New Look - New Bookmark

dmillsphoto

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo,

I attached the image

Ad Problem.jpg

I think I have this fixed. It will take 15-30 minutes for the change I made to propagate however. Please try back in ~30 minutes and let me know if it is still messed up for you. If it is, before replying, please clear your browser's cache. Thanks!

It is not showing up now. That is where it was yesterday, but not now and I know there are unread topics.

So far it always has seemed seems to show up using Mozilla Firefox 39.0 browser (my default).  While starting a reply to to this on Mozilla, I observed popup notification of Daniel's response to same; went to another computer with IE11 (Win7) and opened to another thread (as a test) and was able to witness the "Next Unread Topic" pointing to Daniel's new post in "New Look - New Bookmark " (the above post).  Haven't taken to time to test on IE10 or IE9 yet. Also haven't opened Safari on MacOS yet either.

But it (this feature) does work on IE11 and Mozilla Firefox 39.0, at least on two of my 6 Windows boxes at home, and on 2 at work.   Don't know what browser client plug-ins might be related, if any (probably none for U-P to be browser neutral).

While it may have no bearing on whether or not you see  the Next Unread flag, you might also check your notification settings, as the configuration options seem more robust now than as in the past.

-==-

I'm still having trouble figuring out how to go to first unread post in a thread. I click the "timer" under the pictures on the right. That does take me to the last post in a thread. But it jumps over all the other posts that I haven't read. If o just click a thread title, it takes me to the very first post ever in that thread. Maybe this isn't a function that was on desktop before, but on the old mobile, simply clicking on a thread title would take me to the first post (in a series of new ones) that I haven't yet read. It was very convenient.  

Assume the links are still not working as none of the few I have tried are working.  

Also, my one beef is it is extremely difficult to see the divisions between posts.  So I can't tell where one ends and the next starts without looking very closely. Is there any way to contrast the borders better? 

I don't mean to be a whiner, as I'm sure the mods had everyone's best interest at heart and that this transition took a lot of man hours to complete, but I must say, I'm really not a fan at all of this new design.  I'm not really sure what about the old design was in need of update/change to begin with? 

I don't mean to be a whiner, as I'm sure the mods had everyone's best interest at heart and that this transition took a lot of man hours to complete, but I must say, I'm really not a fan at all of this new design.  I'm not really sure what about the old design was in need of update/change to begin with? 

The previous version required tapatalk integration to get full mobile features. Given that the majority of us don't use full on computers, be it notebooks or desktops, to access the content, the new site gives us a unified and responsive design without managing multiple platforms. The visuals will take some longer to adjust to - but it's day two - I have my controls back and I'm good to go. 

I'm still having trouble figuring out how to go to first unread post in a thread. I click the "timer" under the pictures on the right. That does take me to the last post in a thread. But it jumps over all the other posts that I haven't read. If o just click a thread title, it takes me to the very first post ever in that thread. Maybe this isn't a function that was on desktop before, but on the old mobile, simply clicking on a thread title would take me to the first post (in a series of new ones) that I haven't yet read. It was very convenient.  

The timestamp will take you to the LAST post. If you want to go to the first unread, the process hasn't changed at all from the previous version though the button you tap looks different (placement is the same):

Screen_Shot_2015-07-14_at_10_04_04_AM.th

Assume the links are still not working as none of the few I have tried are working.  

Also, my one beef is it is extremely difficult to see the divisions between posts.  So I can't tell where one ends and the next starts without looking very closely. Is there any way to contrast the borders better? 

Let's please wait until all of the posts have been rebuilt before we go any further with this. I think most issues folks are having can be attributed to the posts not being fully rebuilt yet. As stated in my announcement at the top of each page, it will take several days for this process to complete. There is nothing I can do to speed things up. This server runs off of the fastest enterprise grade SSD's I could get my hands on (for any other geeks out there, this site runs on a 4-core dedicated server with 16GB of memory). 

BTW, the next unread topic was back this morning. I thought it could have had something to do with the Apple format. Who knows, but was strange I had it one day and the next I didn't and the next I did.

A small update was applied this morning that resolved a few issues, I expect this was one of the items addressed in the update.

Nothing was inherently wrong with the DESIGN of the old site. Here's the issue and why I have a hard time balancing upgrades to the site with the wants and desires of users:

The company that makes the forum software that we run this site on updated with a new major version a couple of months ago. They've been working on this update for a couple of years. The old version is now deprecated as it likely should be...it was several years old and it takes a lot of money to keep supporting two versions. A lot has happened since the last major version of the software, including (most notably) the need for a responsive design. Google (for one) now **REQUIRES** that a site be either responsive or to have a dedicated mobile application in order to keep search rankings. Google places a higher weight on responsive sites. I want this site to continue to grow as well as offer all of its members usability on any device that they have. It worked(ish) before, but now I only have to keep up with one site design. This new site should also be faster for almost everyone as it is able to take advantage of newer versions of Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc whereas the old version (since it was old and thus backwards compatibility had to be kept) wasn't able to do that.

Yes, there are some minor issues that need addressing, but I think overall the upgrade has been a success and offers a great deal of benefits for everyone.

I know everyone's tastes aren't the same. I dealt with this exact same backlash with the last major upgrade several years ago. I realize that some issues exists that can be addressed while keeping the majority happy, but many issues aren't really issues...just a matter of preference. At some point a decision has to be made to push forward though. I expect this site would be dead had we kept using the same software we were using in 2003.

If anyone has a specific issue that they would like to see addressed then please let me know. Unfortunately general comments about the design being bad, unusable, etc aren't helpful at all as I have no idea what needs addressing. My displays are color calibrated...what looks okay to me may be horrible for someone else. I can see light colors very well on my displays which makes the separation between posts a non-issue for me, but I can see how under some contrast settings and brightness levels that could be an issue. How would I go about solving that for everyone? Make it darker...but then you have the folks that don't care for that change either.

It is a conundrum I tell you! 

Didn't know where else to post this on this site. The RSS feed for forums is busted. It publishes each new post but shows the first post of each thread, not the latest post.

If you can fix it I promise I'll click on a bunch of ads.

This was actually busted somewhat intentionally.

I'm in the same boat as you, I promise. I'm such an addict to RSS feeds for media consumption that I hold a lifetime Pro subscription to Feedly. I've always paid the makers of this forum software every time an update came out to do what you're requesting. It was mostly for me, but I realize that there are a handful of people (literally) that use it too. It was extremely expensive to pay for this modification at inception and with each site upgrade (sometimes even very minor updates broke it).

I'm personally going to see if I can get used to email notifications of new content and replies. You can choose to have an email delivered immediately or have a digest sent to you daily or weekly. So far I'm liking it a little better as it gives me a customized overview of new content per topic instead of everything mashed together.

I won't sit here and say that the RSS feeds for posts aren't coming back, but at the moment I have no plans for that to happen. I'm not very willing to blow a grand on something that I know will only be used by a few people. 

I won't sit here and say that the RSS feeds for posts aren't coming back, but at the moment I have no plans for that to happen. I'm not very willing to blow a grand on something that I know will only be used by a few people. 

Understood. Kind of hard to follow threads in a feed, anyway. Thanks for the response.

• 2 weeks later...

At least one more thinkg I don;t like about the new-look is that the reply editor no longer provides the "Indent >" "or indent <" feature.  This had been useful in "setting off specific free-standing text, by formatting it as secondary.   Now all I can do is, either use the quote button and delete the header (if possible), or embed a tab character or space and a forced carriage return at the end.  But line feed double-spaces the text instead of adding single space between lines.

-==-

Archived