggest drawback, so expensive and I'm afraid they are going to let the outer areas be developed like the sunbelt cities...Big box store on top of big box store, develope any and every thing in site...That will really kill the character of Boston

Worst cities:

1. Any 'Sunbelt'/'Western' high-growth, top ten for business city, i.e. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc.

My favorite city is Chicago. It's got the blend of just about everything you could want in a city. I am royally pissed that Daly got rid of the airport in downtown, (especially the ridiculous way he did it) but the city is huge with everything you could ever want to do in it. It's also possible to drive through Chicago, and people actually for the most part know how to stay in the lines and follow regular traffic rules. It's also relatively safe and even friendly. The lake of course adds a whole lot to the city. A midwestern city with the feel of the coast. It makes for dramatic skyline views as well.

I am royally pissed that Daly got rid of the airport in downtown, (especially the ridiculous way he did it)

I second that. It's like something out of a bad book. If I'd read it in some novel, I'd have thought to myself "no waaaay, nobody could get away with something like that...". Gotta love those Daleys...not.

My favorite cities are:

Pittsburg, Kansas

Pittsburg, California

Pittsburg, Oklahoma

Pittsburg, Florida

Pittsburg, Ontario

oh and East Pittsburgh, West Pittsburgh and Pittsburg Pennsylvania! :P

Would highly recommend staying out of: Pittsburgh and Philadelphia

They're pretty dumpy cities.

I can't speak for Philly (never really spent any time there) but... when were you last in Pittsburgh? It's definitely not dumpy. I can only guess that you were either here a long time ago or you just saw the wrong part of the city (every city has good and bad areas after all).

I really wish people would refrain from saying things like that. If you don't like a place then just let it go, why go around insulting it?

Portland

San Diego

San Francisco

Charleston

Savannah

New Orleans

New York City

... I'll leave Boulder off the list due to obvious partiality :)

As for the popular southeastern choices Atlanta & Charlotte, they certainly make sense due to economy, housing, cost of living & other factors that make them a sensible living choice. Other than that - along with Dallas, Miami, Houston & Phoenix they aren't cities I would ever consider to be inspiring or spawn an appreciation of design. But nothing against them - those cities make perfect sense for those that are working up to something greater or at least in most southerner's cases - when you want to continue to live in the south & be near family.

Archived