The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

3 hours ago, AronG said:

Man, It's exciting to see the plans starting to get more detailed (http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MayorsOffice/Nashville_524171v01.pdf), but I'm going to be fascinated to see how they go about this. If I understand, they're going to need to line up a minimum of 80 feet of right of way, not counting sidewalks, (102 feet at the platforms) all the way down Gallatin/Main from Briley to downtown. Looks like a pretty fun engineering/urban planning challenge. How are they going to do that on the narrow four-lane segments, e.g. from Ordway to Eastland?

I like a lot of what I see overall in that report as it relates to pedestrian access, sidewalks and bike lanes throughout Metro. I definitely don't envy Mayor Berry in trying to get this accomplished -- it looks like quite a chore, but these types of wholesale improvements are overdue.

As for the light rail along Gallatin, the render makes it appear that it would eliminate the option to make left turns along that entire stretch. I can't imagine that businesses along Gallatin and Main will be in favor of that, if that's truly part of the plan.

40 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

A world-class, electronic method of farepayment will be implemented throughout the system in 2018. MTA will begin working on adaptation to an all-door, proof-of-payment boarding system for buses on its most frequent routes.

Good stuff. 

3 things to work on and ridership will increase significantly.

1. EZ fare pay. That's a biggie and per your post - in the works (yay!).

2. More frequent services on major routes.

3. Clean & safe buses / bus station.

All executable without astronomical costs, methinks. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flatrock said:

Good stuff. 

3 things to work on and ridership will increase significantly.

1. EZ fare pay. That's a biggie and per your post - in the works (yay!).

2. More frequent services on major routes.

3. Clean & safe buses / bus station.

All executable without astronomical costs, methinks. 

I should be able to swipe a CC/Debit or buy a plastic MTA card that I can re-load via their website.

Extend hours on Preds, Titans, Friday/Saturday nights, NYE, et

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

I should be able to swipe a CC/Debit or buy a plastic MTA card that I can re-load via their website.

Extend hours on Preds, Titans, Friday/Saturday nights, NYE, et

Agreed. Also, I should've mentioned a highly functional and accurate real-time app showing bus location, ETA, etc. The current app blows. 

5 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

I like a lot of what I see overall in that report as it relates to pedestrian access, sidewalks and bike lanes throughout Metro. I definitely don't envy Mayor Berry in trying to get this accomplished -- it looks like quite a chore, but these types of wholesale improvements are overdue.

As for the light rail along Gallatin, the render makes it appear that it would eliminate the option to make left turns along that entire stretch. I can't imagine that businesses along Gallatin and Main will be in favor of that, if that's truly part of the plan.

If they do decide to go with any median-based LRT, they could stand to do their homework and research other domestic practices.   Last Saturday, I personally observed provisional left turns governed with signage and signals, along Cleveland's Van Aken Blvd in Shaker Heights.  While that roadway indeed has an unusually wide R.o.W., especially compared to those of urban-core of Nashville, the Blue Line" Rapid (referred to by locals), is flanked rather heavily by traffic during peak hours, and priority signaling is applied to the Rapid in certain instances, the same as for BRT, and movements at cross streets for both roadway traffic and the Rapid are managed by traffic control at certain distance intervals, which allow trains more efficient travel along their paths, even during off-peak periods.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AronG said:

Man, It's exciting to see the plans starting to get more detailed (http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MayorsOffice/Nashville_524171v01.pdf), but I'm going to be fascinated to see how they go about this. If I understand, they're going to need to line up a minimum of 80 feet of right of way, not counting sidewalks, (102 feet at the platforms) all the way down Gallatin/Main from Briley to downtown. Looks like a pretty fun engineering/urban planning challenge. How are they going to do that on the narrow four-lane segments, e.g. from Ordway to Eastland?

And this is why I was so frustrated last year when they started refurbishing the sidewalks. Nice. And then they'll all be ripped up within 5 years

Feel free to bash me. Just my opinion

8 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Dallas and Houston light rail story from NPT

Informative video.  I was shocked that Dallas (DART) projected only 1% growth over the next 4 years. With such a low ridership adoption (2%, from memory ), one would think the powers that be would find a team who could pop that number up significantly.  I'd be looking for a new CEO of DART. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting article. Technology and service delivery models are coinciding rapidly - that could disrupt public transportation models. Public - private partnerships with effective solutions at a fraction of the cost for more traditional services. Would love to know your thoughts...and hoping our city is considering all solutions. 

https://qz.com/1022789/why-it-matters-that-uber-and-lyft-are-becoming-more-like-public-transit/

Edited by Flatrock

^It sounds like what they're doing-fixed routes during peak commuting times-is just skimming off the profitable part of public transit and leaving us high and dry for the non-peak service that loses money but is essential for public transit to be a real alternative.  Unless you just like the buzzword "disruption" (I'm pretty sick of it already) I don't see how this is a good thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

Unless you just like the buzzword "disruption" (I'm pretty sick of it already) I don't see how this is a good thing.

I'm thinking about possibilities far beyond what's discussed in the article. And it intrigues me. Have a great weekend!  :)

If Lyft, Uber, etc. can design a private service that entices wealthier demographics out of their single-person vehicle commutes, they should have at it. I get why some transit advocates are a little prickly about this, because it obviously creates a two-tiered system and pushes public buses further downmarket. But with the tiny percentage of people using public transit right now, I just don't think there's much point in defending the status quo. And I feel like this is one example where there are some legitimate innovations that can be more nimbly introduced and honed by competitive free market providers (dynamic routes, integrated fares, wi-fi service, reputation tracking, marketing, etc.). Not to mention, of course, the great alleged impending introduction of autonomous vehicles...

There's always going to be a place for government operated public transit, and that's in dedicated right-of-way transportation. Basically, where the density is there to justify dedicated right-of-way, whether that's light rail tracks, dedicated BRT lanes, etc., it should always be owned and operated by the city for the benefit of the public.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AronG said:

If Lyft, Uber, etc. can design a private service that entices wealthier demographics out of their single-person vehicle commutes, they should have at it. I get why some transit advocates are a little prickly about this, because it obviously creates a two-tiered system and pushes public buses further downmarket. But with the tiny percentage of people using public transit right now, I just don't think there's much point in defending the status quo. And I feel like this is one example where there are some legitimate innovations that can be more nimbly introduced and honed by competitive free market providers (dynamic routes, integrated fares, wi-fi service, reputation tracking, marketing, etc.). Not to mention, of course, the great alleged impending introduction of autonomous vehicles...

There's always going to be a place for government operated public transit, and that's in dedicated right-of-way transportation. Basically, where the density is there to justify dedicated right-of-way, whether that's light rail tracks, dedicated BRT lanes, etc., it should always be owned and operated by the city for the benefit of the public.

I'm happy Nashville chose to embrace ride-sharing from the beginning. The biggest advantage Uber and Lyft have always had over public transit is real-time location services (as opposed to following a beaten path) and this addresses the biggest gripe I have with ride sharing as a method of reliable transportation; Unpredictable demand makes the cost too elastic (leading to "surge pricing"). If I don't have a car, but need to get to my night shift and there's a Pred's playoff game. I'm screwed. With pooling, I can afford to share a few seats if it cuts my cost in half. It's refreshing when companies economizing brings a cheaper product to the consumer without altering its intrinsic value.

• Like 1