Kline City Center

colasc

Homes Urban LLC of Greenville announced last summer its plans to develop the old Kline Steel site at Gervais and Huger. This is a mammoth project, and another I've been waiting to see break ground. Apparently the plans had been for construction to begin during the first quarter of 2015, but nothing is going on that I can see. Anyone have any insight, and has anyone seen the most recent renderings of what is all supposed to look like?

One project that has surprised me by the speed with which is moving, is the student housing at the old Greyhound site. I really hope this will be a quality development, but in reality, anything built there would be a huge improvement to what had been there all my life. The new law school is also speeding along.

• Like 1

Homes Urban LLC of Greenville announced last summer its plans to develop the old Kline Steel site at Gervais and Huger. This is a mammoth project, and another I've been waiting to see break ground. Apparently the plans had been for construction to begin during the first quarter of 2015, but nothing is going on that I can see. Anyone have any insight, and has anyone seen the most recent renderings of what is all supposed to look like?

One project that has surprised me by the speed with which is moving, is the student housing at the old Greyhound site. I really hope this will be a quality development, but in reality, anything built there would be a huge improvement to what had been there all my life. The new law school is also speeding along.

Here's the most recent project design for the Kline steel Center 

1hNUkA.So.74.jpeg

Here's the most recent project design for the Kline steel Center 

1hNUkA.So.74.jpeg

Thanks. I had seen that, but was curious to know if any more recent renderings showing architectural detail had been released. A few years back, there were some very detailed renderings, that were computer graphic generated, but those were done by someone else (not the current developers), so I don't know if they will try to emulate them.

Thanks. I had seen that, but was curious to know if any more recent renderings showing architectural detail had been released. A few years back, there were some very detailed renderings, that were computer graphic generated, but those were done by someone else (not the current developers), so I don't know if they will try to emulate them.

Not that I know of. 

Those are the ones I was referring to earlier. They are impressive, aren't they? They came out a few years ago, and then unfortunately, the deal tanked. I believe it may have coincided with the economic recession. Anyway..yeah..they are impressive as hell, and I'm really curious to know if the new guys will take those old renderings, and run with them..or something similar.

• 4 weeks later...

On another site they have the design info on Kline City Center, we've been waiting on. In my opinion it lacks a lot of the bang we were hoping for, and what seemed to have been captured in earlier renderings. These appear to be reflective of a myriad other developments I've seen from Nashville to Charlotte. Regardless, it will add density, both structurally, and in people. It will apparently be built in phases with the corner parcel reserved for a hotel (the last parcel developed). 

So, has anyone seen any plans for the apartments/condos that are supposed to be built across Gervais from Kline (near the McD's)?

Edited by Spartan

On another site they have the design info on Kline City Center, we've been waiting on. In my opinion it lacks a lot of the bang we were hoping for, and what seemed to have been captured in earlier renderings. These appear to be reflective of a myriad other developments I've seen from Nashville to Charlotte. Regardless, it will add density, both structurally, and in people. It will apparently be built in phases with the corner parcel reserved for a hotel (the last parcel developed). 

So, has anyone seen any plans for the apartments/condos that are supposed to be built across Gervais from Kline (near the McD's)?

I couldn't find this - can you send the link? Thanks.

I actually see it as a sign of progress that Columbia can draw something like this. It fits the character of the area, will likely attract young professionals more than students, and breaches the gap between the Vista and the river. It feels like a smaller scale Metropolitan in Charlotte.

Yes, I am happy to see it actually happening, and am happy to see new downtown housing which is not geared exclusively to students. Maybe one day I'll relocate to one of these condos/apartments and enjoy walking to all the cool things I love about Columbia!

Developers say they are ready to move forward with the construction of the first of two buildings in the long-awaited redevelopment of one of Columbia’s most high-visibility corners.

Urban Homes developer Russ Davis told the Design/Development Review Commission Thursday that he has a major hotelier lined up and has in hand the land at Huger and Gervais streets, formerly the Kline Iron and Steel Co. property, which also is the western gateway to the Vista.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/hv5zk6/picture26929117/ALTERNATES/FREE_480/JDavis%20-%20Kline%20PerspEntrance01_dc

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article26929120.html

Why are they cutting off Lady St from Williams St in the concept plan? I realize the connection was likely never there (or has been gone for 100 years) but it seems like the city would want them to build on to the grid for all modes of transportation, not just pedestrians.

• Like 1

Developers say they are ready to move forward with the construction of the first of two buildings in the long-awaited redevelopment of one of Columbia’s most high-visibility corners.

Urban Homes developer Russ Davis told the Design/Development Review Commission Thursday that he has a major hotelier lined up and has in hand the land at Huger and Gervais streets, formerly the Kline Iron and Steel Co. property, which also is the western gateway to the Vista.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/hv5zk6/picture26929117/ALTERNATES/FREE_480/JDavis%20-%20Kline%20PerspEntrance01_dc

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article26929120.html

Wonder which "hotelier" we're talking about? Hopefully not the Red Roof Inn.