Kline City Center

colasc

Just now, growingup15 said:

Are you serious. what is the Design Board doing? are they trying to kill another major project?

All they said in the beginning is that it's been deferred . I don't know why. There was a sign on the property today, but could not read it. If i had to guess, it might be the economy. With the exception of today, markets have been basically in free-fall since the new year. 

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

Question. Whatever happened to the land next to the Kline City Center. Anyone knows what happened to that project? I heard a huge retailer was supposed to be built there. It came and gone. I haven't heard anything since.

That is off SCEG's site so i assume they are in the contract phase. Also 410 Gervals sold for $2,723,139, 3 months ago. 

Kline is going to have rooftop amenities!! NICE

Enjoy!

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/2818CA4B-6AB1-4D35-A2C6-DBF1F22E66D5.pdf

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mpretori said:

That is off SCEG's site so i assume they are in the contract phase. Also 410 Gervals sold for $2,723,139, 3 months ago. 

Kline is going to have rooftop amenities!! NICE

Enjoy!

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/2818CA4B-6AB1-4D35-A2C6-DBF1F22E66D5.pdf

Wow looking at the bottom of that PDF file i saw all the construction proposed  and planned projects in Columbia. WOW. i knew it was a lot but not this much.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, growingup15 said:

Long-awaited Kline development downtown could get help from special tax district

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article125759334.html

I'm getting tired of the city giving into developers' demands without considering the long-term financial impact. Either the economics of the project work or they don't, but there's no reason why the city should be on the hook for public parking when nothing on the property is in the public interest. There is a very real ongoing cost to building and maintaining parking garages. Apartments buildings have minimum requirements that all developers must meet. Bailing Homes Urban out by assuming the infrastructure cost sets a bad precedent for all future developments in the city. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Kline project scaled back to apartments only

I didn't realize this was TIF dependent. TIFs have been crucial for urban projects throughout SC and they are getting harder to do.  

I'm glad the city didn't acquiesce to the developer's demands. TIFs should really only be used to transform an area that cannot generate adequate investment. This is the Vista, there's built-in demand.

42 minutes ago, carolinagarnet said:

I'm glad the city didn't acquiesce to the developer's demands. TIFs should really only be used to transform an area that cannot generate adequate investment. This is the Vista, there's built-in demand.

TIFs are used long after the investment corner has been turned. As long as the public uses and owns the improvements, and a significant private investment is in tandem, I don't see a problem.