The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

23 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I'm simply looking forward to "Funding Source proposed for xyz."

I noticed that Davidson County's sales tax rate is 2.25% on top of the state's 7%.  The state allows a maximum local sales tax of 2.75% which means Davidson County could increase its sales rate to 2.75%.  Rutherford County collects 2.75% although Sumner, Williamson, and Williamson have 2.25%.  Surely that extra .5%  would bring in millions of dollars which could be earmarked for transportation projects.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I noticed that Davidson County's sales tax rate is 2.25% on top of the state's 7%.  The state allows a maximum local sales tax of 2.75% which means Davidson County could increase its sales rate to 2.75%.  Rutherford County collects 2.75% although Sumner, Williamson, and Williamson have 2.25%.  Surely that extra .5%  would bring in millions of dollars which could be earmarked for transportation projects.

I doubt voters will approve, but I like the concept. 

Davidson County sales tax revenues in fiscal 2014 were $18.4 million. An extra .5% on the county rate would bring in an extra $4-5 million per year--a wholly insignificant amount weighed against a $6 billion transportation plan. I realize every dollar helps but it will take much more dramatic steps to fund this plan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoundScan said:

Davidson County sales tax revenues in fiscal 2014 were $18.4 million. An extra .5% on the county rate would bring in an extra $4-5 million per year--a wholly insignificant amount weighed against a $6 billion transportation plan. I realize every dollar helps but it will take much more dramatic steps to fund this plan.

Those numbers are simply incorrect. FY 2017 sales tax revenue is expected to be $388 million for Metro Nashville. Property taxes are expected to be $972 million. Half of sales tax revenues must go for education. Raising the tax rate to 2.75% would raise an additional $86 million, half of which would go to schools. The other half could be earmarked for transit. 

https://mgtvwkrn.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/042916_state-of-metro-budget-fact-sheet.pdf

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, SoundScan said:

Gas taxes definitely need to be raised, both federal and state. At the end of the day there will need to be some sort of public-private partnership or joint venture, with a significant amount of the total funds($1-2 billion+) coming from the federal level.

7 hours ago, SoundScan said:

This is true about proportionate funding against a proposal.  But it's also important that since this would be implemented in stages, viability of matching funding support also comes from making the case in commitment to these start-ups.  Further, I would expect the state eventually to give a decent-sized hand, once it too recognizes a perceived effectiveness of earlier segments up and running.

Cities almost never fully fund a proposed 20-25 year network all at once, nor do or can they necessarily plan funding that far in advance.   I stated something similarly about 3 years ago, that it takes something to get something else.  That's generally how it has worked with aggressive transit proposals, as well as with passenger rail, even though states prioritize such funding vastly differently.

Once the state and the Feds start seeing some bonafide, no-nonsense commitment with concerted effort from the region, then they'll almost certainly turn their heads.  But it takes work in both the "back-" and "front yards", not to mention "inside the house" as well.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

Those numbers are simply incorrect. FY 2017 sales tax revenue is expected to be $388 million for Metro Nashville. Property taxes are expected to be $972 million. Half of sales tax revenues must go for education. Raising the tax rate to 2.75% would raise an additional $86 million, half of which would go to schools. The other half could be earmarked for transit. 

https://mgtvwkrn.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/042916_state-of-metro-budget-fact-sheet.pdf

Doh! I stand corrected. Maybe next time I google sales tax revenues I should make sure I check the state, so I won't end up with the figures from Davidson County, North Carolina. I suppose I should have questioned why they seemed so minuscule for a county of 700K people. Thanks for checking again!

Edited by SoundScan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SoundScan said:

Doh! I stand corrected. Maybe next time I google sales tax revenues I should make sure I check the state, so I won't end up with the figures from Davidson County, North Carolina. I suppose I should have questioned why they seemed so minuscule for a county of 700K people. Thanks for checking again!

Yup, Davidson Co, NC, where I used to spend summers during the 1950s and early '60s ─ one of the furniture capitals ─ sprawling Thomasville, with the world's biggest Duncan Phyfe Chair.  It wasn't exactly Disney World there, though, spending all that time with grandparents.

thomasville_liar-back-chair-Statue.jpg

EDIT: Ironically, Thomasville, the largest town in Davidson Co, NC, lies within the southern extents of what now is officially the Amtrak Northeast Regional Service District.  For some 26 years now, this basically has served as an extension the Boston-Washington NE Corridor, and includes includes Richmond, Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte.   All this was made possible mostly by the concerted and unfettered conscientiousness of the states of NC and Va., in their strive to link by rail a number of their larger population centers, eventually even to include Asheville and Roanoke, with at least twice-daily connections both ways.  Trains no longer stop in Thomasville, as they did back during the '60s, but T-ville still lies in the middle of it all.

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Rookzie, I just want you to know that everytime I read one of your posts, it is Morgan Freeman's voice that I am reading it in.  

17 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I dunno, I kinda picture Steve Urkel.

That's an improvement (and compliment) over Mr. Peabody, I reckon ─ or even worse, Bullwinkle.  But I've even been compared to a Miniature Pinscher for some reason...:ph34r:

....^_^

• Like 3

13 hours ago, rookzie said:

Yup, Davidson Co, NC, where I used to spend summers during the 1950s and early '60s ─ one of the furniture capitals ─ sprawling Thomasville, with the world's biggest Duncan Phyfe Chair.  It wasn't exactly Disney World there, though, spending all that time with grandparents.

thomasville_liar-back-chair-Statue.jpg

EDIT: Ironically, Thomasville, the largest town in Davidson Co, NC, lies within the southern extents of what now is officially the Amtrak Northeast Regional Service District.  For some 26 years now, this basically has served as an extension the Boston-Washington NE Corridor, and includes includes Richmond, Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte.   All this was made possible mostly by the concerted and unfettered conscientiousness of the states of NC and Va., in their strive to link by rail a number of their larger population centers, eventually even to include Asheville and Roanoke, with at least twice-daily connections both ways.  Trains no longer stop in Thomasville, as they did back during the '60s, but T-ville still lies in the middle of it all.

Funny, i actually work for the City of Lexington, NC, which is in Davidson County, NC.  We are in the process of redeveloping our Depot District which includes a new train station (if we can ever get the funding for it).  Anyway, i don't want to bring you guys off topic, i enjoy reading everything going on in Nashville.

• Like 1