Icon on Main (15 stories)

gman430

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled an Edwards and built another complex somewhere less controversial.

I always feel there are behind the scenes, back room deals, of which the public are never apprised. I agree it would not be surprising if USC was actually helping this company relocate its project to a different area.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my mind the irony of USC complaining about Main Street is USC's lack of attention to Main Street. The University's presence includes two parking lots (Law, Education), a bunch of nasty science buildings, some trees (Law), the joint venture Adesso, and down the buildings across Blossom. I'm sure USC has something in mind, but is not ready to buy. As an alumnus, it kills me that they used My Carolina as a weapon.

I was talking to a friend about this and she mentioned that during her freshman year (2003?), USC tried to force a purchase of the Sandy's land. USC students circulated a petition and Benedict, Allen, and Columbia College students piled on as well. We all know that USC can be territorial and I think they've had their eye on this part of campus for years. I honestly wouldn't mind if the University purchased most of the land along South Main so long as they built dorms, classrooms, or offices with restaurants and shops along the first floor. The effect would be like you see along traditional Main Streets. They wouldn't even need to do it themselves, they could partner with Holder or another developer to build exactly what the school wants. The problem, of course, is that ownership of this land is very fractured. USC would need to cobble together their own plots with land from private owners, the state, and SCANA. It may take years and there are plenty of other priorities. In the mean time, though, they should at least be honest about their intentions.

I feel like Carolina's attitude towards South Main Street is slowly changing. The University is rapidly expanding west of Main, so eventually they will want to tie it all together. The northernmost blocks of South Main could be a nice little restaurant district given its proximity to the state house, dorms, and class rooms. It just lacks buildings and the feeling that the street is cared for.

Eventually the school has to find a way to absorb the surface lots, probably by guaranteeing Cornell Arms an equal number of spaces in a parking garage that they will need to build probably in the center of the lot. Doing that alone would allow for development of the entire Which Wich block, which would make a huge difference. If big enough, the school could then theoretically allow development in the Education parking lot (with a pull in immediately around the back entrance of the building). Couple that with the purchase of the SCANA lot across from Hunter Gatherer and the redevelopment of the Law lot and the Sandy's/Baptist land and you've completely rebuilt the street.

Eventually the school has to find a way to absorb the surface lots, probably by guaranteeing Cornell Arms an equal number of spaces in a parking garage that they will need to build probably in the center of the lot. Doing that alone would allow for development of the entire Which Wich block, which would make a huge difference. If big enough, the school could then theoretically allow development in the Education parking lot (with a pull in immediately around the back entrance of the building). Couple that with the purchase of the SCANA lot across from Hunter Gatherer and the redevelopment of the Law lot and the Sandy's/Baptist land and you've completely rebuilt the street.

I'm with you! I am a 44 year old, lifelong Columbian. I live in Forest Acres at the moment, but I'm young and will be retiring young. I think living in a condo on South Main would be pretty awesome! I can leave my car in the garage, and bike everywhere I need to go, sans hospital (in that case, I'd call for a ride). It would be in the epicenter of activity.

Archived