I-485 Development (Prosperity Village, Riverbend, Crosswind, etc)

Third Strike

7 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

Value engineered. 

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Value engineer means to use cheaper materials, techniques, reduced cost design, less ornamentation, less of everything to reduce cost and have the final product appear less interesting than the published design. Moving from good to "good enough".

Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Now can you help me understand why you would say that? Looks like a nice building to me?

8 minutes ago, youngt2 said:

Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Now can you help me understand why you would say that? Looks like a nice building to me?

Rendering vs Reality... Often you will see lower quality materials substituted to reduce cost vs what is usually shown on initial renderings... there are numerous ways to reduce the overall cost of a project. 

Gensler13.jpg

Corning.JPG

Edited by UrbanCharlotte
  • Like 3

The problem too is how much embellishment that gets added to renderings that never can be lived up to.   We don't live in a permanent stage of sunset and shimmer and pedestrian magic. 

I'm sure Corning had to weight multiple factors including being directionally nearer to where their people already live, and the other manufacturing locations in Hickory/Newton etc.   

But NC16 & I-485 is a pretty terrible interchange for quality of service.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dubone said:

The problem too is how much embellishment that gets added to renderings that never can be lived up to.   We don't live in a permanent stage of sunset and shimmer and pedestrian magic. 

I'm sure Corning had to weight multiple factors including being directionally nearer to where their people already live, and the other manufacturing locations in Hickory/Newton etc.   

But NC16 & I-485 is a pretty terrible interchange for quality of service.   

They pitched it as allowing them to recruit younger tech talent. Lmao you think a bunch of millennials want to work out in Mountain Island? Personally I think it went, "well we can't recruit any young people to come work in Hickory so let's put it near Charlotte but still close enough for us to commute from our lake houses and hope for the best."

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

They pitched it as allowing them to recruit younger tech talent. Lmao you think a bunch of millennials want to work out in Mountain Island? Personally I think it went, "well we can't recruit any young people to come work in Hickory so let's put it near Charlotte but still close enough for us to commute from our lake houses and hope for the best."

The Executive Vice President that leads Corning Optical is actually over in Dilworth rather than near the lake. His mansion in Foxcroft is currently for sale and they have downsized to a luxury townhome in Dilworth. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

The Executive Vice President that leads Corning Optical is actually over in Dilworth rather than near the lake. His mansion in Foxcroft is currently for sale and they have downsized to a luxury townhome in Dilworth. 

Well looks like I was wrong on that one 

Actually lots of highway work are being done now just did not take a photo.

As for Corning they were moving their execs from Hickory to this area but also wanted retain as many employees as they could and still tap in the local Charlotte labor pool.  How is this location so different from a SouthPark or Ballantyne or even Fort Mill suburban location?  You can get from South End or NoDa much easier to this spot in the morning that Ballantyne or Fort Mill.  And note not all millenials want to live in intown many do live in the suburban areas where rents are cheaper or they can actually own a home much more affordably.  People could live in small eastern Gaston county towns and have an easy commute or Cabarrus not to mention Huntersville and the south LKN area. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lancer22 said:

I agree with you in spirit.     

Although millennials are 23-38 years old and starting to make their suburban shift.   Do they want to commute out to Mountain Island lake versus in Hickory?  Yes.    I know someone who used to commute to Hickory for Corning, and he did not like the long drive, nor did he want to live in Hickory.   But I am quite sure they needed to be in Charlotte to tap in to talent pool, but still needed to be directionally near their current employee's homes.   

But agreed it is not a hot spot, other than being near lake housing. 

I still cringe though when I hear the suburbs vs CBD at my workplace.  People will fight tooth and nail to avoid being located in uptown, others will fight to avoid being in the suburbs.    Obviously I prefer the urban core, but not all businesses can be there.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...