First time visitor to Nashville

What up guys. I didn't see an appropriate thread to put this in so I figured I could ask here. My girlfriend and I are planning on visiting Nashville for a few days toward the end of the month. Neither one of us have ever been there so I was hoping I could get some suggestions from my fellow Urban Planeteers as to where to stay. We are looking to find an eclectic/funky area with plenty of stuff within walking distance. Plans are to check out some good local restaurants, hit up some cool bars, and since we've heard that the Nashville nightlife is nothing to shake a stick at we hope to catch a live show or two. Basically a relaxing couple of days strolling around (I hope to keep the car parked the whole time there), window shopping, and just taking in the sights. 

Someone over on the Charlotte forum suggested West End or Music Row. I'm not seeing West End on Google maps but I'm assuming it is the same general area as Midtown? Also, I've been told that downtown, while nice, is a little touristy. Would you guys agree with that? We don't usually get into the tourist trap type of stuff instead preferring to do as the locals may do. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any suggestions.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed downtown is a little touristy, but could be fun if it's your first time here.  An old local like myself still has fun "honky tonking" every now and again on lower Broad.  

West End Ave does have a lot of relatively reasonable hotels, and it's super quick and easy to Uber/Lyft around town.  

Check out http://nashvilleguru.com    http://nashville.eater.com/, and http://www.nashvillescene.com/ for some more ideas.

Seconded with the suggestion to stay in Midtown/West End. Much more affordable hotels (check out Hotwire), and a super walkable area. I'd recommend hitting up some of the local breweries: Yazoo and Jackalope are an easy walk from one another, and Czann's isn't that far out of the way.  Lots of good food to be had, too, in most of neighborhoods.

Thanks for the tips guys. The reddit link will be especially helpful and I'm always up for a good brewery tour. What are some of the main streets in West End/Midtown where most of the vibrancy and activity is centered? Like, is there a particular intersection that may be considered the heart of the neighborhood? I know that may sound like a ridiculously specific question, but we really enjoy when we can walk across the street for a really good dinner and the maybe walk a block down and bam, bars and clubs galore. Again, thanks.

Thanks for the tips guys. The reddit link will be especially helpful and I'm always up for a good brewery tour. What are some of the main streets in West End/Midtown where most of the vibrancy and activity is centered? Like, is there a particular intersection that may be considered the heart of the neighborhood? I know that may sound like a ridiculously specific question, but we really enjoy when we can walk across the street for a really good dinner and the maybe walk a block down and bam, bars and clubs galore. Again, thanks.

Good questions. West End/Midtown has a couple of 'hearts', including the Roundabout at Division Street and Demonbreun Street, the intersection of Broadway and West End Ave (not the most walkable section, though), and, I would argue, the Wedgewood and 21st Avenue intersection. You can walk down Broadway from the West End intersection all the way until it turns in to 21st Avenue and continues on through Hillsboro Village and have a continuous 'urban' stretch that includes shopping, dining, and entertainment. Division Street to Demonbreun and up Demonbreun is also a walkable section of shopping and dining.

A lot of it really depends on what sort of 'scene' you're in to. Are you more up for the touristy type of scene, college burger joint and bar, classic cocktails and fine dining, etc.?

Resident of Columbia, SC here, and I absolutely love Nashville! I have been three times, and was so surprised how nice it was, the first time I visited. You will truly have a good time. Try some of the local craft beer, and just wander around, and soak it all in. Great place and friendly people! Last time there we stayed at an affordable hotel on Demonbreun, which is away from the touristy Broadway area, but a short drive or walk. The area around Vanderbilt is really great, with lots of really good restaurants. Enjoy!  

Awesome info everyone. You guys rock.

Nathan, our scene is definitely dive spots, intimate live venues, and a plate with a good beer at a gastrolounge. We try to avoid the college crowds and overly touristy stuff unless its historical and not cheesy. After some searching I'm thinking Aloft will hit the spot. We appreciate everyone's input and if anyone thinks of anywhere off the wall, kinda crazy, or truly unique to check out we thank you in advance.

Based on your last post, I would absolutely suggest Elliston Place (street name and neighborhood name). Cross street is 21st-23rd. While many parts of Midtown are nice, many of the bars are very college-y as they are so close to Vanderbilt. Elliston is just a block or two away, but older and hip-grittier. Two long standing rock venues (Exit/In, The End) a new beer/burger joint (Hurry Back), a 24hr coffee shop with killer food and the best patio in town (Cafe Coco), an old school soda shop, sushi, donuts, bars, and it's a short walk to the beautiful Centennial Park. Unfortunately, not many hotels on the block, but it's only a few blocks from many of the Midtown hotels. Most definitely a "locals only" neighborhood. I'll bet you could even find an Air-BNB at a condo building called Elliston 23. 

Enjoy your stay! Oh, and don't be afraid to indulge your tourism just a tad. Lower Broadway "honkey tonks" are a blast, and there are a lot of historic buildings. Lower Broadway is definitely the heart of Nashville. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

go-vertical could have waited a few months and read the attached article from his hometown newspaper.  The Charlotte Observer had a nice article in there travel section about Nashville.  It purposely left country music sites off, so you could see the "other" Nashville.   I'm not sure why they called the Country Music Hall of Fame "Disneyesque".  Personally I find HOF's boring, including Charlottes's Nascar HOF.  I lived in Canton Ohio for a while and after so many times taking visitors to the NFL Football HOF it just became tedious.

I think a visit including country and alternatives could be very good.  But, all in all  pretty good article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/travel/article38092116.html 

Archived