The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

The shooting that occurred today at the Music City Bus Station in downtown will do more to discredit mass-transit in Nashville than anything Lee Beaman could do...

The headlines detailing 4 kids injured (1 critically) in the shooting are a PR nightmare.

6 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

And how many people are killed in wrecks and road rage incidents.

Not by a bus, they aren't. But that's the last thing on the minds of these people who would like nothing better than to do away with a transit system altogether. All this incident does is give more fodder to the anti-transit mentality and most certainly reinforces its racially-biased stigma.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

Not by a bus, they aren't. But that's the last thing on the minds of these people who would like nothing better than to do away with a transit system altogether. All this incident does is give more fodder to the anti-transit mentality and most certainly reinforces its racially-biased stigma.

Yup, there goes our new yet un-built expanded fancy bus fleet, streetcars, and light-rail all down the tubes ─ and not the subway type tube. LoL

It won't kill the aspirations-come-to-fruition, but it does become incendiary to arouse NIMBYs and their network more than normal, making it a steeper climb in staving off litigation.  Being a daily MTA rider to and from that MCC terminal, I've posted long before this of how lax security is around that thing.  Design and budget limitations are much to blame, as as well as policy, since everyone is permitted to criss-cross J-walk as she or he pleases, even with security watching, and a MNPD parked smack in the middle of the lower and upper busways with beacons flashing.  This is not to be unexpected, however, as it happens even in Portland and St.Louis, and everywhere else.  It just has not been as frequent at MCC and therefore is a "novelty of terror" and will remain so, until underlying issues at hand are addressed.  MTA would be better served to hire interior crossing guards to enforce strait-line perpendicular crossing at the designated walks and to permit buses from having to stop anytime a person "feels" entitled to just start traversing the cross-walks, one of 4 for each busway.

Anytime your Metro affords every student a free pass, you're going to have to beef up the infrastructure accordingly ─ security, boarding facilities, and peak capacity of vehicles.  MNPS has it made such that it can just dump off the disciplining of riders from school buses to be handled by the transit system, which we ALL know is marginal at best, if not woefully inadequate, and is quite ill-equipped in handling the surges of students swarming between, and especially within the buses.  When I worked as a substitute teach at a middle school some 10 years ago, we made certain that all school bus boardings were orderly prior to afternoon departures, and any exceptions were handled promptly, even if it meant summoning a resource officer.  Believe you me ─ I'm a veteran, and it's the single most annoying complaint among many if not most paying non-school riders who board in the late afternoon at MCS.  Fights occur almost every other day somewhere in that facility, even if it becomes quenched before it actually is noticeable.  Until the MTA can obtain new coaches to increase seated capacity, arrange for some semblance of order in boarding to control constant push and shove at the doors and prevent never ending jumping in front of waiting paying riders, and pre-empt some respect in etiquette for all while on the buses, then MTA will continue to lose choice riders, in a wholesale manner, during school-year terms, seldom ever to return. 

Again, this incident is only one which escalated to something of a media spectacle, I'm afraid.  It's going to require significant funding and policy changing as part of the entire transit scope. -==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

I did not make the claim that a car was safer than a bus, a plane, or a train. I simple stated the obvious...that this hurts prospects for mass-transit in Nashville.

As for stigmas .... I will let that lie as politics would soon follow.

Edited by Guest

..If the Nº 576 restoration does come to fruition, then the roadside effect can be quite alluring, as shown in this short video clip taken of another but more streamlined reciprocating-steam locomotive, shown near Highway US-29 near Reidsville, NC,  just south of the Va. State Line, during a weekend round-trip excursion (Apr 23, 24 2016, between Greensboro, NC and Roanoke, VA.  I rode this trip some 33 years ago,  The attraction seems to draw far more spectators, whose mission is to take video and photo shoots, than those who choose to ride it.

As strange and unorthodox as it my seem, these events draw hundreds and even thousands of special-interest followers (fanatics) nationwide, if the subject locomotive is relatively large and "modern" as far as steam locos are concerned (built 1930-1952).  Nº576 should be authorized to operate at least close to 60 mph between Tulip Grove (Hermitage) and West Lebanon, the same speed allowed currently for the MCS commuter runs. -==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Estimated 3,000 people per day would initially utilize a commuter train route between Clarksville and Nashville.  Cost would be $500+ million.  Lots of detail in this report:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/05/how-many-people-would-ride-a-500m-commuter-rail.html

I'm tired of reports and studies.  Just build something.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FrankNash said:

^^^ Worth doing if the train terminates in the Gulch. IMO

Unfortunately CSX owns the rail through their Kayne Avenue Yard adjacent to the Gulch. This proposal uses the Nashville and Western short line. Right now the study shows the track terminating at the Farmers' Market by way of Herman Street, all on N&W rail.

How about before we bring in all of these hypothetical commuter rail travelers, we make sure there is a way they can get to where they're going when they get here that doesn't involve walking for hours, calling a taxi, or waiting an hour for a bus.  We are putting the cart way before the horse with talk of all of these half-a-billion dollar commuter rail lines projected to move eight people back and forth from Bucksnort when the major population center of the region doesn't have it's transit needs even close to sorted yet.  I get that commuter rail has it's place in the grand scheme of things, but how about we focus on fixing that giant, gaping hole in the radiator before we dump all of our efforts into changing out the wiper blades.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

On 5/11/2016 at 9:18 PM, FrankNash said:

^^^ Worth doing if the train terminates in the Gulch. IMO

22 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Unfortunately CSX owns the rail through their Kayne Avenue Yard adjacent to the Gulch. This proposal uses the Nashville and Western short line. Right now the study shows the track terminating at the Farmers' Market by way of Herman Street, all on N&W rail.

As we discussed over the past 2 or 3 years, including the somewhat more recent proposal of this NW corridor thing, to me the best LONG-long-term way to do ANY commuter-rail comprehensive system, whether it is standard defined railroad rail, light rail, or some hybrid flavor, is to have direct-connected routes which meet or cross ─ not necessarily in the form of a single centralized terminal.

Nashville is not a Chicago or a New York ─ and formerly Philly with its former Reading Terminal ─ which can afford to maintain multiple terminals of railroad-type commuter rail terminals of routes not connected to each other, from a logistical standpoint to manage congestion.  Since Denver had enough cents sense to start their game quite early on, they now can boast a rather radical jump in their selection for their new FasTracks "A-line" airport route.  Instead of using new equipment compatible with their existing light-rail cars, it went whole-hog with full-railway type self-propelled overhead electric multiple unit cars (EMU), a very expensive but locally preferred alternative which has made Denver's RTD join the ranks of only a handful of other transit agencies with such a choice ─  Northern Indiana, Chicago, and Philly, although NYC currently uses 3rd-rail only, for its EMUs.  Not only this, but In addition to the A Line, two additional new electrified commuter rail lines are slated to open in 2017, with a 4th line of this type planned for operation by 2018.

I would never expect Nashville to have elected such a choice, but then I never supposed that Denver would have either.  My point is all this is that Middle Tenn. really needs to buckle down and consider some approaches more aggressive and bold, rather than tailor a proposal on the constraints on the remnants of an existing subsystem.  First, the selected NW corridor through Ashland City proposed the badly-needed replacement of the existing Bordeaux railroad bridge over the Cumberland River, but consultants had proposed a fixed span with the mandated shipping-channel water-lever clearance, which would require that approach grades adversely affect the performance of Nashville and Western RR's freight operation.  They argued against the use of a more modern vertical-lift-span bridge, commonly used throughout coastal regions, the Great Lakes, and even a couple of older instances in Chattanooga and New Johnsonville, TN, because of the expense of the typical maintenance of vertical-lift spans.  The fact is, this should not be a factor in this decision-making, as it really becomes a trade-off as a "necessary evil".  it just might be a better option to build a dedicated river crossing for the corridor service.

Second, but not last, rather than destroy an additional large swath of residential land in interstate-butchered North Nashville, in an attempt to provide better alignment in the Fisk-Meharry area, other more daring options could be proposed and analyzed, even if the options would be considerably beyond practical reach, in the near future ─ even if it meant a temporary-permanent station in north Midtown at Charlotte near 26th/27th.  This could entail "bridging" to a central location with a combination of tunnels and fly-overs to establish a common presence to accommodate connections from the NW and longer-ranged planned other corridor routes.

Even the current Star route could be made to tunnel or elevate in some manner to the North Capitol district with a NW corridor presence ─ costly but doable.  Without direct connections of these conceived distantly planned operations, it can become highly improbable that the region would lure substantial reverse-commute ridership into and away from the core, if these trains require and intermediate, stop-gap trip between rail connections.  But it takes a momentous will to effectuate such a coordinated and willful measure.  Otherwise, this region will end up with little more than a mess of disparate and possibly incompatible isolated systems.

Denver's new order of Korean manufactured, built in USA EMU's, very similar to a concurrent order for Philadelphia's SEPTA, but without vestibule steps for low platforms.  Just as with a shared recent design between Northern Indiana and Chicago, and between Miami and Baltimore (some 30 years ago), Denver was able to land a reduction in cost with its order of shared design cars with that of Philly.
Denver_RTD_FastTracks_Hyundai_Rotem_USA_vehicles-commuter-rail.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Could this elevated bus be the future to mass transit? I like that it can be implemented in less than 1 year, and at 1/5 of the cost to build light rail... and all them nashvillians who love their cars can still drive their cars!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3606602/What-possibly-wrong-China-unveils-elevated-bus-drives-cars.html

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Could this elevated bus be the future to mass transit? I like that it can be implemented in less than 1 year, and at 1/5 of the cost to build light rail... and all them nashvillians who love their cars can still drive their cars!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3606602/What-possibly-wrong-China-unveils-elevated-bus-drives-cars.html

In case you haven't noticed, there are a few power lines in Nashville that might shock the riders. We love our power lines even more than sidewalks!

• Like 2

If I were drunk in a taxi and from out of town and that thing went over my head, it would absolutely freak me out and scare the hell out of me. Even if I were stone cold sober, I would still be freaked. It would take some getting use to, as well as the idiot drivers needing to be in their lane.

• Like 1