The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Oh Tennessee drivers, and I just thought they were bad in rain and snow! Here's an article from today's Tennessean about how TN drivers are having trouble stopping at rail crossings. On another note, the picture of the train in the article looks really good. Not bad for some trains we bought for $1 from the city of Chicago! I look forward to seeing the interiors. :D

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS01/608080343

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone noticed the article in The City Paper about the trains running full speed. So excited! :yahoo: See ya on the train!!!!

Btw, the grand opening for the train is on September 15. They are going to have receptions at the DT and Lebanon stations with a train ride in between. I was downtown the other evening and saw them testing the train, it was great to see passenger rail in Nashville after such a long absence :thumbsup: !!

I am glad to learn that the ticket price will include connection to the MTA busses. Maybe that is part of why the prices are as high as they are. I am optimistic that the busses and commuter trains seem to be working together in Nashville, which makes the success of mass transit more likely. Perhaps this coordination will lead to improved, more reliable bus service for the city as well.

Yes, the ticket price is rediculously high. I think the fact that people have to transfer to buses could be a big turn-off as well. These are suburbanites we're talking about here. The whole reason they live out in the middle of nowhere is so they don't have to "mix" with the urban population - and that includes riding on buses with them. Tennessee Central Railroad should have convinced them to extend service out to the west side of town, I think TCR has some trackage in that direction as well. I guess they connect through the gulch on CSX track? Anyway - I will be curious to see how many people shell out $10 per day to ride that thing.

Tennessee Central Railroad ...

I said Tennessee Central, but after further investigation it's actually Nashville & Eastern RR. I guess they probably own little snippets of track all over nashville - I wish they had route maps.

Theck out this web site:

http://www.nerr.com/

It has a link to the Nahsville & Western RR - that's what I was talking about earlier when I was saying they had re-opened the ashland city rail line. I wish there were a way to find out if they have begun using the bridge over the bordeaux cumberland river again - that would be interesting. If NERR finds the MCS comm-rail system to be profitable (damn, I hope they're making a profit off that deal), then maybe the Ashaland city spur would be the next to see operation since it's owned by the same company.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode the train today. It was a nice, very smooth ride. Each car was about 65% full on both ways. I was talking with one of the conductors and they said since single passes went on sale in Mt. Juliet yesterday 270 of 300 passes had been sold. Hopefully this is a signal of people embracing this project. Overall, I must say it was such a great feeling to be on a passenger train in TN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A full 2 1/2 page spread in the Tennessean today. It was pretty impressive. It had basically all of the info that a rider would need to know. I imagine that this would help to inform many people whom are oblivious to the project. However, with revenue service starting on monday, I am surprised we haven't seen any actual advertising for the Star. With so many people that only get news from t.v. and not from the paper. Many potential riders might not know about it.

Anyways, here is the article....

Music City Star article

A full 2 1/2 page spread in the Tennessean today. It was pretty impressive. It had basically all of the info that a rider would need to know. I imagine that this would help to inform many people whom are oblivious to the project. However, with revenue service starting on monday, I am surprised we haven't seen any actual advertising for the Star. With so many people that only get news from t.v. and not from the paper. Many potential riders might not know about it.

I haven't seen any advertising on TV, but I have heard a fair amount on the radio...

I watched Channel 4 this morning, and they had a huge segment going all morning (that I was at home) on it. They showed the first people getting off, etc. They had a segment on it at 5, 6, and 10 news at well. I think I heard them say that they had 341 riders today...which is pretty impressive considering that their goal is about 40,000 a year (which they said this morning). I really think this will be a good thing for Nashville if it can take hold.

i'm not shocked turnout was so low.

they picked a horrible route. (nashville - lebanon)

when HELLO?! Interstate 40 has 6943580485 lanes to drive on.

NO one in that area needs to take the train.

shesh.

They picked the Lebanon line first because the tracks aren't owned by CSX. $40 million instead of hundreds of millions.

BTW: I rode the train this morning. It was perfectly on time, it was relaxing, it was fun. I almost cried it was so great. I'm a foamer.

They picked the Lebanon line first because the tracks aren't owned by CSX. $40 million instead of hundreds of millions.

BTW: I rode the train this morning. It was perfectly on time, it was relaxing, it was fun. I almost cried it was so great. I'm a foamer.

How many rode with you? Did others express delight in the ride too? I have a brother who lives in Hermitage, and I plan to ride the train myself the next time I visit him.

I'd say the number of people like myself who were riding just to check it out was maybe 10%. The rest were commuters. I was walking the length of the train while on route to Nashville and Bill Farquar (sp?) was sitting down by himself. He didn't seem to be in that great of a mood, but I wished him luck with the train and said he has my full support. I wish they had bumper stickers available.

BTW, they have free copies of the Tennessean available on the train! I don't know if that's a pernament thing or not. And at one of the stations, they had a guy with a coffee cart!

It beats the heck out of driving. I wish I lived on the route.

Glad to see the STAR service has actually began, I remember reading about it in the late 90's. Better late than never.

The starter schedule isn't bad, but I wished they had a train after 5:45pm. There are plenty of workers who get off between 5:30-7pm that won't be able to make it.

But for something that is brand new its a lot better than the original schedule I had envisoned when they talked about the numbers just last year.