I-485 Development (Prosperity Village, Riverbend, Crosswind, etc)

Third Strike

Just south of 485 on Carowinds owned property but in NC a Springhill Suites by Marriott is proposed.  Also I noticed the Springhill Suites is now underway at Whitehall Corporate Park. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/10/31/development-planned-for-swath-of-land-near.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-10-31&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1509478350&j=79090371

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is a good reuse of an old grocery store and great addition to the Highland Creek and Prosperity village area a new Studio Movie Grille. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article182549181.html#emlnl=Business_Newsletter

That's a cute area, this could be a great addition, even though SMG has the worst service and quality of all the theaters now ^_^

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s a major new development coming to east Charlotte, at I-485 and Albemarle Road. There will be 350 apartments, 75 single-family houses, and 45k square feet of retail and offices.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/175-190/2017-180 site plan.pdf

Edited by Third Strike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just south of I-485 and just north of the state line Carowinds to develop a hotel according to Business Journal article.  

""The amusement park confirmed it will begin construction on a five-floor, 130-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott hotel this spring on the northeast corner of Carowinds. The Charlotte Business Journal previously reported that the 24.2-acre parcel at 14523 Carowinds Blvd., which Carowinds rezoned last year, was pegged for a SpringHill Suites hotel.""

This is on the vacant land north of the parking lot but just inside NC.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/12/carowinds-plans-development-on-northeast-side-of.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-02-12&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1518468385&j=79960671

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Just south of I-485 and just north of the state line Carowinds to develop a hotel according to Business Journal article.  

""The amusement park confirmed it will begin construction on a five-floor, 130-room SpringHill Suites by Marriott hotel this spring on the northeast corner of Carowinds. The Charlotte Business Journal previously reported that the 24.2-acre parcel at 14523 Carowinds Blvd., which Carowinds rezoned last year, was pegged for a SpringHill Suites hotel.""

This is on the vacant land north of the parking lot but just inside NC.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/12/carowinds-plans-development-on-northeast-side-of.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-02-12&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1518468385&j=79960671

Would have rather them build their own hotel rather than use a flag considering they will actually own the hotel. 

^^^ Unfortunately Carowinds or Cedar Fair does not have Disney's cachet so having a hotel with a brand name helps them in the off season which is vitally important to the success of this hotel. 

But Carowinds is doing well these days I think I heard they have 2 million guests last year a record.  

• Like 2

As a very pro-transit person who is going to Carowinds with small children I can guarantee you I would rather drive and pay to park. After hours and hours in there under the hot sun the last thing I would want to do is wait around for a train. And knowing the number of families with small kids that go to the park and feel the same way I do I bet you could easily rule out a couple hundred thousand potential rail riders. 

• Like 2

Should also take into account that many people that go to Carowinds will sometimes bring a change of clothes and like to bring a cooler of food because food at the park is so expensive.  Don't think you would want to carry all of that on LRT, also wouldn't want to ride LRT after a long day of walking around in summer heat and most likely wet from many of the rides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Should also take into account that many people that go to Carowinds will sometimes bring a change of clothes and like to bring a cooler of food because food at the park is so expensive.  Don't think you would want to carry all of that on LRT, also wouldn't want to ride LRT after a long day of walking around in summer heat and most likely wet from many of the rides. 

That's not the target market of the rail users anyway. 

Employees, millennials, and in town families that don't currently use Carowinds could expand ridership on off times. Moving the line just a little south of Pineville, adds a huge market of suburban York County, SC. If they ever want a hope of a new Panthers stadium, Blue line would need some SC $ to be extended. 

10 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

That's not the target market of the rail users anyway. 

Employees, millennials, and in town families that don't currently use Carowinds could expand ridership on off times. Moving the line just a little south of Pineville, adds a huge market of suburban York County, SC. If they ever want a hope of a new Panthers stadium, Blue line would need some SC $ to be extended. 

Yeah, I agree with you about the target market and that expanding the Blue Line to Pineville and points south could be beneficial, I was just saying that a station strictly for Carowinds would not be smart.

1 hour ago, jtmonk said:

*Ride back soaking wet (from sweat or the water park) most likely to a park and ride station and then drive home. 

Not sure how many families are convinetly located along light rail where they could just walk to the station. 

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion this is the best looking suburban office building proposed hope they get it built up at Riverbend.  It would front I-485 at exit 16 at NC 16 and 485. Walking distance to new Corning HQ  https://gallery.mailchimp.com/74555520dedad13772facd41a/files/02597084-4055-46ee-ac3d-2707c0dab736/The_Current.pdf

• Like 3

^^^ Yes there is a new Hilton Garden Inn opening soon at Waverly and Lincoln Harris has a hotel lined up for Rea Farms Village across the street.  Plus a new hotel rising at Rea Rd across from Stonecrest, the Carowinds ones you mentioned,  new hotel forget brand at I-77 and Harris Blvd where they tore down a hotel that had construction problems.   All of these rooms add up and this increases the chances of us getting a major event like the RNC or anything else for that matter.  Charlotte is better suited for a political convention now than in 2012 with even more hotel rooms and new LYNX line. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Yes there is a new Hilton Garden Inn opening soon at Waverly and Lincoln Harris has a hotel lined up for Rea Farms Village across the street.  Plus a new hotel rising at Rea Rd across from Stonecrest, the Carowinds ones you mentioned,  new hotel forget brand at I-77 and Harris Blvd where they tore down a hotel that had construction problems.   All of these rooms add up and this increases the chances of us getting a major event like the RNC or anything else for that matter.  Charlotte is better suited for a political convention now than in 2012 with even more hotel rooms and new LYNX line. 

The hotel you mention across from Stonecrest. Is that the old Applebees location?

• Like 1

^^ Yes I think it is they are squeezing it into that lot.  I saw it underway last week when driving down to Blakeney. It went under a rezoning here it is it is a Home 2 Suites by Hilton (which I just heard is the fastest growing Hilton brand ever) 

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/001-016/2017-005 approved site plan.pdf

Plus I forgot to mention another hotel at Ayrsley the new Tru by Hilton is under construction too. 

Heres the new 4 story corporate headquarters building of CPI and they can store a lot of Luke K. gnomes in there.  4 stories 120,000 sq ft. Right at Arrowood and 485 

IMG_6205.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1