The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

I dunno, it seems like a pretty tame exchange from where I sit... Ya know, not that I'm blaming y'all in the least, but at times it feels as though the inevitable "OH NOOOO, RUN FOR THE HILLS, IT'S POLITICAL TALK!!" reactions have a tendency to kind of create rougher seas rather than calmer waters.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nashwatcher said:

Exactly. I don't have kids but a large amount of my tax dollars go towards funding the education of others' children. And I'm happy about that. It's an overall positive. Much like mass transit. It has the potential to help many others and our city as a whole.

I really don't want to help others.  Been there done that.  It goes unappreciated,  it's never enough, and people continue to make the same mistakes that cost tax payers even more money. When does it stop?

3 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I really don't want to help others.  Been there done that.  It goes unappreciated,  it's never enough, and people continue to make the same mistakes that cost tax payers even more money. When does it stop?

Lol... when does what stop?  Humans being humans?  Having to pay for stuff that costs money?  You're not really making a whole lot of sense here.  

4 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I think the tax problem is centered on all the levels of government doing things that aren't within their realm of responsibility. Transit in a fast growing metro area is within that realm though.

The only 2 things that are certain are death and taxes. -Ben Franklin

• Like 1

So we've got light rail bringing people into downtown in the years to come likely. Would it be possible to have some sort of above ground circulator that helped people get to their final destination?

For example, the light rail comes down Murfreesboro Rd/Nolensville Rd and ends at a station at the Howard Office Building. From there a circulator goes down 2nd to Broadway, goes up the 12th, goes through the Gulch and returns down the Division St Connector back to the Howard Office Building (or however you wanted to create the loop...)

Just thinking out loud

Actually, I've wondered about something similar but on a broader scale. How viable would it be to have a "stacked light rail or monorail system;" something akin to building a track structure over the light rail, if that makes sense. I know it sounds far-fetched but it would solve the problem of back-and-forth traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How far away is the world from having hover transport?  Even if it was similar to large helicopters, with GPS, couldn't we have dedicated routes that fly below airplanes with all trees and towers mapped out to keep from colliding.  Fast transport with little infrastructure needed (other than landing ports).  Yes...the hover vehicles would be extremely expensive...but more than typical mass transit?  Basically just large human-carrying drones with preprogrammed routes.

I realize this may not work for short distances or downtown...but would definitely be an option outside of the core and especially to the suburbs and back.

This is actually becoming quite viable, and is expected to actually happen within the next 5 to 10 years (widespread or not.) There are many functioning prototypes already in the works, all of which have their pros and cons. I believe almost all of them are also autonomous and would rely on some form of integrated artificial intelligence to ensure safety. (this is aside from self driving vehicles.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

If we really want to be fiscally responsible we should stop spending money on roads and bridges in the counties that have very little population and/or contribute nothing to the TDOT fund. 

The people who live there obviously deserve roads that are maintained and in good condition, but I completely agree that I wish the state would stop dumping so much money into building all these big four lane state highways that are only connecting tiny rural burgs.  That is what really irks me.  One can say they have financial concerns about mass transit, but it is hard for me to take them seriously if they dont bat an eye at the hundreds of millions the state spends on A YEARLY BASIS on the construction and maintenence of mostly unnecessary roads.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4