I-485 Development (Prosperity Village, Riverbend, Crosswind, etc)

Third Strike

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Corning selects site for new HQ.  This is good news for the Riverbend Village development at I-485 and Hwy 16 in the Mtn Island Lake area. Good corporate jobs and should really ignite the development of that project. I have heard they have a grocery store anchor, a movie theater anchor and some smaller retailers signed up already. http://wfae.org/post/corning-optical-picks-site-i-485-38m-hq

76k SF Harris Teeter (relo) & Fuel, theater & Petsmart have signed leases so far as anchors. Typical shop tenants too... Mattress Firm, Dunkin, Jersey Mikes, etc. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 6/22/2016 at 2:51 PM, KJHburg said:

Corning selects site for new HQ.  This is good news for the Riverbend Village development at I-485 and Hwy 16 in the Mtn Island Lake area. Good corporate jobs and should really ignite the development of that project. I have heard they have a grocery store anchor, a movie theater anchor and some smaller retailers signed up already. http://wfae.org/post/corning-optical-picks-site-i-485-38m-hq

We all talked about this a while back Harris Teeter will have a mega sized 76,000 sq ft store plus gas station at the new Riverbend development where Corning is going. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/08/grocer-buys-land-to-anchor-retail-portion-of.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter   You will see another mega sized Harris Teeter at Lincoln Harris's Rea Farms off Providence and 485 too. Kroger is really driving this and they have many huge stores and even the Kroger on Hilton Head Island is 90,000 sq ft with gas station. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Site work beginning on the new 5 story One Silver Crescent bldg that will be the home of the Jen Weld headquarters in Arysley.  On other note the new Top Golf facility is looking great should open in the new year. (couldnt get a good picture unless I pulled off 485)  Top Golf will be a big regional draw. 

CAM07287.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Site work beginning on the new 5 story One Silver Crescent bldg that will be the home of the Jen Weld headquarters in Arysley.  On other note the new Top Golf facility is looking great should open in the new year. (couldnt get a good picture unless I pulled off 485)  Top Golf will be a big regional draw. 

Circumstances took me to the Top Golf in Atlanta a few days ago. I hated it so much because I had fun.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 4:23 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Neato, not too shabby.

As for the Prosperity Village area, I work around there, and it is such a fascinating example of half-well-done urbanism with a suburban twist. So much parallel parking where it doesn't matter, and no parallel parking where it does. So many little buildings with pretty good sidewalk presence right next to a sea of parking lots for Harris Teeters, etc. Eh, c'est la vie.

The idea was to set up the street network for what it needs to be in the future (which is hopefully going to be walkable semi-urban). Eventually development will fill in the infrastructure gaps that the public didn't fund.

23 hours ago, Spartan said:

The idea was to set up the street network for what it needs to be in the future (which is hopefully going to be walkable semi-urban). Eventually development will fill in the infrastructure gaps that the public didn't fund.

It's a good point, and in the idea of incremental growth it's completely true, however I'm concerned it will hardly happen. Century at Highland Creek Apartments are very spread out, and regarding the respective Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo, and Publix shopping centers, I've never once seen those traditional strip parking lots get filled in with anything. I want to be hopeful but I'm finding it difficult. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

43 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

It's a good point, and in the idea of incremental growth it's completely true, however I'm concerned it will hardly happen. Century at Highland Creek Apartments are very spread out, and regarding the respective Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo, and Publix shopping centers, I've never once seen those traditional strip parking lots get filled in with anything. I want to be hopeful but I'm finding it difficult. 

That's because land has always been plentiful and cheap around here. As desirable / cheap land goes away, redevelopment of underutilized parking lots and outparcels makes more sense.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2016 at 4:24 PM, KJHburg said:

Land grading at the Riverbend site home of the new Corning Optical HQ and new relocated Harris Teeter and other shops. Plus apartments. Look for the uptown skyline peaking over the horizon.

IMG_9461.jpg

Just an interesting observation.....I wonder why is this called Riverbend when they are no where near the Catawba?

IMHO, a more fitting location (3 minutes drive west of 485) would have been the riverfront property Forsite has for sale between ReVenture Park and Catawba River Plantation just north of Mt Holly Rd. 

4 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Just an interesting observation.....I wonder why is this called Riverbend when they are no where near the Catawba?

IMHO, a more fitting location (3 minutes drive west of 485) would have been the riverfront property Forsite has for sale between ReVenture Park and Catawba River Plantation just north of Mt Holly Rd. 

Why is it called RiverBend when there is a newer neighborhood called RiverBend about 1 mile away off Rozzelles Ferry? Who knows the river does generally turn nearby but you have me. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 1:41 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

It's not going to happen overnight, but it has happened in other cities and will happen here eventually. The first wave of development will probably be the same suburban style BS that we're used to seeing along 485. As land becomes more of a premium, the market will exist for more moderate density and it will respond accordingly because it's still a desirable place to live. The City invested in the long term vision for Prosperity by building the street network out like they did. Urban development is just a painfully slow process.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the growth in Prosperity Village. Publix has opened, and the other small retail boxes are almost done. The NW arc (Benfield) has opened, and the apartments are under construction at Ridge & Prosperity Church. 5e5f3651b799942bb54deca02549eacd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

450,000 sq ft of new warehouse flex building to be started immediately off Sam Wilson I-85 and right by I-485.  These will eventually mean new jobs for the area. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/01/25/foundry-commercial-to-develop-1-1-million-square.html  The warehouse industrial market is not as sexy as new office towers but provides lots of good paying jobs around the region. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A new development has just been announced near Brookdale, on Rocky River Road, by the I-485 exit. Situated on the border between Mecklenburg and Cabarrus Counties.

It's called Farmington, by MPV Properties.

13069323_G.jpg

From the article from The Charlotte Observer: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article131005184.html

▪ 300 townhouses.

▪ 275 apartments.

▪ 120 units of “active senior” housing.

▪ A 120-room hotel.

▪ A 14-screen movie theater.

▪ A total of 200,000 square feet of retail space.

▪ A total of 160,000 square feet of office space, including medical offices.

I think this is a good change of pace in the development in the area (hundreds upon hundreds of single family homes on a half acre of land).

Edited by End_The_Sprawl

I would have probably put all of the townhomes on the Cabarrus County side and the senior living and apartments on the Meck side. Perhaps the split though will provide two tiers of townhome pricing and keep the senior living more expensive due to being away from the freeway. Townhomes attending Hickory Ridge High and the schools in Harrisburg for Cabarrus County Schools will probably fetch a pretty penny over CMS's Rocky Ridge High. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Just now, CLT2014 said:

I would have probably put all of the townhomes on the Cabarrus County side and the senior living and apartments on the Meck side. Perhaps the split though will provide two tiers of townhome pricing and keep the senior living more expensive due to being away from the freeway. Townhomes attending Hickory Ridge High and the schools in Harrisburg for Cabarrus County Schools would probably fetch a pretty penny over CMS's Rocky Ridge High. 

You are correct the townhomes on the Cabarrus side will sell more quickly at higher values. Harrisburg and Cabarrus county schools are sought after. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

You are correct the townhomes on the Cabarrus side will sell more quickly at higher values. Harrisburg and Cabarrus county schools are sought after. 

Not only that, but Hickory Ridge High (the closest high school) is already overcrowded. They probably had to negotiate just to be able to put that many townhomes on the Cabarrus side.

• 2 weeks later...

Prosperity Church area, apartments being built, right next to the new Publix and strip center. This is across from the Aldi, diagonally across from the Harris Teeter strip center.

Then the bottom photo is some other single-story development between the Aldi and the ABC store. Grateful it's right up on the street like that.

20170224_131454.jpg

20170224_131551.jpg

20170224_131611.jpg

20170224_131617.jpg

20170224_131619.jpg

20170224_131436.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Bryton in Huntersville right off 485 at Hwy 115 near the Northlake Auto Mall is getting lots of action now. Apartments open, townhomes by Ryan underway, SF houses by Lennar, more retail, Frankies Fun Center under construction behind Walmart store. The architecture of this mixed use community is good in my opinion. The Bojangles and McDonalds look great. The Count has done it again (Count Arco of American Asset Company) http://shopbryton.com/

CAM07614.jpg

CAM07615.jpg

CAM07616.jpg

• Like 3