I-485 Development (Prosperity Village, Riverbend, Crosswind, etc)

Third Strike

Steele Creek area, just past Ayrsley:

Mac's Speedshop is apparently building a third location?

It's strange seeing Mac's in a suburban setting (in a new building, no less) when their original location was semi-urban in an old building, and their second is in a semi-urban downtown in an old building.

20180322_172402.jpg

• Like 2

^^^ This has been there for a few years this Mac's location. They are either adding parking or more outside seating.  The parking lot is really small there.  There are 4 in Meck original on South Blvd, one in Matthews (newest one), one in Cornelius and this one in Steele Creek.   I have eaten at them all LOL 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ This has been there for a few years this Mac's location. They are either adding parking or more outside seating.  The parking lot is really small there.  There are 4 in Meck original on South Blvd, one in Matthews (newest one), one in Cornelius and this one in Steele Creek.   I have eaten at them all LOL 

Man I need get out more 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

Story on new Edison at  Arrowood office building being built on spec. 120.000 sq ft creative space.  Right by Maresk, Microsoft, Spectrum Cable campus.  Food truck parking. Tilt up wall construction used a lot in warehouse buildings but increasingly in suburban office buildings.  This type of construction was used at the Jen Weld corporate HQ around the corner at Ayrsley. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article209616044.html

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone talks about the 1000 room proposed hotel uptown meanwhile in the suburbs hotels are booming.  Here are just 3 of them.  1. Hampton Inn Berewick off NC 160 I-485 135 rooms   2. Solis at Berewick apartments   3. 120 room Residence by Marriott on Dixie River Rd by the outlets,   4./5.  Springhill Suites by Marriott in Whitehall Corporate Center off I-485 and Arrowood.  @J-Rob reports that the AC by Marriott is underway at Southpark. another new hotel going up at CityPark, another new hotel going by Northlake Mall at US 21 and Harris Blvd.   Plus a hotel in Rea Farms Village one just opened at Waverly the Hilton Garden Inn.   There are literally thousands of hotel rooms coming on line in Charlotte. 

Berewick is really looking good you should see it and eat some Smithfield's Chicken and Barbecue while  you are over there. 

IMG_9184.JPG

IMG_9185.JPG

IMG_9186.JPG

IMG_9187.JPG

IMG_9189.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is just inside 485 on the old Metrolina Fairgrounds site.  Metrolina Park is almost to several major distribution operations including 1-800-Contacts,  Tosca and Bonded Logistics.  Warehouses like these are popping up all over the area. 

""Metrolina Park is a 1.2 million-square-foot manufacturing and logistics park by Beacon Partners. It's located at the former Metrolina Tradeshow Expo site near Interstate 77 off of Sunset Road. The park is anchored by third-party logistics provide Bonded Logistics. Premium Vision, an affiliate of contact lens retailer 1-800 Contacts, also signed on late last year to open a Southeast distribution center at the park.""  from the Business Journal. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Steele Creek: (I couldn't find a topic for it)

I have a colleague who has a chance to work at a new garden apartment community on Arrowood, off S Tryon St, behind the Wal-Mart and Publix area (Whitehall). It is next to "Moody Lake", across from a couple nice looking subdivisions with decent values, adjacent to existing Whitehall Parc apartments.

My question: Is that area considered a "booming" suburb? I can't tell if it's part of "Steele Creek", or off in the hinterlands, or what. Do you think a brand new community would do well there? I know certain suburbs are considered "sure things" right now... Whitehall Parc seems to have high rents, so... But one never knows how the market will shift.

Also, "Olde Whitehall" I guess is an old farming community? #suburbanization

Whitehall New Apts.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.58.24 AM.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

^^^^ within walking distance to TopGolf.  I would call this area Whitehall which is the name for the shopping center, office park and was a huge tract of land owned by a Belk family member who developed it.    If you work in that area or along 77 or at the airport it is a great location.  Not too walkable but quick drive or even a bike ride to a lot of shopping and Ayrsely too.   Steele Creek to me is closer to Hwy 160 which is Steele Creek Rd and in the Berewick and Charlotte Premium Outlets area basically an exit and few miles away.  

• Like 2

On 7/19/2018 at 9:17 AM, KJHburg said:

^^^^ within walking distance to TopGolf.  I would call this area Whitehall which is the name for the shopping center, office park and was a huge tract of land owned by a Belk family member who developed it.    If you work in that area or along 77 or at the airport it is a great location.  Not too walkable but quick drive or even a bike ride to a lot of shopping and Ayrsely too.   Steele Creek to me is closer to Hwy 160 which is Steele Creek Rd and in the Berewick and Charlotte Premium Outlets area basically an exit and few miles away.  

^Hm! Great insight, thanks!

I drove around this area and if you keep going west on Arrowood, just over 485, just past Top Golf, you end up at Whitehall Corporate Park. Firstly, I had no idea this corporate park seems a step above your typical kind. I hate sprawl office parks as they will inevitably atrophy and fail, but this one seems to be doing well right now.

Second,  right on Arrowood it has a collection of small businesses that are heavy on the Southeast Asian offerings:

Sizzlewhich, a new concept of the local Waterbean Coffee franchise by owner Tony Vo, who is focusing on his grandmother's recipe for Ban Xeo, or "Sizzle Cakes" which he grew up enjoying. (I've had these types of cakes at Lang Vans; they should be amazing here!) Sizzlewhich Instagram

QC Tea Bar, a boba tea ("bubble" tea?) shop that also has food and creative hot/iced tea offerings.

Siam Garden Thai, seem like one of the best Thai places in the metro area. 

I recommend anyone with an afternoon free go check this strip mall out!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

down in El Pino aka Pineville and here is a new addition to CMC Pineville or Atrium Pineville hospital.  From this weekend.  And a new hotel unnamed brand behind BJs and the Sams Club near Carolina Place Mall.   There is a suburban hotel boom all over the metro area.   This hotel looks like a Hampton Inn but there was no sign on it. 

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Back roads up to Huntersville today drove through Bryton across from N Meck High school and north of 485.  Really coming together.  2 apartment complexes, townhomes, single family homes and new Frankies amusement center.  I thought I saw a small roller coaster but could not get close enough to confirm.   And the cabling tower at Southwire cable plant in Huntersville.   

Frankies article from Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/10/amusement-center-operator-purchases-18-6-acres-in.html

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On August 22, 2018 at 7:35 PM, KJHburg said:

Back roads up to Huntersville today drove through Bryton across from N Meck High school and north of 485.  Really coming together.  2 apartment complexes, townhomes, single family homes and new Frankies amusement center.  I thought I saw a small roller coaster but could not get close enough to confirm.   And the cabling tower at Southwire cable plant in Huntersville.   

Frankies article from Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/10/amusement-center-operator-purchases-18-6-acres-in.html

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

I've always wondered.. What is the tall concrete tower?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DavieNative said:

Looks like a cable manufacturing tower. How else you think they can run so much powerlines through Southend, to ruin all of our photos, without those wires stopping?

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, DavieNative said:

Southwire (formerly ABB) makes high voltage, underground electric power cable at their plant. The "extrusion tower" is the core component of the operation where the insulation layer cools around the cable. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DavieNative said:

31 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Southwire (formerly ABB) makes high voltage, underground electric power cable at their plant. The "extrusion tower" is the core component of the operation where the insulation layer cools around the cable. 

In all seriousness, I submitted this question to WFAE's FAQ City. While that seems like a good answer, I now want to see the inside of that tower with all the wire. 

• Like 1

As it was explained to me, ABB, now Southwire, makes products for ultra high voltage environments, among other products. Such products must have as perfect as possible insulation as the voltage will find and exploit a weakness. The technology of applying the insulation evenly and predictably to the wire or other apparatus while hanging straight using gravity was the ABB specialty.

• Like 1