Kline City Center

colasc

The development boom of the last two years continues, with new residential and commercial developments springing out of the ground like wildflowers in the Capital City.

Yet, in the midst of all that development, one very prominent piece of land in the middle of it all — the barren 6.5 acres at the corner of Huger and Gervais streets that was the former home of Kline Iron and Steel — has been vacant.

If all goes to plan, that won’t be the case for too much longer

http://www.free-times.com/news/100-million-development-planned-for-former-kline-iron-site-071515

It's interesting that the DDRC is pushing Davis/Homes Urban to name the hotel while across town, Hughes hasn't named a single retailer he has recruited. Seems like a double standard, especially since the former doesn't own the land yet.

Precisely.

It's interesting that the DDRC is pushing Davis/Homes Urban to name the hotel while across town, Hughes hasn't named a single retailer he has recruited. Seems like a double standard, especially since the former doesn't own the land yet.

Hughes has Letters of Intent, which are not binding. Either way, the lessee usually determines when and how things are make public.    

Hughes has Letters of Intent, which are not binding. Either way, the lessee usually determines when and how things are make public.    

True, but most developments don't receive tens of millions in public funding. I don't recall, has he announced a definitive timeline for construction of anything beyond the stadium and the adjacent building? I thought that Kline might include more of a retail component, but since it doesn't, it won't pose much competition on that front for Columbia Commons.

• 3 weeks later...

BY SARAH ELLIS

[email protected]

COLUMBIA, SC 

New details about the high-dollar Kline City Center development on one of Columbia’s most prominent corners include plans for as many as 350 apartment or condo units, with construction beginning as soon as this winter.

Homes Urban developer Russ Davis submitted to the city Planning Commission a detailed description that includes requests for changes to the city’s planned urban development district guidelines. Davis lays out a number of plans for the 6.5-acre former Kline Iron and Steel Co. property at Huger and Gervais streets. The Planning Commission takes up the proposal at its Monday meeting.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article29707228.html

kline1

• 2 weeks later...

True, but most developments don't receive tens of millions in public funding. I don't recall, has he announced a definitive timeline for construction of anything beyond the stadium and the adjacent building? I thought that Kline might include more of a retail component, but since it doesn't, it won't pose much competition on that front for Columbia Commons.

I have a feeling that City Council (and some others) have been given the names of the companies with the LOI's, but the rest of us would like to know, too.

• 1 month later...

Russ Davis has had his eyes on the former Kline Iron & Steel Co. site for 10 years. And the Greenville-based developer is now one step closer to seeing his longtime passion project come to life.

“I’ve known and talked to Jerry Kline (former president of Kline Iron & Steel) about buying this site for a decade,” Davis said. “So for me to get this approval – we’ll have to get through the city council – but once we get those two things done it will be really gratifying.

Davis and Homes Urban received approval Thursday from the city of Columbia’s Design/Development Review Commission to move forward on a $100 million mixed-use project at the corner of Huger and Gervais streets, one of the few remaining large, undeveloped parcels in downtown Columbia.

The four-building project, which would include a 140-room hotel, office, retail space and up to 350 condos or apartments, must now go before City Council to receive approval for changes to its site plan. The first reading is scheduled for Sept. 15 and a second reading is slated for Oct. 6.

Once that process is complete, Homes Urban will be in position to submit for building permits and “get this thing started,” Davis said. The property has been in the Kline family for more than 90 years.

“It’s our full expectation to be closed by the end of November and under construction before the first of the year,” Davis said.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/55651-city-design-commission-green-lights-kline-city-center

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, growingup15 said:

um..... so Anyone else noticed that Construction never started on this like they said it would. Im not sure if this should be something to worry about.

I'm still seeing a "Available" sign on the property. I think they are still trying to get people to lease the areas. The Adjacent SC Power property hasn't sold and they stated that they would close before 1/1/16 on their sale flyer. The property besides McDonalds has abandoned their apartment project and is selling the land. 

15 hours ago, mpretori said:

The property besides McDonalds has abandoned their apartment project and is selling the land. 

Bummer that the apartment project fell through. That would have transformed that whole intersection. Strangely I have a feeling that the McDonalds block will be slow to develop given the sheer size, even being eclipsed by developments in the remainder of land on that side of Huger. That might not be a bad thing though, as that site may eventually justify retail.

3 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Bummer that the apartment project fell through. That would have transformed that whole intersection. Strangely I have a feeling that the McDonalds block will be slow to develop given the sheer size, even being eclipsed by developments in the remainder of land on that side of Huger. That might not be a bad thing though, as that site may eventually justify retail.

Yea, they are selling it as retail as well... Pray we don't get a pharmacy store or grocery store. 

27fe740c480049af8f61b2f301007dca.jpg

God, please don't put another Walgreens there. What sort of retail would you guys view as palatable for that lot? Maybe, a movie theater? Free Times in all its infinite wisdom thinks so. Maybe a food truck court, although I'm sure the Vista Guild would probably oppose it as damaging to the restaurants just up Gervais.

2 hours ago, victory said:

God, please don't put another Walgreens there. What sort of retail would you guys view as palatable for that lot? Maybe, a movie theater? Free Times in all its infinite wisdom thinks so. Maybe a food truck court, although I'm sure the Vista Guild would probably oppose it as damaging to the restaurants just up Gervais.

Funny you say that. There isn't a Walgreen's near that location. I hope it's mixed use like Kline. 

SC Power company has until tomorrow to sell the land. So far the land is still in SC Power companies name. Either the bidders retracted their offers or they we waiting until tomorrow. I think the first one is true, since most will be off tomorrow. Kline said the construction would begin be the end of this year and the lot is still undisturbed with a sale sign in front of the lot. 

SC Power company has until tomorrow to sell the land. So far the land is still in SC Power companies name. Either the bidders retracted their offers or they we waiting until tomorrow. I think the first one is true, since most will be off tomorrow. Kline said the construction would begin be the end of this year and the lot is still undisturbed with a sale sign in front of the lot. 

Are you getting your lots confused?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SouthernBorn said:

Status of all them all right now:

SC ELECTRIC & GAS CO- Closing tomorrow or lot remains in SC ELECTRIC & GAS CO's name or alternative to selling the land. 

Kline City Center- Still has not gotten approval from the design panel 

Lot besides McDonald's- Still for sale

Edited by mpretori

22 hours ago, victory said:

I may just be imagining this, but I think Hughes announced a movie theater at BullStreet, which seems like a natural fit given the look and feel of the retail village. This lot seems primed for something that mirrors Kline in size and structure. I worry about the need to consolidate all of the land though. 

• Like 1

Status of all them all right now:

SC ELECTRIC & GAS CO- Closing tomorrow or lot remains in SC ELECTRIC & GAS CO's name or alternative to selling the land. 

Kline City Center- Still has not gotten approval from the design panel 

Lot besides McDonald's- Still for sale

Just making sure you knew what you were talking about. Your sentences kinda got jumbled up and confusing. Kline city center hasn't even been sent for approval it's all just been informational sessions they should be going in February for approval and construction should start in late spring or early summer.

8 minutes ago, SouthernBorn said:

Just making sure you knew what you were talking about. Your sentences kinda got jumbled up and confusing. Kline city center hasn't even been sent for approval it's all just been informational sessions they should be going in February for approval and construction should start in late spring or early summer.

Yup, they go before the design bored in January and they should be approved then, just some minor detail fixes. 

11 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

I may just be imagining this, but I think Hughes announced a movie theater at BullStreet, which seems like a natural fit given the look and feel of the retail village. This lot seems primed for something that mirrors Kline in size and structure. I worry about the need to consolidate all of the land though. 

This is correct. You can even see the cinema in one or two of the renderings of the Bull St property. It appears to sit at one end of a pocket park, near the Bull St side of the property. When it comes to fruition, there probably won't be a need for another wide release cinema downtown. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...