Bratislava

Luxembourg

Kuala Lumpur

Santiago

Buenos Aires

Zurich

My favs:

US

1. San Francisco, the hills, vibe, achitecture.

2. Boston, so easy to navigate, doesnt feel like a big city, reminds me of Europe.

3. Portland, love the transit and density. Urbnanism done right!

4. Seattle, Natural beauty and lively downtown.

Europe:

1. Ljubjlana, Slovenia, small but awesome, vibrant central core.

2. Prague, architectural marvel, tourist hell!

3. Paris, City of lights, I love Paris at dusk.

4. Amsterdam, architecture and canals

5. Dubrovnik, Croatia, ancient walled city made of white marble/stone.

Australia:

1. Sydney, Modern, excellent transit, great people.

• 1 month later...
Detroit,

I live 1,100 miles away from it, i've never been there and i'm obsessed with it. Sure it's portrayed as a craphole, but there is so much history there, they way it so instantly became the heart of Americas Economy, and it's subsequent fall from grace for the past 60 years. It has the best collection of neo-gothic architecture from the 30's. Not to mention the war between the city, and it's arrogant, affluent suburbs. I know Detroit is portrayed as the red headed step child of American cities in media outlets, but cheer up Detroit! Someone from outside Michigan loves you too ;)

have you even been there? Downtown Detroit isnt bad at all.

Does that look like a bad place to walk?

160553598_d62012e051_b.jpg

actually, im headed down to Detroit tomorrow night, ill have to make sure i go for a nice long walk. Taking a few pics on the way.

Outside of where I live now (Charlotte area), I would have to say for the U.S.

1. San Diego, CA-best weather in the country, very clean, growing rapidly but seems to be doing a lot of DT development, plus great scenery (Mountains & Ocean included :thumbsup: )

2. Charleston, SC-I love the history, and love going to he beach.

3. New Orleans, LA-Katrina has dropped it in my book, but still a fantastic city, that will rebuild)

4. Miami, FL-again, beaches, and never ending nightlife.

5. Columbus, OH-the only reason I moved away was the cold. I loved every other part of living there except for snow in April. Samething w/ Cleveland, though that city is losing pop. and some parts are just too scary to be in.

I've only been to 3 foreign cities: Rome, Italy: London, England: and Dublin, Ireland.

I just didn't like the cramped feel of the cities. I like my space, so I wouldn't want to live in any of these places, but I did enjoy visiting them.

After seeing pictures of Dubai on this board, and hearing what is coming down the pipe there, I'd love to visit there in about 10 years. It sounds like that will be a true world class city, and will be better than any other city on earth.

• 5 weeks later...

A toss up between Boston & New York, between the two you have the country's best architecture, museums, library and entertainment, I feel about 80% of the nations culture resides in these cities. On a smaller scale New Haven, as you can see I'm overly provincial.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A short post this time.

U.S. cities:

Chicago

San Francisco

Long Beach, Calif. (estimated 2005 population: 474,014; great pics at Skyscraper City of new Long Beach developments)

San Diego (despite its sprawl tendencies and financial scandals; pluses include a large population of highly educated people, LGBT-friendliness, many active arts organizations, excellent restaurants, an incredible Zoo, very good public transit (unlike L.A.), and some of the best weather in the U.S.

Smaller U.S. areas:

Southwestern Vermont

Coastal Maine

Palm Springs, Calif.

• 5 weeks later...

Well if I could wave a magic wand and live anywhere, it'd probably be London. (NYC would be a close second.)

As far as smaller cities...I'd pick something with a little bit of "adventure" and uniqueness: Venice, Italy. No cars, walking everywhere is easily done...or take a boat. Granted there are bad sides to it...flooding, and sinking. LOL But if there's a city on this planet that is more different than any other, it's Venice. You might as well be on another planet. ;)

Archived