New Look - New Bookmark

dmillsphoto

At least one more thinkg I don;t like about the new-look is that the reply editor no longer provides the "Indent >" "or indent <" feature.  This had been useful in "setting off specific free-standing text, by formatting it as secondary.   Now all I can do is, either use the quote button and delete the header (if possible), or embed a tab character or space and a forced carriage return at the end.  But line feed double-spaces the text instead of adding single space between lines.

-==-

The new editor is auto-indent so in most cases there should be no need to manually adjust it, but I guess it depends on your use (or what you're used to).

Shift+Enter/Return is the universal method for returning a single line. This works in (almost) all applications, native and on the web. It is there if you need it. FWIW, Facebook also does the same thing (double line return if returning without holding down Shift).

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new editor is auto-indent so in most cases there should be no need to manually adjust it, but I guess it depends on your use (or what you're used to).

Shift+Enter/Return is the universal method for returning a single line. This works in (almost) all applications, native and on the web. It is there if you need it. FWIW, Facebook also does the same thing (double line return if returning without holding down Shift).

Thanks.  I get some of what you say (I think), like the single-line protocol (guess it depends on the extent of familiarity with such apps).  The auto-indent?  If I want to compose a body of text and then I want to go back and interject a paragraph of indented text anywhere in the middle arbitrarily, and decide that the indent level is not deep enough, then the old rich-text-like editor gave such control.  If that functionality still exists, then I would need to be shown.  Not trying to be anal or to "beetch" ─ just saying what I miss.
-==-

(at least I got my ^sig symbol spaced right this time)

Thanks.  I get some of what you say (I think), like the single-line protocol (guess it depends on the extent of familiarity with such apps).  The auto-indent?  If I want to compose a body of text and then I want to go back and interject a paragraph of indented text anywhere in the middle arbitrarily, and decide that the indent level is not deep enough, then the old rich-text-like editor gave such control.  If that functionality still exists, then I would need to be shown.  Not trying to be anal or to "beetch" ─ just saying what I miss.
-==-

(at least I got my ^sig symbol spaced right this time)

I'm not completely happy with the new quoting system. I think a better job could have been done in making it easier to use. Editing a quote block can be frustrating now, I've experienced the same. I do believe it is a step in the right direction and will eventually get better. There have been a lot of complaints to the software vendor about the new quoting system so I'm certain that something will change for the better. 

The only major issue I have, with the new software, is "going to the first unread post" on a thread - on mobile (pc works fine). I use Chrome and Dolphin on my mobile, but neither will advance to the first unread post. And yes, I am clicking the correct link (that displays the last post time, ie 2 hours or 2 days)

The only major issue I have, with the new software, is "going to the first unread post" on a thread - on mobile (pc works fine). I use Chrome and Dolphin on my mobile, but neither will advance to the first unread post. And yes, I am clicking the correct link (that displays the last post time, ie 2 hours or 2 days)

You are tapping on the wrong icon. Please see this post: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/117371-new-look-new-bookmark/?do=findComment&comment=1368779

That seems better ....

How to link to an image? I normally just "Insert Image" using photos from my Photobucket. **I tried the "insert other media" and "Insert image from URL", but all I get is a spinning circle which I gave up on after 15 minutes. This is using Chrome desktop and moblie

• 3 weeks later...

Neo,
I am sorry, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For me, I like the new redesign when using a PC browser. However, I seldom use the site while on mobile because ... it just doesn't work, or is too cumbersome to use.

1) Why are full size ads displaying in mobile browser (and I have my mobile browser set to use mobile website)
2) Apparently, my fingers are too fat to tap on the tiny star/circle icon for "Go to first unread post". My success rate is less than 50%
3) AND, when I am get lucky enough to tap on the icon for "Go to first unread post", it does not work. However, sometimes it gets close

Screenshot_2015-08-19-21-40-16_zpsyv5ssu

** In this example, it went to the 2nd to last post and skipped 7 unread posts

Again, just my personal preference, but the old mobile site was much more user friendly while on mobile. BTW, I am using Android version 5.1.1 and thank you for all your hard work for keeping and maintaining this site!

Neo,
I am sorry, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For me, I like the new redesign when using a PC browser. However, I seldom use the site while on mobile because ... it just doesn't work, or is too cumbersome to use.

1) Why are full size ads displaying in mobile browser (and I have my mobile browser set to use mobile website)
2) Apparently, my fingers are too fat to tap on the tiny star/circle icon for "Go to first unread post". My success rate is less than 50%
3) AND, when I am get lucky enough to tap on the icon for "Go to first unread post", it does not work. However, sometimes it gets close

Screenshot_2015-08-19-21-40-16_zpsyv5ssu

** In this example, it went to the 2nd to last post and skipped 7 unread posts

Again, just my personal preference, but the old mobile site was much more user friendly while on mobile. BTW, I am using Android version 5.1.1 and thank you for all your hard work for keeping and maintaining this site!

Could you please post another screenshot showing the ad going across the page? I also would like to know what browser (and version) you are using. I'm guessing it is the Dolphin Browser for Android. Please try the site in Chrome just out of curiosity. Mobile browsers are detected based on something called a user agent. It is likely that a user agent for your browser simply isn't being detected or isn't implemented and thus our ad platform has no idea that you aren't on a non-mobile device. Our site is responsive, but unfortunately much of our ad platform is not at the moment so I have to detect that you are coming from a mobile device to change ads accordingly. The ads are unfortunately a necessity to keep this site running.

I want to get this resolved for you (and others). Please try the next unread in Chrome as well to see if it offers a better experience. It could be that the issue isn't completely ours but I want to find out.

Could you please post another screenshot showing the ad going across the page? I also would like to know what browser (and version) you are using. I'm guessing it is the Dolphin Browser for Android. Please try the site in Chrome just out of curiosity. Mobile browsers are detected based on something called a user agent. It is likely that a user agent for your browser simply isn't being detected or isn't implemented and thus our ad platform has no idea that you aren't on a non-mobile device. Our site is responsive, but unfortunately much of our ad platform is not at the moment so I have to detect that you are coming from a mobile device to change ads accordingly. The ads are unfortunately a necessity to keep this site running.

I want to get this resolved for you (and others). Please try the next unread in Chrome as well to see if it offers a better experience. It could be that the issue isn't completely ours but I want to find out.

Uploading from mobile. Chrome version 44 build 2403. The ad platform is going to be the non-responsive bit - which I personally am not too distressed about as I don't really use mobile often.

Screenshot_2015-08-20-09-58-20.png

Uploading from mobile. Chrome version 44 build 2403. The ad platform is going to be the non-responsive bit - which I personally am not too distressed about as I don't really use mobile often.

Screenshot_2015-08-20-09-58-20.png

Should be fixed now! Please let me know if you encounter any more ads that are taking up more than the width of your mobile device.

Neo, whenever I load the page, I often get a jumbled looking page like this (attached). It probably happens 25-50% of the time. Sometimes, refreshing fixed it the first time, other times I have to open a new window and try again. I'm using safari in iOS 8.4.1.

thanks.

image.jpg

...so this happens if the CSS doesn't load properly. I want to confirm that you aren't stopping the page from loading, as that could definitely cause an issue. Having said that, CSS is cached on our end but shouldn't cause an issue like this. First (and maybe you've already tried this) go ahead and clear your browser's cache so it forces your browser to download everything anew.

• 2 weeks later...

Neo,
Whatever you did - THANKS! I have used this site on mobile at least 5x without issues (ads fit to screen correctly, go to first unread post works)

But apparently, my fingers are just too fat to tap on that tiny star/circle icon for "Go to first unread post". As you suggested, I tried the "NEXT UNREAD TOPIC" and it works for the designed purpose. However, when I am on mobile, I seldom (if ever) want that functionality; because, on mobile, I only want to read a few threads (at most). This results in needing to tap on the star/cirle icon ........... it would be nice if that was made MUCH bigger. It works great with a mouse and PC, but it is extremely difficult to tap on mobile

Just my honest feedback

**Dolphin seems to work much better with the site than Chrome, and I like the tabs and ease of use of Dolphin over Chrome

I'll second that. I use mobile nearly exclusively for this site and the "newest post" star is a little tricky to tap (iOS). I wouldn't call it "extremely difficult" as farm boy did, but it is tricky, especially being on the far left of my screen.  I usually get it on the 2nd or 3rd try though. Would love it if the star were a little larger.

The site looks great though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Neo,

I have a complaint about the mobile site that could maybe be fixed in a future version. It may be the browser I use (safari) or it may be universal. But it's been like this the past couple of versions.

When I read a thread and get to the most recent post, I'm at the bottom of a page. In order to go back to the main Nashville menu I can do one of two things;

-push my "back a page" button on my browser (bottom left in image). This takes me back, but does not refresh the page and shows that I haven't read the thread I was just in. 

-use the sites "back a page" button (top left of image), which does refresh the page and update my read topics, but it's at the very top of each thread. When I read the most recent post, I have to scroll all the way back up the page to get to this button. 

It's a minor annoyance, but one that I figured would be fixed by now. Just putting it out there for thought. Mill attach a screen shot for reference.

image.jpg

Neo,

I have a complaint about the mobile site that could maybe be fixed in a future version. It may be the browser I use (safari) or it may be universal. But it's been like this the past couple of versions.

When I read a thread and get to the most recent post, I'm at the bottom of a page. In order to go back to the main Nashville menu I can do one of two things;

-push my "back a page" button on my browser (bottom left in image). This takes me back, but does not refresh the page and shows that I haven't read the thread I was just in. 

-use the sites "back a page" button (top left of image), which does refresh the page and update my read topics, but it's at the very top of each thread. When I read the most recent post, I have to scroll all the way back up the page to get to this button. 

It's a minor annoyance, but one that I figured would be fixed by now. Just putting it out there for thought. Mill attach a screen shot for reference.

image.jpg

Since I'm old-school, I only use iOS Safari when I'm on the bus and my ISP signal is not strong enough to actually remote-control to one of my desktop boxes to initiate a full editing session in Windows or MacOS, where I have complete and robust control of the interface.  When I do use it, I don't seem to have that issue to which you refer, as I only have to scroll to the bottom or (as you are aware) to the top to access a link to the parent topic of the current sub-topic (thread), in this case, the "Nashville" button.  On my phone Safari, this is at the extreme top for the "Nashville" button (shown in your shot) and at the bottom (before all that advertisement stuff, and immediately following the final post on the current page), in the form of a left arrowhead followed with "Go to Topic Listing"  and the name of the parent topic.  This appears (at least on my Safari) below the replicated page navigator back-/forward arrows that you mention.

U-P.org_on_mobile_Safari-1-markup.thumb.

One thing I myself would suggest to help the entire Planet's worth of users is that the software developers embed a floating up-arrow, similar to that found on the eBay site when viewed on full-blown browsers.  This appears and positioned at in the lower right of the browser window, but only when the user scrolls down beyond the equivalent of one screen of content.

scroll-2-top_on_ebay.thumb.jpg.204a52331

This would facilitate navigation to the top without developing arthritis of the finger, so to speak, for immediate navigation to the top of those very long pages.  I don't even know whether or not such an object is available for coding in mobile-site Web programming, but long scrolls required to the top or bottom of pages served with over half-full content are my current peeve.
-==-

On my phone Safari, this isin the form of a left arrowhead followed with "Go to Topic Listing"  and the name of the parent topic.  This appears (at least on my Safari) below the replicated page navigator back-/forward arrows 

I've found in life, that I learn the most when I take my blinders. My "dunce" cap is permanent though. Thanks Rookzie. 

Even though I don't reply to each post, I am reading what you guys are saying. I did want to chime in quickly and offer an alternative for getting back to the top of the page...at least in iOS you can touch the very top bar (the one that has your carrier's name) and it will immediately scroll to the very top of the page you're on. That's universal for any webpage and has been in iOS since the beginning FWIW.

I've found in life, that I learn the most when I take my blinders. My "dunce" cap is permanent though. Thanks Rookzie. 

See what Neo says, nashvillewill?  Now you also see that you aint the only "permanent dunce-cap" head around here ─ not to agree with you and say that you really are one. :blink:  I'm probably a chunk older than you, and I still have a lot of catching up to do, as far as manipulation of the screen is concerned.

But regardless, user-interface (UI) design is always somewhat subjective in what the engineers design w/r/t what the end user perceives and readily recognizes.  It's called "useability", and page-element interaction rarely is intuitive to everyone, or even to the same person during the same or different sessions.  UI "affordance" is intended to induce intuitive inference to the user of the presence of UI page elements, but something that is readily called to your attention may almost totally elude my conscious perception (such as a navgator button), even though it may be "staring" right at me.  Engineers strive to optimize a UI for most audiences with a fundamental familiarity with a specific type of application (Web or desktop), but it's impossible to make it appeal to each and everyone's set of senses.  Compounding this confoundedness is one's having to become familiar with OS- and app(lication)-specific UI functional responses, in addition to that if the contained Web-based service UI, such as U-P.  Therefore, you and I are far from being alone in this.  -==-

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I will say one thing about the U-P Invision Community Software in general is that accessing the help pages, sight unseen, is not necessarily intuitive at all, even if the admins do think otherwise.  One shouldn't have to stumble upon what is named UrbanPlanet Information on the Forums pages, which, once one finds it, even requires scrolling downward to ever notice.  The set-up as a whole sorely could use a quick one or two clicks (at most) to link to a robust and organized "Help" page, formatted as a clearinghouse to more specifically grouped and cross-grouped issues in scalable knowledgebase, and this shouldn't require any extensive drill-down to reached from the portal pages.  I recognize that no such animal could be made ideal or "perfecter" for all visitors.  But even if the help pages indeed are readily accessible, then dufuses like me shouldn't be expected to be as "intelligent" and "gifted" in perception of page details, and then have to jump through circus hoops to find them, just because the design and layout might seem objectively discernible to the developers.  I'm not in a minority here.

As far as login-session time-outs are concerned, Bruce, first you might find out how to delete all session cookies stored for your particular Web browser of choice, if you don't already know how, and clear them all out, even if you end up losing a bunch of "good" cookies.  These cookie text files (text-based files stored in the browser's cache location) frequently are intended to store a site-visitor's session preferences, and it is possible that the ones (often several) created for your access to the U-P site might have become corrupt or expired.  I'd also delete the browser history, even if you end up having to make the browser "re-learn" your favorite URL-address type-aheads, a convenience which can make you lazy.  You also have to make certain that your settings allow the storage and creation of cookies and that these cookies are allowed to persist when the browser is closed and re-opened.

Without any familiarity with any documented help pages (even if they are there somewhere close by), I would try these steps at the very least.  Hope it helps.
-==-

Well, I will say one thing about the U-P Invision Community Software in general is that accessing the help pages, sight unseen, is not necessarily intuitive at all, even if the admins do think otherwise.  One shouldn't have to stumble upon what is named UrbanPlanet Information on the Forums pages, which, once one finds it, even requires scrolling downward to ever notice.  The set-up as a whole sorely could use a quick one or two clicks (at most) to link to a robust and organized "Help" page, formatted as a clearinghouse to more specifically grouped and cross-grouped issues in scalable knowledgebase, and this shouldn't require any extensive drill-down to reached from the portal pages.  I recognize that no such animal could be made ideal or "perfecter" for all visitors.  But even if the help pages indeed are readily accessible, then dufuses like me shouldn't be expected to be as "intelligent" and "gifted" in perception of page details, and then have to jump through circus hoops to find them, just because the design and layout might seem objectively discernible to the developers.  I'm not in a minority here.

Without any familiarity with any documented help pages (even if they are there somewhere close by), I would try these steps at the very least.  Hope it helps.
-==-

You are absolutely right, we should have better documentation and a user guide. This is completely an oversight on my part. Unfortunately Invision doesn't offer user guides for users coming to a forum and posting or browsing.

I will do what I can to write an overview of how to use the site. I understand that it would be helpful for many, but understand that I can't touch every aspect and need.

You are absolutely right, we should have better documentation and a user guide. This is completely an oversight on my part. Unfortunately Invision doesn't offer user guides for users coming to a forum and posting or browsing.

I will do what I can to write an overview of how to use the site. I understand that it would be helpful for many, but understand that I can't touch every aspect and need.

Let me know if you need help. 

Archived